PDA

View Full Version : Coal Lake versus Devil's Lake

SwampShark
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I need a smaller lake within ~1hr from Edmonton where I can C&R a bunch of pike. We are heading out in the canoe and the wife wants to catch "big fish" which means I won't be targeting any Perch. I was thinking Coal or Devil's. Thoughts?

pdfish
09-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I need a smaller lake within ~1hr from Edmonton where I can C&R a bunch of pike. We are heading out in the canoe and the wife wants to catch "big fish" which means I won't be targeting any Perch. I was thinking Coal or Devil's. Thoughts?

Neither, go to Mayatan. 35 minutes west, good lake for a canoe and some double digit pike as well.

jeffrey929
09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
There are lots of big Pike in Coal

Wulfespirit
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Neither, go to Mayatan. 35 minutes west, good lake for a canoe and some double digit pike as well.

Is Mayatan's launch roof-topper only?

-JR-
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Mayatan

hockey1099
09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
maytan or try wabamun?

hockey1099
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Is Mayatan's launch roof-topper only?

Last time i was there it was. i have never taken my boat just my buddies 12' lund that we pull off the top of his truck. If there is a regular launch i have never used it.

-JR-
09-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I would stay away from wab with a small boat this weekend.
Hopfully they will make it law that all boats will have a boat number on .
Had a lot of show off skiers etc coming way to close making large waves .

hockey1099
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I would stay away from wab with a small boat this weekend.
Hopfully they will make it law that all boats will have a boat number on .
Had a lot of show off skiers etc coming way to close making large waves .

good point i always forget about long weekend idiots. Never get why they just dont go to deep water where no one is fishing. Had two teens on jet ski's buzzing everyone at pigeon last week at one point they started to cut in between the boats off the pp. Would have loved to see some one cast a jig at them.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Mayatan

X 2 or even Lake Isle .

pdfish
09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Wabamun or Isle in a canoe could get pretty hairy pretty quick, with Wab definitely being the worse of the two. But, I've fished Isle enough to see it get pretty nasty and way too dangerous for a canoe in very short order. I still vote for Mayatan or possibly Mink.

Dik
09-03-2009, 01:14 PM
My nephews kids fish the South Seba shore line from a canoe almost every weekend with no problems. There is two public access spots to the water east of Sunshine Bay, west of Betula Beach (Google Maps).

There's a couple of bulrush patches really handy to these launches and a couple of little drop-offs nearby too. Jacks in the 2 lb. to 3 lb. class pretty much non stop. (PS: This is where I used to ice fish for large Whites...)

Going east towards Betula Beach and the old marina there are huge rock outcroppings that used to produce many good sized fish when I had my lake-lot there ... years ago.

Being on the south side of the lake, the wind can whip up a good sized chop in short order. Just keep your eye on the western horizon, you're sticking to the shore line for the Jacks so you should be good to go.

Dick

Safety D
09-03-2009, 09:42 PM
How about Lessard??

81viewsat
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I went there one Friday in July the water was like glass, the next morning I wanted to go fishing in my canoe, well we rowed out to the middle of the lake and the next minute we were fighting 2 foot waves. I do not recommend going there in a canoe. The waves come on too quick when the weather goes bad. There are pike in there up to 5lbs, but caught them off the shore

SwampShark
09-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Okay, now I searched the forum for Mayatan Lake and reports are very conflicting. Some say not to expect to catch much, some say you can catch lots of smaller pike. I'm not looking to fill my boat but I want to snag a few. I used to catch a handful at Devil's and they were an okay size. Somebody make this decision easy for me!

SwampShark
09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Went to Mayatan on Sunday. The pike fishing was slow. Caught a few of them here and there. I got bored and started to go after the tiny perch that I saw jumping. I didn't have any perch gear but managed to catch a few with a spinner (had the smallest hooks on it) and a peice of minnow. C&R of course - nothing worth keeping. All-in-all a nice little lake.