PDA

View Full Version : Which Size of Buddy Heater?

StringTheory
12-09-2021, 03:52 PM
Hey all,

Buddy heaters are the most popular choice for heating your tent and over the years I've owned every size of buddy heater they make. After all that experimenting I finally settled on the medium sized "Portable Buddy" as the best all-rounder.

So, what buddy heater are you all running for your tent? Is your tent insulated or not?

My 8'x8' insulated Otter lodge hub is plenty warm with my portable buddy on low, even when the winds pick up and the temp drops to -20C (-4F).

Theres also a neat table with run times for heaters on 1lb bottles over at IDO that I posted on my blog here:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/choosing-a-mr-heater-for-your-ice-shelter/

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_6275-2-930x620.jpg

JohninAB
12-09-2021, 03:57 PM
I used the Big Buddy in my old 949i insulated tent and now in my insulated Eskape 2600 flip over. Keeps me toasty warm most days on low. Went with the Big Buddy as I got a heck of a deal on it thru Canadian Tire plus rather have too much heater versus not enough.

I use a 20lb propane tank and have the Buddy in-line filter on it.

58thecat
12-09-2021, 04:51 PM
I always bring two little buddy heaters out.
Refill my own 1lbs bottles.
Like the fact that they are so portable and easy to use.
Hunting,fishing,travelling I take them with me.

My tent is uninsulated and we are toasty warm with two on if temps are -20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertanGP
12-09-2021, 04:53 PM
I'm going home in 10 minutes to build a Smitty sled and pack for a weekender on the ice, so I don't have a lot of time for a big post. All I'm gonna say for now is the Portable can be hacked to heat better than a Big Buddy, and avoid the Flex as it's overpriced caca that takes up way too much space. More to follow at some point.

Sooner
12-09-2021, 05:25 PM
I used the Big Buddy in my old 949i insulated tent and now in my insulated Eskape 2600 flip over. Keeps me toasty warm most days on low. Went with the Big Buddy as I got a heck of a deal on it thru Canadian Tire plus rather have too much heater versus not enough.

I use a 20lb propane tank and have the Buddy in-line filter on it.

I bought the same from a CT flyer sale 3 yrs ago for ice fishing, never used it. Went to a ground deer blind this fall at a friends farm. Basically a 2 person ice fishing tent with big windows. First day long sit we went through a few bottles.

Next sit I had the filter, longer hose and a half full BBQ tank. That tank lasted till the last weekend of Nov, sitting full days sat & sun. Kept us warm with -20 Windchill's and the windows opened a bit.

And that fan ran most of the time we sat and didn't kill the batteries which blew me away. Didn't get any smelly propane off gas either.

Very happy with the Big Buddy heater now that I finally used it.

Sundancefisher
12-09-2021, 05:45 PM
Little buddy will take the cold off in a one man tent at - 30.

Won’t do much in a 4 man or bigger.

Need bigger.

Hunter4ever12
12-09-2021, 05:55 PM
I run a big buddy in my flip over and pop up tent which are both insulated,I also use it in the spring for bear hunting in my cargo trailer. My thought was I’d rather have to much then not enough.

58thecat
12-10-2021, 08:16 AM
Little buddy will take the cold off in a one man tent at - 30.

Won’t do much in a 4 man or bigger.

Need bigger.

That’s why I run two little buddy heaters in my uninsulated 4 man tent if temps are -20 or colder but for the most part one is enough.

I gauge the performance by keeping the holes from freezing over.....if that happens then I am toast you warm higher up.:)

Talking moose
12-10-2021, 09:10 AM
Go big. That way the heat is there if you need it. It doesn’t take up more room as they are close to the same size.
A big buddy on half will use the same amount of propane and produce the same amount of heat as the buddy. But should you want extra heat, the big buddy is ready for you to turn the knob.

58thecat
12-10-2021, 11:34 AM
Go big. That way the heat is there if you need it. It doesn’t take up more room as they are close to the same size.
A big buddy on half will use the same amount of propane and produce the same amount of heat as the buddy. But should you want extra heat, the big buddy is ready for you to turn the knob.

Then get two in case one craps out!

Poppa
12-10-2021, 03:46 PM
We ran a double sunflower in our uninsulated double bubble, and it was way too hot. The "Regular" Buddy is just about perfect. Once we get an insulated this year, it'll be TOASTY with the regular buddy on medium, I think.

mlee
12-10-2021, 06:33 PM
I have regular and big buddy and I fish out of an eskimo 650xd which is a 90sqft hub and insulated. The regular buddy is enough till about -15. The big buddy is enough till -30.....after that I need both. And when I say enough....I mean fishing in sweats and a hoody. I do lots of overnight trips and I always bring both for those.

LUNKDAWGEH
12-10-2021, 07:17 PM
Big buddy with 5lb propane tank. 5 lber is nice and light and you can get usually 3 - 5 trips out of it depending on usage and temperature. Pretty cheap at ctire from what I recall.

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk

58thecat
12-11-2021, 07:47 AM
I have regular and big buddy and I fish out of an eskimo 650xd which is a 90sqft hub and insulated. The regular buddy is enough till about -15. The big buddy is enough till -30.....after that I need both. And when I say enough....I mean fishing in sweats and a hoody. I do lots of overnight trips and I always bring both for those.

I think that is the key bringing two just in case and going with a insulated tent.

My next one will be insulated burn less fuel to stay warm:)

Also looking at the buddy flex/cooker system too as an addition to the ice fishing adventures.

mlee
12-11-2021, 08:18 AM
I think that is the key bringing two just in case and going with a insulated tent.

My next one will be insulated burn less fuel to stay warm:)

Also looking at the buddy flex/cooker system too as an addition to the ice fishing adventures.

For reference a 10lb tank will last more than 48hrs running the big buddy.

GrillBoss
12-11-2021, 10:18 PM
I have both and I use the regular size Buddy in my smaller insulated tent and the big buddy in the 6 man uninsulated tent. If in doubt bring both and refill your one pound bottles if you are using them, you will save $$.

AlbertanGP
12-12-2021, 09:33 AM

This is good info from someone who actually pushes the limits of these units, and more or less spot on with my own observations. Winter camping at 3am is when you really find out what a heater can do. ;)

I agree the Big Buddy is the way to go if you can only have one, unless you're sure you're only ever going to need it for a small flip shelter or something similar. As Talking Moose said, it's nice to have the reserve when you need it...I've made the mistake of taking the Portable Buddy on day trips and wishing I had brought the Big Buddy. It does come at a price though. Although they are similar in size, the Big Buddy is double the weight of the Portable Buddy with both one pounders attached. If you are using a separate bottle, the Big Buddy has a quick connect on the left bottle area which makes life easier when setting up camp. And if you have an older model or happen along some old stock somewhere, the Big Buddy comes with a built in fan that runs on D batteries.

AlbertanGP
12-12-2021, 09:41 AM
All I'm gonna say for now is the Portable can be hacked to heat better than a Big Buddy.

The hack that allows the Portable Buddy to heat heat better that a Big Buddy (until the Big Buddy applies the same hack ;)) is a stove fan (https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=stove+fan&ref=nb_sb_noss_1) with a thermo-electric generator. These accomplish what the fan on the Big Buddy does in silence with no batteries to die at the most inopportune time. mlee you guys should definitely look into one of these..they are the best for heating large hubs evenly. :happy0034:

If you want to learn more about them, watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxV5KG3l51U) video or this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbeL-adIqA) one. I run the dual fan version shown in both these videos. Cheers.

AlbertanGP
12-12-2021, 10:28 AM

Avoid the Flex as it's overpriced caca that takes up way too much space.

Reasons the Buddy Flex is a steaming pile of doo doo IMO (in no particular order):

It's more expensive than the Big Buddy and rarely goes on sale unlike the Big Buddy and Portable Buddy (which you should never have to pay retail for).
The price of the cooking attachment alone is the same as the Portable Buddy (when the Portable Buddy isn't on sale).
You can use this (https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112130/lakco-heat-stream-cooking-grate) or this (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VGEOJ5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to do your cooking, and use the money saved to buy a Portable Buddy to go with the Big Buddy you should have went with instead of the Flex in the first place. I have/use both of these items. The Lakco cooking grate works surprising well, and the Coleman butane stove is easily the Flex cooker's equal.
With the Flex system, you can only use the attachment or the heater at any given time. When when you're cooking, the heater won't work...
Unlike the piezo ignition on the other Buddy heaters, the Buddy Flex has electronic ignition running off AA batteries. Guess when those batteries are going to die on you?
It heats in a 180* radius. So you know how you're supposed to keep everything 24" away from the front of the Portable or Big Buddy? That's 24" in front ***and on both sides*** of the Buddy Flex. It takes up a HUGE amount of space to run it safely. You can't tuck it in a corner or mount it in the tub of your flip shelter.
It weighs more than half again as much as a Portable Buddy alone and more than the Big Buddy with the Flex Cooker, and it's tall and awkward IMO with the cooker attached to it.
It heats for $&*^ and goes through one pounders like nobody's business. It only heats through a very narrow range of 8,000 to 11,000 BTU. Compare this with 4,000/9,000 BTU for a Portable Buddy and 4,000/9,000/18,000 BTU for a Big Buddy. So basically, it's a Portable Buddy on high all the time or a Big Buddy on medium all the time. Ever run your Portable or Big Buddy on low (4,000 BTU)? You can't do it with a Flex...start opening windows. Also, ever notice how fast normal Buddys go through one pound bottles on high? Bring lots of bottles if you have a Flex...

Hot

Steaming

Caca

mlee
12-12-2021, 01:40 PM
The hack that allows the Portable Buddy to heat heat better that a Big Buddy (until the Big Buddy applies the same hack ;)) is a stove fan (https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=stove+fan&ref=nb_sb_noss_1) with a thermo-electric generator. These accomplish what the fan on the Big Buddy does in silence with no batteries to die at the most inopportune time. mlee you guys should definitely look into one of these..they are the best for heating large hubs evenly. :happy0034:

If you want to learn more about them, watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxV5KG3l51U) video or this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbeL-adIqA) one. I run the dual fan version shown in both these videos. Cheers.

I purchased one of those already (a big 4 blade) plus I have an electric with led lights I hang from the roof to push the heat back down.

nimrod
12-12-2021, 02:04 PM
I have one of these for my big buddy heater, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B082HFY53D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great to just plug it into the plug in on the big buddy, no more bottles, for when I need my big buddy heater

crazynewf
12-12-2021, 06:21 PM
Ran the small buddy heater in my tent. On cold days, the condensation was insane.

AlbertanGP
12-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Ran the small buddy heater in my tent. On cold days, the condensation was insane.

You need an insulated tent on really cold days if you don't want to get rained on. ;)

crazynewf
12-12-2021, 06:48 PM
You need an insulated tent on really cold days if you don't want to get rained on. ;)

Yeah, learned that the hard way. A squeegee helps. All fun though.

Brad29
12-17-2021, 10:57 AM
I run the regular Buddy heater in an insulated tent. Gonna go with a 20lb tank, the 1lb bottles just don't cut it.

AlbertanGP
12-17-2021, 11:25 AM
Make sure you bring a couple of full one pounders with you all the time. Oftentimes when it's really cold, you need to light the pilot with a one pounder before the big tank will work. Not something you want to learn about your first trip out in weather like this. ;)

HuyFishin
12-17-2021, 11:31 AM
Make sure you bring a couple of full one pounders with you all the time. Oftentimes when it's really cold, you need to light the pilot with a one pounder before the big tank will work. Not something you want to learn about your first trip out in weather like this. ;)

Wow I just learned something new! i'm definitely gonna try this.

58thecat
12-17-2021, 12:53 PM

That’s why we spark up the other one too.

Can’t stop the heavy breathing when reeling in a nice laker though!

EZM
12-17-2021, 09:37 PM
BIG BUDDY for these same reasons ...

I run a big buddy, and you can ALWAYS turn this heater down, or even run it at just one burner on low ...... but you can NEVER turn a small heater up once she's cranked.

I also use a inline filter and 10lb bottle with a 8'or 10' long hose. Run the bottle outside and under the tent skirt and have not had any issues lighting it up. I do use a BBQ lighter though to warm up the thermocouple. You can get a few days out of that tank for sure, maybe more.

The big buddy also has a fan ..... just remember to pop the batteries out and take them inside between trips. This is an amazing feature to keep it evenly heated, and seems to be less condensation. I bought the rechargeable batteries so I can use them over and over again. They come inside the house along with my hanging light/fan, flasher and camera batteries after each trip and go on the charger ready for the next trip.

AlbertanGP
12-17-2021, 09:55 PM
Run the bottle outside and under the tent skirt and have not had any issues lighting it up. I do use a BBQ lighter though to warm up the thermocouple.

You're not having issues because you're heating the thermocouple with the BBQ lighter. Try lighting the heater without it when it's really cold and see what happens. Just make sure that BBQ lighter is near by. ;)

The big buddy also has a fan .....

Not the new ones (https://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-portable-heater-massachusetts-and-canada-version-nf.html). ;)

EZM
12-17-2021, 10:22 PM
You're not having issues because you're heating the thermocouple with the BBQ lighter. Try lighting the heater without it when it's really cold and see what happens. Just make sure that BBQ lighter is near by. ;)

Not the new ones (https://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-portable-heater-massachusetts-and-canada-version-nf.html). ;)

You are correct - no issues lighting her up. Why mess around if holding a flame for 5-10 seconds on the thermocouple with a lighter or BBQ lighter makes it fire up right away. You can run the gas and pump the igniter 50 times, but I'm far to practical and lazy to do that .... lol.

If the new big buddies don't have a fan that's too bad. I find it a great feature.

It also warms up food ..... and melts jackets and sets my arse on fire .... lol

AlbertanGP
12-18-2021, 04:28 AM
You are correct - no issues lighting her up. Why mess around if holding a flame for 5-10 seconds on the thermocouple with a lighter or BBQ lighter makes it fire up right away. You can run the gas and pump the igniter 50 times, but I'm far to practical and lazy to do that .... lol.

If the new big buddies don't have a fan that's too bad. I find it a great feature.

It also warms up food ..... and melts jackets and sets my arse on fire .... lol

I agree with every point you make 100%. :)

StringTheory
12-20-2021, 10:37 PM
Great thread everyone! Lots to think about for sure. I have a big buddy with the fan that I use on overnighters but I still take the portable buddy for every trip otherwise. Its the right size for my 64 sqft, insulated tent. I also dont run it so hot that I'm stripping down to my ginch! Around 15c is where I like to keep it so I dont end up standing in a big puddle at the end of the day.

I did pick up a Basecamp ceiling fan this season that I'm excited to use this year. Lots of good info here.

Allseasons
12-22-2021, 07:36 AM
Coffee and soup is on demand and hot this year!

EZM
12-23-2021, 06:09 PM
Great thread everyone! Lots to think about for sure. I have a big buddy with the fan that I use on overnighters but I still take the portable buddy for every trip otherwise. Its the right size for my 64 sqft, insulated tent. I also dont run it so hot that I'm stripping down to my ginch! Around 15c is where I like to keep it so I dont end up standing in a big puddle at the end of the day.

I did pick up a Basecamp ceiling fan this season that I'm excited to use this year. Lots of good info here.

What are you saying? Is it weird for a few fat guys sitting in a small tent together in their ginch?

I was wondering why people were looking at us funny when we emerged from the tent scratching our bellies like it was August on the beach. Ginch and boots. That's it.