PDA

View Full Version : Port hardy 3rd week August

guru fisher
12-13-2021, 06:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a charter outfit in Port Hardy. Would like to fish around the 20th of August. What is usually running then for Salmon? Do some bottom fishing of course too. Thanks

North40Rules
12-13-2021, 06:48 AM
I do my ocean fishing off the coast of Prince Rupert, and I am not sure if the run timings are the same. I typically go the last week of June 1st week of July and always do well.

If you are talking to a guide, ask him if he can put you on Big Ling Cod, they are delicious. If he says no, better to find a guide that can because you definitely want to get your limit on them as well.

Also if your guide puts out crab traps, ask him if he will give you some every day you fish, mine does and they are better eating right out of the ocean then Lobster and King Crab IMO.

Have fun!

Cheers N40

guru fisher
12-13-2021, 06:52 AM
Ya Thanks will be going for Lings too. Yes I agree they even every bit as good as a Hali. I will make it out that way one day to fish !!!!!

North40Rules
12-13-2021, 07:04 AM
I actually prefer Ling Cod over Halibut, especially big halibut, in comparison Ling Cod is super moist and deep-fried, coated in Fish Crisp Beer Batter, is my favorite style and fish.

Ling Cod comes in second place to fresh out of the ocean Dungeness Crab, the meat is so sweet! My guide gives me 10 of them every day we go out at no additional charge, he picks them out of his traps on the way back to shore :)

My guide is excellent, the last time I went out with him we caught 26 salmon and 35 halibut in one day! He charges $1,400.00 a day for 2 people.

So when you are qualifying guides make sure the guide does not overcharge and ask him for references that you can talk to. Not all guides are good and their rates are all over the map!

Hope that helps - N40

HL_transplant
12-13-2021, 09:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a charter outfit in Port Hardy. Would like to fish around the 20th of August. What is usually running then for Salmon? Do some bottom fishing of course too. Thanks

Well past prime time for Chinooks should still be a few around though. Usually some big Chinook around still at that time but I wouldn't expect big numbers.

SNAPFisher
12-13-2021, 09:23 AM

You don't have to go far to find a charter :)

Dave from Serengeti
His yearly post speaks for itself
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404195&highlight=hardy

In case Serengeti is already booked up, which is highly possible, you can try:
Wade from Bear Cove Cottages

For later in August like you are thinking it is good to get a charter. My experience is that chinook are harder to find that time of year but the good charters , like above, know where to get them. Coho will be starting to pick up a big. Bottom fishing is consistent. You will not happy!

guru fisher
12-13-2021, 09:35 AM
Yes I am very aware of Serenghti but have not heard back from them yet? Hopefully if the springs are slower then the koho's would be in thick which is fine with my two boys coming out. Thanks Snap I think between the 2 companies I will be more then taken care of !!!!!

Positrac
12-13-2021, 11:06 AM
I actually prefer Ling Cod over Halibut, especially big halibut, in comparison Ling Cod is super moist and deep-fried, coated in Fish Crisp Beer Batter, is my favorite style and fish.

Ling Cod comes in second place to fresh out of the ocean Dungeness Crab, the meat is so sweet! My guide gives me 10 of them every day we go out at no additional charge, he picks them out of his traps on the way back to shore :)

My guide is excellent, the last time I went out with him we caught 26 salmon and 35 halibut in one day! He charges $1,400.00 a day for 2 people.

So when you are qualifying guides make sure the guide does not overcharge and ask him for references that you can talk to. Not all guides are good and their rates are all over the map!

Hope that helps - N40

I grew up on the coast and fished all year up until 10 years ago when we moved to Fort McMurray. I just make it back for a couple trips a summer now. I’d agree that Lings are every bit as good as Halibut. My favourite thing out of the sea would have to be big jumbo prawns caught in the early season up the inlets like Bute or Knights, followed closely by Dungeness crabs.

Serengeti Charters
12-14-2021, 01:21 AM
Yes I am very aware of Serenghti but have not heard back from them yet? Hopefully if the springs are slower then the koho's would be in thick which is fine with my two boys coming out. Thanks Snap I think between the 2 companies I will be more then taken care of !!!!!

Hey there,

Haven't got a PM or email from you, throw a PM and we can chat and if we can't hook you up we will point you in the right direction to find someone that will give you a great trip (Snap is correct in saying Wade is one of those). Chinook can be extremely good then, or it can be semi slow, last season it was good, and in 2020 it was slow, 2019 was insane good as well as 2018, so it isn't as consistent as earlier but can be very good at same time. Coho will be decent as well, best Coho (yo-yo fishing we say as they are nutty) is maybe a week later or so. Anyway, can answer anything for ya and make sure you get on a good trip even if it isn't with us depending on dates :)

Look forward to talking soon!

David

guru fisher
12-14-2021, 11:03 AM
Thanks David will be in touch !!!!!:sHa_shakeshout: