PDA

View Full Version : What 50cc Atv For Christmas?

Jerry D
12-09-2021, 05:44 AM
Looking to purchase a pair of 50cc atvs for the boys. They have riden the electric 12/24volt ones for the past 2-3 years and are ready to graduate to something that can handle the trails.

I have looked at the 48volt machines and no doubt they seem to work much better on rough ground compared to the 12/24v machines. These electric ones are from Rosso Motors in BC and Venom Motor Sports in Ottawa and are approx 1200.00. I believe both are made in China.

I can get into 50cc machines for a little more than double that and I know to avoid the chinese machines.

I like honda, but they start at 90cc. Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki, and others such as Suziki and Artic Cat have 50cc units.

The manufactures recommend 50cc for kids 6+ and right now the boys are 5 and 7.

When will the kids outgrow the 50cc? Besides the proven trx90 Honda being too big, I'm somewhat partial to the Yamaha atvs but don't have experience with those other brands. We do have polaris ranger and I'm happy with it. Would probably get the best prices on polaris machines.

DirtWarrior
12-09-2021, 08:10 AM
Don’t let the cc’s throw you off.

I started my 5yr old off with one of those 90cc Chinese quads when he was 5. Finicky machine but once you get the bugs worked out it ran well. The problem was ground clearance, there really is only 3-4” because of the small tires. So at 7 I got him a Yamaha grizzly 125 and looking back I should have done that right off the bat. The throttle is adjustable so you can turn them right down to 5 km/h I believe, they have at least 5-6” of clearance if not more, but most importantly they are a stable machine. He ran that machine until he was 12 or 13 then I moved him up to a Kodiak 450. Another plus is those little machines will run forever and hold their resale value.

If I were you I’d go straight to the Japanese machine and not worry about the bigger cc machines. I believe the 90’s and 125’s have the same chassis, and being able to adjust the throttle gives the edge to the 125cc.

Good luck

SamSteele
12-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Don’t let the cc’s throw you off.

I started my 5yr old off with one of those 90cc Chinese quads when he was 5. Finicky machine but once you get the bugs worked out it ran well. The problem was ground clearance, there really is only 3-4” because of the small tires. So at 7 I got him a Yamaha grizzly 125 and looking back I should have done that right off the bat. The throttle is adjustable so you can turn them right down to 5 km/h I believe, they have at least 5-6” of clearance if not more, but most importantly they are a stable machine. He ran that machine until he was 12 or 13 then I moved him up to a Kodiak 450. Another plus is those little machines will run forever and hold their resale value.

If I were you I’d go straight to the Japanese machine and not worry about the bigger cc machines. I believe the 90’s and 125’s have the same chassis, and being able to adjust the throttle gives the edge to the 125cc.

Good luck

I don't disagree with you, but wanted to comment that my son figured out how the throttle adjustment worked pretty quick. It wasn't long before it wasn't holding him back anymore.

SS

Big Lou
12-09-2021, 08:26 AM
My kids started on a 50cc and we’re done with it at the ages yours are at now. I purchased them a Polaris 110cc and it was a great little machine. Has two power modes that only require a single wire swap under the seat. My boy rode it up until this summer at 12 years of age. My daughter who is 14 now, has been riding my Grizzly 700 for two years. I just made my own throttle stopper so she couldn’t get crazy on speed and she has handled it well. I have loved owning some smaller CC machines but it has surprised me how quickly riding skills advance in little people.

On the skidoo side of things, they are into 300 and 370 fan cooled machines.

Jerry D
12-09-2021, 08:45 AM
Well I chatted with some others with some experience

Their advice is the 50 will be outgrown in a year or two.

Go straight with the 90. Use the governor.

An adult can ride the 90 too apparently.

DirtWarrior
12-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Well I chatted with some others with some experience

Their advice is the 50 will be outgrown in a year or two.

Go straight with the 90. Use the governor.

An adult can ride the 90 too apparently.

The 125’s are the same chassis and can be governed down to the same speeds, just food for thought.

Sooner
12-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Go 90cc and use the throttle adjuster if you have to. I bought the Bombardier 90 way back when as a first atv and the kids did great(a little older than yours though). Soon as they start growing your upgrading again. Get the 90 or a 125 and forget about it for a few years. Stay with name brands and away from the cheap china stuff. Their good until you need parts.

Smokinyotes
12-09-2021, 05:13 PM
My boy was 2 when he started riding a Suzuki LT50. My daughter was 4 on a Polaris scrambler 50. When my boy turned 4 he got the scrambler 50 and I got my daughter a scrambler 90. Wasn’t long my son out grew the scrambler 50 so I sold it and bought a Arctic cat 90. It was a piece of crap and only had it two weeks. I took back the Arctic cat and got a Eton Viper 90R. It wasn’t much better than the arctic cat.

The following spring my daughter got a Suzuki Ozark 250 and my son a Honda TRX 90.

Your boys are big enough for TRX 90’s. That will last them for quite a few years and you will probably be able to sell them for what you paid for them.

huntinstuff
12-09-2021, 05:27 PM
I bot the boys a 50cc Polaris when they were young. I had no experience with Polaris, but the machine worked flawlessly

It isnt a powerhouse for deep snow (2wheel drive), but it started and ran every time.

I believe it was called a sportsman at that time. And when we sold it years later, i got $500 less than i paid for it so i think those little quads retain value

Immigrant
12-09-2021, 05:36 PM
I have a 90cc yamaha raptor. When my boy was 5 I had the throttle chocked back, but it would not spool up the clutch enough to get going. I had to push him to go, and the speed when chocked back was “just right”. . I got him a yamaha 50cc and it was “ok”. Not too fast, but a little too slow? He rode his 50cc honda bike more than the quad, and then progressed to a 70cc Suzuki. I guess every kid is different in what he feels comfortable with. I sold the 50cc quad and bikes spring of this year. He is 8 now and the 90cc (with no restrictions) is just right for him. I ride the 90cc once in a while and it goes plenty fast for me.
Whatever you buy, you will be able to sell for what you bought it for. These small machines hold their value. Don’t rush them though….they have to figure it out by themselves…..2 broken arms and a broken collarbone later… so don’t be worried with buying too small in the spring and them outgrowimg it by the fall. You will not lose money.
And all the brand name machines are Chinese with brand name decals. Yamaha used a 50cc Aeon motor. I think all the 50cc brand names use that motor.
50cc 5-7 years old
90cc 6-9 years old