PDA

View Full Version : Old age and new allergies

bessiedog
12-19-2021, 10:23 AM
So… it was supposed to be a pine year for us Xmas tree wise……

But we couldn’t pass up the wonderful spruce we happened upon.

….. and this year I e discovered that my ‘little bit itchy’ reaction to spruce that I’ve always had….. has now turned into a swelling itcharamma!!

Never had this before….. what a pain!

Anyone else discover new allergies as they age…?

Twisted Canuck
12-19-2021, 10:27 AM
Yes. Where I used to be just mildly allergic to scented candles (mild headache) now I get hives and monster headache, fast. I can't hardly walk in the mall, the candle stores and the discount counterfeit cologne and perfume place just kill me.

See, that was a real answer. Instead of just saying you are a weakling that doesn't know what to do with wood.....:)

Hug.

jungleboy
12-19-2021, 10:42 AM

….. and this year I e discovered that my ‘little bit itchy’ reaction to spruce that I’ve always had….. has now turned into a swelling itcharamma!!

4 out of 5 doctors recommend you wear clothes when setting up the Christmas tree. And also, stop hugging the Christmas tree.:scared0018:

Twisted Canuck
12-19-2021, 10:46 AM
*Boom!!* Mic drop....:lol: :lol:

270person
12-19-2021, 10:56 AM

Crown Royal is known to exacerbate allergic reactions. Especially those from coniferous tree sap. Falling into a spruce, intoxicated will only make things worse. As difficult as it may be for you maybe just sub a nice glass of buttermilk for your multiple 4 finger rotgut shooters while you put up your tree this year. Saves the kids a lot of dad embarrassment and the cat will appreciate you leaving the tree wrecking to him.

bessiedog
12-19-2021, 11:05 AM
You buncha

Smartarse

Snogavabeeeyatches!!

Au revoir, Gopher
12-19-2021, 11:20 AM
Tough crowd! As my mother used to say, "If you are looking for sympathy, you will find it in the dictionary between **** and syphilis."

ARG

P.S. You will have to figure out the naughty word on your own.

amosfella
12-19-2021, 11:30 AM
Reactions to food can build up toxicity slowly over time. This seems especially true with vegetables. I found that a diet of straight meat and animal fat/cheese/butter/honey got rid of all my allergies, some very severe, in about 4-6 days. I could still eat heavily spiced foods, but few other plant based foods. YMMV

Grizzly Adams1
12-19-2021, 11:56 AM
With advanced age, my allergy to stupid people has increased dramatically. :lol:

Grizz

urban rednek
12-19-2021, 11:57 AM
Sprucyphilis? Could be worse.

bagwan
12-19-2021, 02:05 PM
Yikes. And here I thought you were somewhat normal and it turns out you're one of those tree hugger guys.

pgavey
12-19-2021, 05:38 PM
Well Bessie that went well eh? Tough crowd.

StiksnStrings
12-20-2021, 12:14 PM
This thread just made my day!:happy0034:

bessiedog
12-20-2021, 12:44 PM
Yup

Bitchin bout stuff here is the same as doin it around the campfire….

Lol

I shoulda known ;)

tirebob
12-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Yup

Bitchin bout stuff here is the same as doin it around the campfire….

Lol

I shoulda known ;)Campfire bitchin' is solid good times!

Twisted Canuck
12-20-2021, 02:47 PM
Hey, if you wanna tell us about where you are itchy, while we sit around the campfire and have a drink, you go right ahead Bessie.

We all know that having an itch can be real troublesome. :) isn't that right Bob?

Off in the Bushes
12-20-2021, 04:30 PM
Less joking and more seriousness I believe that you grow into and out of allergies every 7 years. As that what it take for the body to completely exchange all the blood. As in those with the reaction to allergies like he described not allergies that you generate an anaphylaxis response to.

elkhunter11
12-20-2021, 04:46 PM
Less Crown Royal, and you won't want to wrestle the tree..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

On the serious side, I developed allergies in my 40s and 50s, I used to wear SCBA at work long ago, then I started getting a raised welt where the mask contacted my face. And now I don't wear latex gloves,I have to wear gloves from other materials to avoid a rash.

fordtruckin
12-20-2021, 06:09 PM

I never had any allergies until around 30. Then various pollens started to get to me. This last summer was by far the worst and made life absolutely miserable! Told the wife this year I’m going to try some type of allergy shot. Nothing over the counter would work!

thumper
12-20-2021, 06:35 PM
I call them 'allergies', - my wife calls them 'intolerances' ....

RandyBoBandy
12-20-2021, 08:17 PM

Here's a PERFECT tree for you Bessiedog :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:
https://i.imgur.com/xWzZPcp.jpg

Mavrick
12-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Not an allergy, but a few year ago I started to have bad mood swings. Impatient, short and angry with people and everything. I though it was just me becoming a grumpy old man. Went for a physical and my Hemochromatosis had elevated, they drained some blood over the next few weeks and my whole mind set changed. I had no idea that to much iron in your blood could affect your mind set like that. It never seem to be a problem up to a few years ago. I keep an eye on it now, and I am a happy old fart again, while as much as an old guy can be I suppose.

Sundancefisher
12-21-2021, 07:31 AM
If you don’t follow science … it didn’t happen.

Today’s study.

Gather a pine bough, a spruce bough, a juniper bough and a larch bough.

Rub each all over a different appendage. Wait for a reaction and report.

Do not drink as you may mix up the study and invalidate.

Do not whip yourself with these boughs as that is study number two.

Do not smoke nor ingest any during the course of study.

Do not sleep in the same bed nor carry them around dressed up. Do not decorate nor name said test subjects.

If at any time you find yourself talking to the boughs, you have been drinking and need to start all over.

catnthehat
12-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Oh Lord how did I pass on this thread at first! :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Okotok
12-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Ha! Love the peanut gallery here. Back on topic, ahem. A couple of years ago, my wife all of a sudden developed a sensitivity to shellfish. Tested for allergies but was negative. Allergy or not, she can't eat shellfish or it means puking her guts out. Unfortunately I now have to eat all the extra crab legs, oysters etc.

leo
12-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Less Crown Royal, and you won't want to wrestle the tree..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

On the serious side, I developed allergies in my 40s and 50s, I used to wear SCBA at work long ago, then I started getting a raised welt where the mask contacted my face. And now I don't wear latex gloves,I have to wear gloves from other materials to avoid a rash.

And such ended Elk's carrer as a Proctologist....

bessiedog
12-21-2021, 09:13 AM
If you don’t follow science … it didn’t happen.

Today’s study.

Gather a pine bough, a spruce bough, a juniper bough and a larch bough.

Rub each all over a different appendage. Wait for a reaction and report.

Do not drink as you may mix up the study and invalidate.

Do not whip yourself with these boughs as that is study number two.

Do not smoke nor ingest any during the course of study.

Do not sleep in the same bed nor carry them around dressed up. Do not decorate nor name said test subjects.

If at any time you find yourself talking to the boughs, you have been drinking and need to start all over.

You said nothing bout whether I was supposed to wear clothes or not.

Dammit

Wife’s not speaking to me…. Just sakes her head and leaves the room,

Science is hard.

sns2
12-21-2021, 09:22 AM
and such ended elk's carrer as a proctologist....

No way is his career as proctologist over. He loves it too much to let a little rash get in the way. He considers his work sacred, and approaches every examination with religious fervor.

Sundancefisher
12-21-2021, 09:47 AM
You said nothing bout whether I was supposed to wear clothes or not.

Dammit

Wife’s not speaking to me…. Just sakes her head and leaves the room,

Science is hard.

Studies work best if they predict the most likely background conditions.

This way also we can eliminate a Tide allergy.

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 10:14 AM
And such ended Elk's carrer as a Proctologist....

That was already doomed, you forget a couple of thermometers , and there go your patients.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 10:16 AM
No way is his career as proctologist over. He loves it too much to let a little rash get in the way. He considers his work sacred, and approaches every examination with religious fervor.

My telling you where to put certain
things, has nothing to do with proctology.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Bigwoodsman
12-21-2021, 10:26 AM
Not an allergy, but a few year ago I started to have bad mood swings. Impatient, short and angry with people and everything. I though it was just me becoming a grumpy old man. Went for a physical and my Hemochromatosis had elevated, they drained some blood over the next few weeks and my whole mind set changed. I had no idea that to much iron in your blood could affect your mind set like that. It never seem to be a problem up to a few years ago. I keep an eye on it now, and I am a happy old fart again, while as much as an old guy can be I suppose.

Maybe a few of us here on AO should get this test done! Might explain a few things. Maybe one day it will be all unicorns and rainbows.

Just sayin...

BW

Stinky Buffalo
12-21-2021, 10:59 AM
Crown Royal is known to exacerbate allergic reactions...

You forgot the part about where Bessie needs to send you any remaining Crown Royal that he may have in his household.

For his own safety, of course.

We're all in this together. :D

StiksnStrings
12-21-2021, 05:13 PM
Sorry for the pain inflicted by both said spruce tree and fellow AOr's here but, OMG I'm loving this thread!

PS: I'm old and have no allergies.

270person
12-21-2021, 06:41 PM
You forgot the part about where Bessie needs to send you any remaining Crown Royal that he may have in his household.

For his own safety, of course.

We're all in this together. :D

We could probably put a dent in world poverty just donating the deposit from the empties. I wouldn't drink that stuff but a guy can't have too much firestarter and ant killer.

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 06:45 PM
We could probably put a dent in world poverty just donating the deposit from the empties. I wouldn't drink that stuff but a guy can't have too much firestarter and ant killer.

Nothing wrong with Crown Royal, but if it was Scotch, I would use it for cleaning paint brushes. :sHa_sarcasticlol: