PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Tent double hub or large single

Skull Man
12-03-2021, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Eskimo 949 to either the 650xd or the 850xd, I'm looking to be able to overnight on the ice in it and I'm currently not sure if the 650 would be too crowded or enough room to fish and sleep for two people. We do some fishing on big windy over the year and...you guessed it...the double does get me worried about the wind profile (especially if the wind changes from initial setup).

Any experience/advice from the double hub owners (the good/bad) would be greatly appreciated.

Skull Man

SamSteele
12-03-2021, 10:32 AM
I have a Eskimo Quickfish 6iT, which is a double hub style. If I had to do it over again I would go with a large single. Same square footage, but easier to arrange things inside so holes aren't by doors.

SS

mlee
12-03-2021, 11:21 AM
I bought a 650xd last year and love it. Like mentioned you maybe give up a small amount of overall square footage to a double....but it's more usable space. But my main reasoning on going with a big single vs a double was that a single is much easier to put up and take down solo. I can easily do my 650 alone without fighting anything.....the doubles seem like they are always a 2 man job.

Moo Snukkle
12-03-2021, 11:42 AM
I’ve fished out of both put my preference for overnight would be the large single.
Overnights can be a pain if you bring too much “stuff”. Be minimalistic at first and add if you can find the space for it.

OL_JR
12-03-2021, 06:43 PM
I have a Eskimo Quickfish 6iT, which is a double hub style. If I had to do it over again I would go with a large single. Same square footage, but easier to arrange things inside so holes aren't by doors.

SS

Have the same shelter and have been pretty happy with it although I've never tried a large single shelter. Seems to work ok with the holes punched along the length of the shelter and have used it as an overnight shelter. Cots go at the very ends (two people) and the middle is left for fishing area.

I bought a 650xd last year and love it. Like mentioned you maybe give up a small amount of overall square footage to a double....but it's more usable space. But my main reasoning on going with a big single vs a double was that a single is much easier to put up and take down solo. I can easily do my 650 alone without fighting anything.....the doubles seem like they are always a 2 man job.

Biggest issue I have with the double is getting it back into the bag on a cold day with a lot of frost build up on the interior but getting it to that point is less than a minute job in my experience. Roof first then sides. And the bag issue has seemed to have improved from what I can gather. Not trying to sway one way or the other but set up and takedown isn't an issue imho. If the singles are faster we are talking seconds.

Sundancefisher
12-03-2021, 07:44 PM
If you have not weight limitations go with a double hub, insulated. Get a heater that sits on a propane bottle. You can put holes in each corner and one in the middle. LOts of space

RACKER
12-03-2021, 10:02 PM
I own a double from Eskimo and it has been a good tent but i just looked at a new Otter pro lodge with a full door and it is a great shelter.So much usuable space with great tie down points,hose ports,high ceiling and quality fabric.Im an eskimo guy and i would rank the otter better than the 450 or 650 xd.It was 600 at Cabelas before black friday specials and that is another reason to buy.I would definitely go with this single.

Skull Man
12-04-2021, 07:17 AM
I own a double from Eskimo and it has been a good tent but i just looked at a new Otter pro lodge with a full door and it is a great shelter.So much usuable space with great tie down points,hose ports,high ceiling and quality fabric.Im an eskimo guy and i would rank the otter better than the 450 or 650 xd.It was 600 at Cabelas before black friday specials and that is another reason to buy.I would definitely go with this single.

Racker - is this the Otter Vortex Pro Lodge Thermal (114" X 114") you're talking about? The dimensions they post on the Otter website are smaller than the 450xd (139" X 138"), this may be just in how each company measures but the pictures also seem to show the Pro Lodge as smaller than the 450xd? The 650xd has dimensions of 143" X 135".

timsesink
12-04-2021, 07:54 AM
I owned a double hub Eskimo for years and loved it but recently upgraded to the single hub otter pro lodge with the door. Love the new layout and it feels like there's much more usable space.

AlbertanGP
12-04-2021, 09:47 PM
I have an Eskimo 9416i and an Otter Vortex Resort I just picked up this Fall. If you know you're going out with two people, I'd likely give the nod to the double hub style. They allow you to have a separate sleeping area and fishing area...at least that's how we use ours. If you plan to be out alone more often than not, I'd go with a big hex hub like the Otter Resort or Eskimo 650XD (which is why I bought mine). There is plenty of room for one person (single hubs like the Eskimo 949 or Otter Lodge are too small for overnighting IMO). Both types are big and heavy when you're out alone, but the hex hubs are easier to manhandle alone.

Wind is wind. They should all be fine if you anchor them down completely (Otter's system is better than Eskimo's). With a double hub system you can "point" it into the wind. With a hex hub you obviously can't, but it does provide a better profile to begin with.

I think the hex hubs are more versatile. I agree with Clayton Schick when he said in one of his recent videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2LjpgQGcpw) that if he could keep only one hub shelter it would be his Vortex Resort. He also has the Vortex Monster Lodge. ;)

old dog
12-05-2021, 09:47 AM
I like the double hub style. We drill the holes all in a line with one outside the tent for the camera. That way we can see down the line of all the hooks. And our cots fit perfect when sleeping over night. Do have to watch wind direction on that big flat side