PDA

View Full Version : Graham Creek Reservoir

Chris84
09-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Has anybody fished Graham Creek Reservoir this year?? Went there last night and was told the fish were killed off this year, (I kinda think thats BS).

DarkAisling
09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
While I don't know for sure, I call "BS" on that one. Even if the fish in the res were killed off at some point this year, water still flows into it, and there are fish in that water. While there may not be many in it, there should still be some.

Who was it that told you this, and where were you fishing? Some previous threads indicate that the landowner has become unpleasant. If it was the landowner, perhaps he just told you that to get you out of the area. One thread indicated that he's taken to calling the police on trespassers, but that only works if you're actually on his property, and not below the high water mark.

MathewsArcher
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
If this is the Graham Reservoir East of Balzac, it may have been drained and recontoured to increase volume. It was going to be used to provide water for the Cross Iron Mills Mall but had to be enlarged. I am fairly certain this took place but am not 100% positive it was completed.

Chris84
09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I couldn't see any physical signs of any recontouring happening, but I have heard the landowner has been unpleasant about people fishing there. I was told by the landowner himself when I asked for permission to get to the reservoir.

Jorg
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
If I remember right my castable sonar unit measured depths of around 30 feet near the canal entrance so I doubt the fish were winter killed---If anybody gives you grief about tresspassing just access the reservoir along the canal.

DarkAisling
09-05-2009, 07:39 AM
I couldn't see any physical signs of any recontouring happening, but I have heard the landowner has been unpleasant about people fishing there. I was told by the landowner himself when I asked for permission to get to the reservoir.

Did he give you permission, or did he just tell you that there weren't any fish in it? If he simply told you that there aren't any fish, and didn't give you permission, I'm thinking that was his way of saying "No."

If the lake was recontoured, then there may not be many fish in there right now. It is part of the canal system though, and there are fish in the canals, so it can't be completely devoid of fish: unless something was installed on the canals to prevent the fish from entering it.

I did do a little digging on the forum, and I found a post that indicated the reservoir had been drained completely early this year.

EDIT: Here's the post from March of this year: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28711. Nerdapres' was out there, and it was dry.

Chris84
09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. Seeing as somebody said it was dry in march, I'm thinking even if any fish have migrated back into the reservoir from the canals, they will be few and far between. I think I'll settle with Bruce Lake.

nicemustang
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I missed this thread before....so I'l put input now (whether you people like it or not).

IMO, not worth your time. The fishing isn't good there, it get VERY weedy early spring, and it's on private land, it's basically a slough. I was there a few years back in winter and when we drilled a hole you could have lit a match and it would have burned (methane). VERY stinky. I've heard that the land owner is a *****ely pear, so we've stayed away. Bruce is WAAAAY better. But again, very weedy. It's really good in spring and if you have a float or small boat, the middle lake is good but tough to get to. If you need more info, let me know. I live only a few miles away.

Chris84
09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have been fishing at Bruce before. I went to the middle lake. I guess I wasn't paying attention and missed the no trespassing sign, saw some people camping right at the middle lake so I went in there, and wow did I get blasted!!! I apologized to the land owner but he was the biggest jerk I have met. I honestly didn't know and should have paid more attention.....but wow I have never been yelled like that in my life.

Fishing was ok though. To access the middle lake you have to launch at the North lake? Can you just park in the ditch?

nicemustang
09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah...park in the ditch and float from north lake to middle lake. Lots of tresspassers wo that's why he's probably a little ticked. Public lake, private land. Stupid IMO. Good in the winter, you can driver from north lake to south i hear easily, although never been yet myself.