PDA

View Full Version : phone scammers

Au revoir, Gopher
12-19-2021, 11:07 AM
Glitter bombs; not just for porch pirates anymore :)

https://youtu.be/VrKW58MS12g

ARG

nimrod
12-19-2021, 11:42 AM
Well thats great, now if only they come to Canada to get those scammers, that operate in Canada, a Friend was scammed

urban rednek
12-19-2021, 11:45 AM
He needs to use less glitter and more Semtex.

Grizzly Adams1
12-19-2021, 11:53 AM
The bad news is, it doesn't usually work this way. The scammers get you to pay with gift cards, you give them the number over the phone and they drain them. They could be anywhere.

Grizz

stuckincity
12-19-2021, 01:11 PM
They could be anywhere. Grizz

THAT'S for sure! Especially at the cra, the rcmp, and the Calgary Police Service.

I almost can't count the number of times I was gonna get arrested if I didn't tell them my VISA number and the 3-digit code on the back of the card to pay the arrears.
They sure hire a lotta people from SE Asia to make the calls.

They said the police would be at my place in a matter of minutes if I didn't pay.

No sign of them yet. :confused0024:

Drewski Canuck
12-19-2021, 03:11 PM
I actually told the scammer that I wanted to be sent to Jail. I explained to him that I could get clean laundry without having to do it myself, I didn't have to cook or clean up my dishes, I would get to avoid all the people always calling me to collect unpaid bills, I would get to learn poker from experts, I would get my teeth fixed for free and free new eye glasses and free prescriptions, ....

I don't know why they don't call anymore,

Drewski

Iron Brew
12-21-2021, 10:54 AM
A few people I know have started an unofficial competition. How long can you keep the scammer on the line? A buddy holds the record with 45minutes before he finally hung up. The scammer called him back swearing.

For me, I still (occasionally) get calls, but I make sure to stay and talk to them. They've gotten to the point that when a "live" being picks up on their end they hang up on me. After a bit of this, the calls stopped...

I'm sure I can start again next time the list is sold... LOL:fishing:

jcrayford
12-21-2021, 11:21 AM
A few people I know have started an unofficial competition. How long can you keep the scammer on the line? A buddy holds the record with 45minutes before he finally hung up. The scammer called him back swearing.

For me, I still (occasionally) get calls, but I make sure to stay and talk to them. They've gotten to the point that when a "live" being picks up on their end they hang up on me. After a bit of this, the calls stopped...

^ But how do you converse for 45 minutes without saying a phrase like "Yes" in the conversation? Knowing my luck, they would record the conversation and edit out parts to appear that I'd agreed to some magical service that would cost me $1000s of dollars.....

J.

pikergolf
12-21-2021, 12:19 PM

My best time is 22min.

Ken07AOVette
12-21-2021, 07:41 PM
I said to them in a real worried voice;

How did you find me??

Witness protection said nobody would ever find me!

Have you talked to the State Department?

They told me I would never have to kill again!!!

And then the phone generally clicks dead

waldedw
12-21-2021, 07:49 PM
My time limit usually runs about 30 - 45 seconds, just long enough to call them dirty rotten no good for nothing bleep, bleep, bleeps and then my parting words relate to sex and travel when linked together and spoken rapidly.

Drewski Canuck
12-21-2021, 10:29 PM
Got a new one today. Apparently the Social Insurance Number Administration suspended my Social Insurance Number!!!

I tried to explain that both my first name and my last name was Ronnie because my mother loved my father's last name so much she wanted to call me Ronnie Ronnie.

Damn guy hung up!

I wanted to explain that I had a cousin with the exact first and last name so did they want the Ronnie Ronnie with my middle name?? (Ronnie by the way), or my Cousin Ronnie Ronnie Ronnie. We both were born on the same day, by the way.

If you guys could send these fools my way I would really appreciate it!!!!

Drewski

270person
12-21-2021, 11:22 PM
I hand the phone to my 2 yr old grandson and tell him its Santa calling.

4extreme
12-21-2021, 11:53 PM
I do the same, try and keep them on for as long as possible. They use to **** me off but now I look forward to their call. The longest for me is about 5 minutes then they hang up.

elkhunter11
12-22-2021, 07:34 AM
Several few years ago, I was getting the recording pretending to be with Revenue Canada, with the East Indian accent on a regular basis, then it just went away. I don't even get the political parties calling around elections anymore. At work,we actually used to have contests to see who could keep these clowns on the line the longest, and I had a person from the NDP on the line asking question after question for 20 minutes. All was fine until he asked if they could count on my vote , and I told him that I would never vote for them, then he swore and cursed at me, and they never called again.

Ken07AOVette
12-22-2021, 08:48 AM
Call control ends 100% of the bs.

Ask your provider. It's free.

JD848
12-22-2021, 09:09 AM
I keep getting all these calls also .Found an old tape player with a a recording By Conway Twitty singing Hello Darling .AS soon as I realize it's a scammer call I just press play and leave the phone on it..

Good for a laugh .

JD

jungleboy
12-22-2021, 09:21 AM
I have been toying with the idea of using one of those little air horns to blast them when they come on the line but not sure it might damage my phone

flydude
12-22-2021, 09:23 AM
Call control ends 100% of the bs.

Ask your provider. It's free.

I'm getting scam callers now pressing the required number to get through my call control. These idiots I've had to enter manually into my call control blocked list via the Telus home services website. Call control is only good for robocalls and those numbers on your blocked list. I'm sure they will come up with a way to bypass call control sooner than later.

bat119
12-22-2021, 09:48 AM
I've had call control for 6 months only one scammer has got through and he wouldn't sell me a warranty for my 78 Chevette.

I almost miss those calls now

Quest206
12-22-2021, 12:22 PM
I received a message threatening legal action if I didn't pay right away and to return the call. I called and said I had cash in my hand and that I needed an address to deliver it to and they hung up on me. How rude. I was looking forward to delivering that cash.

Ken07AOVette
12-22-2021, 03:49 PM
I'm getting scam callers now pressing the required number to get through my call control. These idiots I've had to enter manually into my call control blocked list via the Telus home services website. Call control is only good for robocalls and those numbers on your blocked list. I'm sure they will come up with a way to bypass call control sooner than later.

ohhhh.... that sucks. I knew it would happen, I would bet their profits were destroyed when it came into play.

urban rednek
01-26-2022, 05:15 PM
73yo grandmother in New York out cons the scammers! The link includes a 2 minute news segment with footage of the arrest from her security camera.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/i-played-the-game-n-y-grandmother-leads-police-to-attempted-scammer-1.5755189

'I played the game': N.Y. grandmother leads police to attempted scammer
Published Wednesday, January 26, 2022 10:41AM EST
Tom Walters, CTV National News Los Angeles Bureau Chief
Michael Lee, CTVNews.ca Writer

A grandmother out of New York state is being credited for using her instincts to beat an alleged scammer at his own game.

Jean Ebbert, a 73-year-old resident of the Long Island community of Seaford, N.Y., received a phone call recently from a person claiming to be her grandson.

The crying man said he had been drinking, got into an accident and needed thousands of dollars in order to get out of jail.

"I knew he was a real scammer," said Ebbert, who doesn't have a grandson old enough to drive. "I just knew he wasn't going to scam me."

A news release from the Nassau County Police Department in Long Island says the incident occurred on Jan. 20.

Police say along with the initial call, an unnamed female victim, since identified as Ebbert, received a second call from an unknown male claiming to be her grandson's lawyer and needing US$8,000 to post bail.

She also received a third call from an unknown male claiming to be the bail bondsman, local police say.

Ebbert decided to play along and agreed to meet the supposed bail bondsman at her house, to whom she would give $8,000 cash.

But the former 911 operator wouldn't be alone when that happened.

"So I played the game. And then I said to him, 'Listen, don't call your mother, she's gonna be mad. Let me handle this,'" Ebbert said.

When the man arrived and picked up his supposedly cash-filled envelope, which ended up being full of paper towels, two police officers were there to greet him.

Security camera footage from Ebbert's home shows the two officers rushing out her front door and pinning the suspect to the ground.

Joshua Estrella Gomez, 28, has since been charged with attempted grand larceny.

Seniors are too often the subject of scams, with a recent U.S. senate committee report noting that in 2020, grandparent scams were the fifth most reported type.

But in her attempt to avoid becoming a victim herself, Ebbert says she "played the game really well right from the beginning."