PDA

View Full Version : How to fish Walleye on Lesser Slave River??

Boooradley
09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
My friend and I are leaving Calgary at 1pm today to drive to Slave Lake. We will be fishing below the weir and while I have heard there is great walleye fishing in the river...I have only caught one in five trips up there.

My question is, How do you fish Walleye in the river. I usually try right below the weir. Is it best to go downstream where the current is not as strong. What is best to use during the day? At night? We have always used a chartreuse jig tipped with a minnow.

Thanks so much for the help!

Cal
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
I like to fish it from a canoe, I usualy drift bottom bouncers downriver and then troll crankbaits back upriver. Lately I have been doing pretty good with jigs and verticaly jigging buzzbombs in some of the deeper holes. If I am fishing from shore there is a campground a couple kms down the Old Smith Hwy that has a bunch of good spots you can fish from shore. Pm me and I can give you my number, I may or may not be able to show you a few other good spots to try. My wife is going to NAIT right now and only comes home on the weekends so theres a good chance I might not be doing much fishing this weekend lol.