PDA

View Full Version : Lund 1650 Rebel XL - Feedback

Prairiewolf
12-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Considering getting into a boat in advance of the 2022 season, and Lunds have always held sway with me (thanks to alot of In-Fisherman watching as a boy).

I see the Lund 1650 Rebel XL as being something to consider. It'll be myself and my wife (2 people mostly, maybe trending up to 4 on occaision).

I'm not an experienced boater and this size of boat seems manageable, towable, etc.

Any experience and feedback on these models (or comparables) would be appreciated. I'm going to have to get approval from the wife so I need to get my story straight. Thanks.

AlbertanGP
12-08-2021, 09:58 AM
I think it's a good boat. All I'm going to add in terms of getting your story straight for the wife is to make sure you don't get anything less than a 90HP if it's the Sport (full windshield) variant you're considering (and it probably should be if the wife is involved). ;) With two jump seats way back in the stern, you'll have problems planing with four people with anything less.

fish99
12-08-2021, 11:11 AM
we have one with the side console and powered by a 40 hp Yamaha top speed about 30mph. . i think the boat is rated for 60 hp. easy to tow and fish out of for 2 people. fishing 4 people would be crowded . has lots of storage and a live well . u do not need a deep boat launch to get her in the water. great boat for Alberta lakes .

35 whelen
12-08-2021, 01:01 PM
My son has one that's about 4 5 years old I don't know what happened but after the second year he was on a trip somewhere and the whole front of the boat the aluminum is all rippled and damaged anyway Lund would have nothing to do with it he eventually got insurance money for it but the boat was written off and he still has it I would check on your warranty before buying any Lund this was a brand new two-year-old boat

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

35 whelen
12-08-2021, 01:02 PM
I think there's a post on here somewhere from a couple years ago about it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

TROLLER
12-08-2021, 01:10 PM
Lund makes a good boat but I am not a fan of the side consul. If you find one with a walk through windshield you will have more room and if the waves come up your partner won't get soaked.

heymshooter
12-08-2021, 01:13 PM
Lunds are wet in the wind so if you want a happy wife get one with a roof

AlbertanGP
12-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Lunds are wet in the wind so if you want a happy wife get one with a roof

What boat isn't wet in the wind? And specifically what tin boat that smacks the waves?

Prairiewolf
12-08-2021, 03:55 PM
I think it's a good boat. All I'm going to add in terms of getting your story straight for the wife is to make sure you don't get anything less than a 90HP if it's the Sport (full windshield) variant you're considering (and it probably should be if the wife is involved). ;) With two jump seats way back in the stern, you'll have problems planing with four people with anything less.

Definitely going full windshield, plus the roof (I like boating but day after day in the glaring sun will destroy my Irish skin).

Awesome feedback on the motor and the payload - would never have thought about that. Thanks!

Frank_NK28
12-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Are you talking 4 people for just cruising or 4 people for fishing? I run an 18' Targa and I find it perfect for just myself and one other when fishing, throw in a second passenger and it becomes maxed out for fishing in my opinion. I've never had 4 in the boat to fish and never will. I'd put 4 for a day of just fun and cruising though without feeling crowded. A 16 ft boat is even smaller both in length and beam so you'll be tight with 4....

SamSteele
12-09-2021, 01:53 PM
Are you talking 4 people for just cruising or 4 people for fishing? I run an 18' Targa and I find it perfect for just myself and one other when fishing, throw in a second passenger and it becomes maxed out for fishing in my opinion. I've never had 4 in the boat to fish and never will. I'd put 4 for a day of just fun and cruising though without feeling crowded. A 16 ft boat is even smaller both in length and beam so you'll be tight with 4....

Depends on the style of fishing you do. If you are casting, yes 4 in a boat can be a bit crowded. Especially if they aren't all the experienced and the hooks start whizzing by heads. If you are jigging, no issues. If you are trolling, longer rods for those out the sides combined with rod holders helps keep things from getting tangled.

OP, I would get looking at inventory earlier rather than later due to the shortages across the industry.

SS

Coiloil37
12-09-2021, 01:57 PM
I had the 1725 for a few years with a 90 on the back and a full windshield. That was the first boat I ever owned without a tiller and wasn’t sure if I was making the right choice. After owning it I would never go back to a side console or tiller, the full windshield is definitely where it’s at. Overall I loved the boat but it wasn’t perfect.

IMO

They’re to light and don’t handle much swell or chop with any amount of speed.

The way the transom drops down leads to a lot of water coming over the back with a following sea or when backing up. They should of left it full height but wave whackers would help with that.

Mine was very sensitive to trim and weight distribution, often leading to porpoising on plane with much speed and any amount of wave action. Likely that could of been avoided by putting a few of the batteries up in the bow as I had all three batteries plus a 9.9 kicker in the back.

They ride wet and they bang but light alloy boats all do that.

The boat was slow to plane with a 90 merc (even before I added the kicker) and the bow used to come up quite high leading to a loss of visibility for a few seconds. Again the weight distribution would of helped, perhaps a different prop or more HP. I just dealt with it.

Overall, love the boat and the memories we made with it. The layout was practical and fishable. The bimini and full windshield were great for comfort and a step up from the junk I owned prior.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211209/6af75a073390b02dec34f53f5c7a3962.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211209/a70b30a94fecafba5023d1e26e3c9f33.jpg

Cageyc
12-10-2021, 08:24 AM
I’ve always been a Lund guy but because of price, I chose a crestliner and am very happy. Do your homework and shop around. I sure you’ll enjoy whatever you buy.

Positrac
12-10-2021, 09:05 AM
They are great lake boats or for the occasional trip out on the chuck in good weather.

I’ve seen a lot that had issues with the paint bubbling when always used in salt water. I’ve also had two hulls replaced under warranty from Lund because of cracking at the rivets and I know of several other people who also had hulls replaced. Mind you, these were boats that were built in the late 80’s into the 90’s and always used on the ocean where the water was quite often choppy.

Back in the day before welded aluminum fishing boats became real popular there was a lot of Lunds on the water around Campbell River. Next to a Whaler it was the second most common boat out there. There are a lot better choices these days and you don’t see a lot of new Lunds on the chuck any more.

SamSteele
12-10-2021, 11:04 AM
There have been a couple posts here about warranty on these boats, so I feel it's important to point out that the lifetime hull warranty on most brands only applies to the original owner. If you buy one used it typically has a prorated warranty for 10 years from date of original purchase, so on year 9 only 10% of the cost would be covered.

The best warranty is the one you never have to use, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

SS