PDA

View Full Version : BMW replacement key fob

Positrac
12-18-2021, 10:45 AM
We have a 2012 BMW X1 and when we got it there was only the one key fob. There is no actual key with these vehicles, the fob sticks in the dash then push start/stop. I was just wondering is anyone had gone through the same thing and whether there was any option over buying at a BMW stealership.

Dean2
12-18-2021, 11:00 AM
This is what I posted on the other thread re FOBs. Same applied when I got a new FOB for the Lexus. Never needed on for a BMW.

I just went through this about 2 weeks ago when I wanted a 3rd FOB for my new truck.

Call Curtis at All-Lock-Rescue. They are on 170 st and 117 ave, East side of 170th. 780-447-5625. They sell replacement FOBs and do the programming. Quite a bit cheaper than the dealer if they have a FOB in stock or can order one.

If you go on Amazon or Ebay to get another FOB DO NOT buy a Chinese knock off, only about 10% of them will actually program. A used OEM is a far better idea. All Lock will program FOBs you bring in.

Final suggestion phone all the Toyota dealers in town and a couple of Lexus ones for price quotes. When I bought a third FOB for my new RAM there was over $150 difference for a Programmed Fob from the highest to lowest price at the Dodge Dealers. I ened up with a FOB from the dealer as they are the only ones carrying the FOB that works with this 2021 RAM. Cost was $260 programmed, highest Dealer quote was 420 for the same thing.

rjlester
12-18-2021, 11:36 AM
I second what Dean2 said about All-Lock-Rescue, they are excellent and pricing is very good. I've been nearly ripped off by their competitor a few blocks west of them, thankfully I went to All-Lock and will only go there from now on. They are the best at antique car locks and keys as well as newer cars.

rena0040
12-18-2021, 11:37 AM
these guys will sell you a unprogrammed fob, push and hold in the slot for 20 seconds and it's programmed. won't have an actual backup physical key though like what's in the fob.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category-bmw-key-fob

I've bought other stuff from them, not fobs, but they were quick and product worked as they said.

Positrac
12-18-2021, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys. That gives me a couple different leads.