PDA

View Full Version : Remote door locks

cranky
12-18-2021, 09:36 AM
My Toyota remote door lock buttons on my key are toast. And the batt is not dead its the buttons one now missing inside it somewhere. Key still works in ignition. Toyota wants $300 for new key and programing new one.
I dont really like buttons in the key anyhow so wondering is there anyplace to go in Edmonton who sell a keychain type fob with buttons and that can/will program it to work for the car.
I'm not familiar with that type of thing its only vehicle we have remote anything in.

Mavrick
12-18-2021, 09:43 AM
Check with AutoTemp. When they install a remote start the new FOB can open and close the doors, but I don’t think they can just program an aftermarket FOB. But give them a call, never know.

bat119
12-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Amazon has remotes don't know about programing

example

https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-Toyota-1999-2008-Corolla-Pontiac/dp/B08P712NQ5/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1GMQ47G9LCC1C&keywords=Toyota+remote&qid=1639846764&sprefix=toyota+remote%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-10

beerhunter
12-18-2021, 10:01 AM
I have seen guys on Facebook Marketplace selling for all types of vehicles. $50-$100.

I have also seen Canadian Tire advertise they sell replacement key fobs for all makes of vehicles.

Dean2
12-18-2021, 10:05 AM
I just went through this about 2 weeks ago when I wanted a 3rd FOB for my new truck.

Call Curtis at All-Lock-Rescue. They are on 170 st and 117 ave, East side of 170th. 780-447-5625. They sell replacement FOBs and do the programming. Quite a bit cheaper than the dealer if they have a FOB in stock or can order one.

If you go on Amazon or Ebay to get another FOB DO NOT buy a Chinese knock off, only about 10% of them will actually program. A used OEM is a far better idea. All Lock will program FOBs you bring in.

Final suggestion phone all the Toyota dealers in town and a couple of Lexus ones for price quotes. When I bought a third FOB for my new RAM there was over $150 difference for a Programmed Fob from the highest to lowest price at the Dodge Dealers. I ened up with a FOB from the dealer as they are the only ones carrying the FOB that works with this 2021 RAM. Cost was $260 programmed, highest Dealer quote was 420 for the same thing.

pittman
12-18-2021, 10:11 AM
Best to stick with an OEM solution. I've had nothing but trouble with aftermarket electronic add-ons like remote entry/remote start.

ak77
12-18-2021, 03:22 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/toyota-remote-start-digital-pay-subscription/

How do you like that?

ak77
12-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Best to stick with an OEM solution. I've had nothing but trouble with aftermarket electronic add-ons like remote entry/remote start.

It's nothing but trouble if done by unqualified workers on Friday night after 24 pack of beer. Thousands of vehicles have them installed over last 5-10-15 years with no issues.

cranky
12-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Thanks all. I'll be checking out All Lock and Rescue Monday. Looks like they have what I'm looking for on there website. There not open Sats or Sundays.
I dont want buttons on a key just a separate fob will work best for me. It's my gas saver runaround car I picked up on the cheap a while back. I'm hooked on these remote locks now I've had it awhile.

Dean2
12-18-2021, 03:32 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/toyota-remote-start-digital-pay-subscription/

How do you like that?

I heard that and they can kiss my butt!!!. I would either not use remote start, which I never had anyhow up until last year, or I would not buy a Toyota.

pittman
12-18-2021, 03:59 PM
It's nothing but trouble if done by unqualified workers on Friday night after 24 pack of beer. Thousands of vehicles have them installed over last 5-10-15 years with no issues.

In the past for me anyhow they've always lead to electrical gremlins and I've had to take them out.

Vehicles are pretty heavy on the electronics these days and hot-wiring add-on electronics that integrate seamlessly with the stock function of the car sounds like a tall order.

Maybe I'm just a skeptic.

ak77
12-18-2021, 05:55 PM
In the past for me anyhow they've always lead to electrical gremlins and I've had to take them out.

Vehicles are pretty heavy on the electronics these days and hot-wiring add-on electronics that integrate seamlessly with the stock function of the car sounds like a tall order.

Maybe I'm just a skeptic.

Surprisingly, newer, more complex vehicles that are heavy on the electronics are easier to work on. Because they are so complex reputable remote starter manufacturers produce piggy-back modules that replace that bazillion wire splices of the past. Just plug and play. Yes, got to cut a few wires, and the module needs to be programmed, but all that is done online. It's not idiot proof by any means, but...

But sceptics will remain sceptics until proven otherwise, sometimes more then once. And sometimes they just don't want to be proven otherwise. To each their own

ak77
12-18-2021, 06:01 PM
I heard that and they can kiss my butt!!!. I would either not use remote start, which I never had anyhow up until last year, or I would not buy a Toyota.

On the heels of that article i read another one, kinda tongue in the cheek... "What other vehicle features could be pay-to-use". There internet had it's day, but in the end some of the "predictions" were quite scary...
How about having to pay for 4 cylinders out of 8 when you need full power? Heated seats (i think BMW already talked about it)? Would you pay for ad-free driving experience?
Found the article... Read and weep.
https://jalopnik.com/here-are-your-most-evil-ideas-for-car-subscription-serv-1848228973/amp

RandyBoBandy
12-18-2021, 06:26 PM
I just went through this about 2 weeks ago when I wanted a 3rd FOB for my new truck.

Call Curtis at All-Lock-Rescue. They are on 170 st and 117 ave, East side of 170th. 780-447-5625. They sell replacement FOBs and do the programming. Quite a bit cheaper than the dealer if they have a FOB in stock or can order one.

If you go on Amazon or Ebay to get another FOB DO NOT buy a Chinese knock off, only about 10% of them will actually program. A used OEM is a far better idea. All Lock will program FOBs you bring in.

Final suggestion phone all the Toyota dealers in town and a couple of Lexus ones for price quotes. When I bought a third FOB for my new RAM there was over $150 difference for a Programmed Fob from the highest to lowest price at the Dodge Dealers. I ened up with a FOB from the dealer as they are the only ones carrying the FOB that works with this 2021 RAM. Cost was $260 programmed, highest Dealer quote was 420 for the same thing.

X2...Curtis is GOOD !! Thanks for sharing :)

cranky
12-18-2021, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=pittman;4457360]In the past for me anyhow they've always lead to electrical gremlins and I've had to take them out.

Maybe I'm just a

My experience is the same. I've had nothing but grief with every remote start I've ever had. So I don't get them installed and dont bother anymore when they quit,thats it.

nimrod
12-18-2021, 07:39 PM
Amazon has remotes don't know about programing

example

https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-Toyota-1999-2008-Corolla-Pontiac/dp/B08P712NQ5/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1GMQ47G9LCC1C&keywords=Toyota+remote&qid=1639846764&sprefix=toyota+remote%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-10

Just buy the case above, then take it apart, put your inside electronics in the new case. no extra costs to program