PDA

View Full Version : Catching Non-listed Fish

FULL METAL JEEP
09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
when you look in the guide, find the body of water your fishing, and what species is available to catch and any limits or other info, what if you catch a fish not listed?

for instance, I caught an 18" brown in the Elbow River downstream of 22x. In the book it says you can keep rainbow and cut throat over 35", and whities over 30" (or something), but doesnt mention browns or brooks. So if you catch a brown or a brook, can you keep it regardless of size? Does it too have to be over 35" like the listed trout? is it automatic release? What if you caught a pike?

regardless I released it in hopes of finding a larger fish, which didnt happen.

WayneChristie
09-03-2009, 08:14 PM
if its not listed, the regular provincial regulations apply. have the same "problem" around here with walleye being in lakes they arent listed in :D

baitfisher83
09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
it's cm's btw not inches.....browns in the elbow huh??gonna have to try it out sometime

FULL METAL JEEP
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
if its not listed, the regular provincial regulations apply.

sorry kind of new to the whole thing here... what would be the regular provincial regs??

WayneChristie
09-03-2009, 08:24 PM
it's cm's btw not inches.....browns in the elbow huh??gonna have to try it out sometime

there was a beaver lodge in the river bank right in Stanley Park, used to eat my lunch there, and there was a huge brown that lived under it, bit a few of my hooks off! there are some nice pike in that stretch too, and lots of whitefish

WayneChristie
09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
look in the copy of the regulations you get with the license, there are general size and possesion limits for bodies of water not specified specifically.

FULL METAL JEEP
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
it's cm's btw not inches

DOH!!!:mad3:

huh.... well there is a couple of lucky fish out there then! haha!

WayneChristie
09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
ahh, next time they will be even bigger :D besides everyone in Calgary pee's in that water, you really want to eat something that swims in 1 million peoples pee? :evilgrin:

Rick.
09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Am i going nuts or what. Were is the Elbow, downstream of 22x ? I'm not following the geography or hopefully it's just a typo. Rick.

kostianych
09-03-2009, 10:48 PM
he is talking about Elbow, downstream of 22......

from regs:

from Hwy 22 downstream to Glenmore Reservoir and tributaries
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm: Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

ALSO: B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species NOT mentioned at a listed stream.
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.

as we can see, no Browns in the regs..........BUT, according to the reg, you can keep 2 brouns with no size limit (but ONLY June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2)

tatonkagp
09-04-2009, 04:46 PM
birds beaver moose elk deer and any other type of animal you can think of pee and poop in bodies of water, do you eat those fish?

DiehardFishingMan
09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
when you look in the guide, find the body of water your fishing, and what species is available to catch and any limits or other info, what if you catch a fish not listed?

for instance, I caught an 18" brown in the Elbow River downstream of 22x. In the book it says you can keep rainbow and cut throat over 35", and whities over 30" (or something), but doesnt mention browns or brooks. So if you catch a brown or a brook, can you keep it regardless of size? Does it too have to be over 35" like the listed trout? is it automatic release? What if you caught a pike?

from regulations:

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

DiehardFishingMan
09-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Regulation for ES1:

ES1 Site-Specific Regulations
The names of most lakes and major streams appear alphabetically under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings.” Smaller streams often are not listed, but may be included in regulations as tributaries to lakes or larger streams.

LAKES

A. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in ES1 that are named under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program.”
Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait, except bait fish, allowed.

B. For Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

C. For other ES1 Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds not included under (A) or (B) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed lake.
Open all year – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait, except bait fish, allowed.

STREAMS

A. For Streams listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.

kostianych
09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
birds beaver moose elk deer and any other type of animal you can think of pee and poop in bodies of water, do you eat those fish?

what do you eat?????????? are you a vegetarian??????