PDA

View Full Version : Planning A Camping Trip To The Crowsnest And Need Some Advice

John_K
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, the wife is leaving for a trip to ireland on the 12th (for 2 weeks) and i was thinking its a perfect time to get massive amounts of fishing done :cool: (she is not a huge fan of fishing :-( i have always heard how good the fishing is in the crowsnest and i want to see for myself but i dont know where to go. i think ill be going for a week or maybe more depending how the fishing goes haha. i want to do mostly fly fishing and some cast fishing. what are some good spots to hit up while im there? lakes, rivers, stream, camping spots? what are some good flys to take with me? any tips, info, advice is very appreciated. thanks a ton

John

lolanr
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM
John I have never camped in the pass but I do lots of camping and fishing on the Lynx and Carbondale which is very close. It is a nice area and the fishing is usually pretty good. Lots of 8-14" cuts and the odd one bigger. You can try the pools for some bulls. I always found fishing the crowsnest with all those people alittle intimidating and I like the fact that lots of the time back there you can fish all day and hardly see a person.

Pheasinator
09-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I would not bother going until after the long weekend.

chili
09-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Get a map of the area around the crowsnest pass and south towards the castle ski hill. Ill show you some good spots. Are you in a trailer, got a boat, float tube?

tbosch
09-04-2009, 10:11 AM
If you go north from coleman up the FTR there are endless spots to get away from the crowds. The livingstone river is my personal fave for hungry cutties and big rockies. Especially this time of year hoppers and BWO's should have you busy. The oldman and crowsnest are good too. The further up the trunk you get the better the camping spots get too. Lots of goat trails to the east that lead right to the river.. PLease take pics so I can live vicariously through you. No crowsnest for me this year. :cry:

John_K
09-04-2009, 03:52 PM
lolanr- thanks i will write that down and chesk it ou forsure

chilli- i will be taking a tent with me and a canoe. i dont have a float tube but this may be my excuse to buy one haha. i have chest waders as well. as far as a map im gonna buy a backroads mapbook of the crowsnest and kinda half-assed plan my trip by the advice and suggestions i get for the forum peeps.

tbosch- thanks a ton. i dont really wanna see too many people so thats awesome. i will forsure be taking a pile of pictures and ill make sure to post the eye candy from the trip haha

BBC0
09-05-2009, 12:01 AM
I fished the Oldman and Livingston rivers in late July and the fishing was superb. Those two rivers are about an hour north of Coleman on the FTR and close to the road.

chili
09-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey John, sent message.

bubba 96
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
A nice tenting spot is allison lake, its stocked with rainbows, if ya wanna fish when you get back for the evening, its at the base of the crownest mnt and a great lake to hike around, drive through colman and at the lumber mill turn right , there is also another campground called chinook, but drive further down the rd, to allison lk you wont be dissapointed , was acutally thinking of hitting the crownest on sun as well..Bubba

John_K
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
thank you guys for all your help. this is making me more and more excited for the trip. i should be leaving next wed/thurs and ill be staying for at least a week if not longer. i hope to check out each spot you guys tell me about depending on how sidetracked i get with fishing and picture taking hahaha. looks like i will be doing this trip alone :o i cant find anyone to make the trip with me. just a man and his trusty dog alone in the bush... almost poetic..... almost......