PDA

View Full Version : Massive Halibut Caught by Kayak Angler in Alaska

58thecat
12-09-2021, 02:49 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/video/massive-halibut-caught-by-kayak-angler-in-alaska/vi-AARF2zq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

I have been pulled around Cold Lake by Lake Trout could only imagine going through this battle!

TROLLER
12-09-2021, 03:11 PM
What a great memory that guy has now. An adventure you will never forget.

HuyFishin
12-09-2021, 03:39 PM
I posted this video on here last month!

This is actually a new kayak guide service in alaska! its pretty sweet! I wanna try it sometime.

Head Lice
12-09-2021, 04:35 PM
They're referred to as 'barn doors' here . . .

Smoky buck
12-09-2021, 04:41 PM
They're referred to as 'barn doors' here . . .

That fish is nice but not barn door status in my opinion

58thecat
12-09-2021, 04:47 PM
I posted this video on here last month!

This is actually a new kayak guide service in alaska! its pretty sweet! I wanna try it sometime.

I must have missed it!
Was hunting but this popped up and it got my yak blood flowing!
Would be a rush for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positrac
12-09-2021, 05:17 PM
That fish is nice but not barn door status in my opinion

I’d agree. Double that to get in the barn door league. Beauty Hali though just the same and quite the feat to get it in a kayak. We had hard enough time getting a 65lb Hali in a aluminum this past summer. I can’t believe how lucky he was to just have it lay there. That could have ended really badly…

A guy I knew who passed away a few years back landed a 55lb Spring up in Rivers Inlet out of a kayak well before they became popular to fish out of. A pic of him holding the slab draped over the his kayak taken from another boat was his obituary pic…

Smoky buck
12-09-2021, 05:29 PM
This thread does make me want to make a trip to kitimat with the kayak.

I know a few spots I could launch from the logging roads that would be a short peddle to halibut :)

owlhoot
12-10-2021, 09:00 AM
What a fish, He's lucky it was docile and didn't thrash his kayak.
My best Halibut is 89 lbs and this one was quite a bit bigger

North40Rules
12-10-2021, 09:07 AM
What a fish, He's lucky it was docile and didn't thrash his kayak.
My best Halibut is 89 lbs and this one was quite a bit bigger

What a great Halibut!

I was thinking the same thing. I definitely would not try that unless I had a backup crew on a real boat like a Kingfisher really close, like within screaming distance! You would not last too long if you went into the water where I fish for halibut.

During the whaling days that was known as the Nantucket Sleighride!

Cheers N40

https://i.imgur.com/Qtwm444.jpg

Mr. Twister
12-11-2021, 04:41 PM
To me that's irresponsible to target halis out of a kayak for the fish and the fisherman. Its a bit disappointing to see the applause.

Smoky buck
12-11-2021, 05:14 PM
To me that's irresponsible to target halis out of a kayak for the fish and the fisherman. Its a bit disappointing to see the applause.

Now I really need to drag the kayak to Kitimat :sHa_shakeshout:

CardiacCowboy
12-12-2021, 07:22 AM

Why?

58thecat
12-12-2021, 08:21 AM

Please elaborate on this statement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teledogs
12-12-2021, 08:52 AM
That's a great catch!
I am surprised at how stable his kayak is.

KegRiver
12-12-2021, 10:06 PM
Last time we went to Prince Rupert I hooked big Halibut next to a little island between Lucy Island and the entrance to the harbor channel.

Now I don't know anything about Halibut but my kid brother has caught a few and he told me this one looked to be about three times the size of a 65 bound Halibut he caught the previous year.

It wasn't much of a fight. When it took the bait it hardly fought at all. I thought I had hooked a small Rockfish. I had no trouble reeling it to the surface.
For close to a minute it just hung there, tail down, nose at the surface.

Brother grabbed the landing net but when he reached out to scoop it up the fish gave one swish with it's tail and it was gone. I couldn't stop it. It just ran out the line till it broke free.

It was like trying to stop a car driving down the highway, with a Salmon rod.
Yeah, that's what I was using. It was more then I needed for what we expected to catch there. We only had about sixty feet of water under the boat.

Three or four minutes and it was all over. It's the only live Halibut I have ever seen.

Wish I could watch the video, but this old puter won't do it for me.