PDA

View Full Version : Expired PAL ?

newdrenalin
12-20-2021, 05:33 AM
Wondering if there are anyone out knows if you have to do the course over if your PAL has expired ? It has been expired for a couple years ( took the last couple years off from hunting) Thanks for any help

waldedw
12-20-2021, 06:07 AM
Not sure about having to redo the course, apply on line for a renewal and they will tell you if it's required or not.

You said that you took a couple years off hunting which really has nothing to do with your PAL, a PAL is required for possession of a firearm whether your hunting or not, unless of course when you took a couple years off you got rid of all your firearms, just trying to follow your thought process for allowing it to expire is all.

Anyway let us know the outcome

elkhunter11
12-20-2021, 06:13 AM
You do not have to retake the course if you previously held a PAL. As has been posted, wondering if you got rid of your firearms, before the PAL expired, as you can't possess any firearms without a PAL.

newdrenalin
12-20-2021, 06:19 AM
Not sure about having to redo the course, apply on line for a renewal and they will tell you if it's required or not.

You said that you took a couple years off hunting which really has nothing to do with your PAL, a PAL is required for possession of a firearm whether your hunting or not, unless of course when you took a couple years off you got rid of all your firearms, just trying to follow your thought process for allowing it to expire is all.

Anyway let us know the outcome

My thought process ? When i said I had taken a couple years off hunting I meant that I had no need to look at my PAL and when I did I realized it wasn't valid anymore. I guess I had illegal guns in my house then.

elkhunter11
12-20-2021, 06:25 AM
My thought process ? When i said I had taken a couple years off hunting I meant that I had no need to look at my PAL and when I did I realized it wasn't valid anymore. I guess I had illegal guns in my house then.

Whether you hunt or not, you need to keep your PAL from expiring. If you had a fire or a theft and tried to claim insurance, or if you filed a police report on missing or destroyed firearms, it could get complicated.

waldedw
12-20-2021, 07:32 AM

You not only " had " illegal guns in your house for 2 years you still " have " illegal guns in your house, which as Elk says could get very complicated in the event of a fire or burglary, just a bit of friendly advise that is not something that I would be posting on a public forum.

newdrenalin
12-20-2021, 07:39 AM
You not only " had " illegal guns in your house for 2 years you still " have " illegal guns in your house, which as Elk says could get very complicated in the event of a fire or burglary, just a bit of friendly advise that is not something that I would be posting on a public forum.I never said I " have " illegal guns in the house. I said I " had" illegal guns in the house. I wouldn't be posting that I'm doing something illegal on here. I'm just trying to determine if I needed to do the course or not

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

bat119
12-20-2021, 07:53 AM
The course does not expire, you will need to apply for a PAL expired can't be renewed

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/firearms-forms#f1

58thecat
12-20-2021, 08:04 AM
I never said I " have " illegal guns in the house. I said I " had" illegal guns in the house. I wouldn't be posting that I'm doing something illegal on here. I'm just trying to determine if I needed to do the course or not

just reapply and carry on...mine never expired caught it prior too and it took 2 weeks to get back after submitting on line.

elkhunter11
12-20-2021, 08:38 AM
just reapply and carry on...mine never expired caught it prior too and it took 2 weeks to get back after submitting on line.

Except he can't renew, he must apply as if he has never held a PAL,and the mandatory waiting period applies, and he will be waiting for several months. New applications seem to be taking at least four months now, and in some cases close to a year, with the covid situation.

huntinstuff
12-20-2021, 10:19 AM
Except he can't renew, he must apply as if he has never held a PAL,and the mandatory waiting period applies, and he will be waiting for several months. New applications seem to be taking at least four months now, and in some cases close to a year, with the covid situation.

True

You can only renew if your license is valid

If its expired, you go thru the long application process

landowner
12-20-2021, 07:29 PM
Not exactly, you have a six month grace period after it expires.

58thecat
12-21-2021, 12:34 AM

Exactly....and I did mine during the so called vid years and two weeks later there it was.
But again this varies so best of luck to the OP.

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 06:29 AM

And the OP let his PAL expire a couple of years ago.

ChrisGrohms
12-21-2021, 07:18 AM
I am in the same boat. I found out my pal expired when I went to buy more ammunition. It took me another year now to finally look into it. I called the rcmp line for pal renewals and the kind lady walked me through the website to the correct form to fill out. You do NOT need to retake the course. Fill out the correct form and mail it in with your mug shot and a few months later you should get it back.
As for those that have their knickers in a knot over potential illegal firearms in the possession of a now unqualified person…I have not much to say. I would expect to find those kinds of responses and opinions on FB or a CNN opinions column but definitely not from outdoorsmen from Alberta.

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 07:27 AM
I am in the same boat. I found out my pal expired when I went to buy more ammunition. It took me another year now to finally look into it. I called the rcmp line for pal renewals and the kind lady walked me through the website to the correct form to fill out. You do NOT need to retake the course. Fill out the correct form and mail it in with your mug shot and a few months later you should get it back.
As for those that have their knickers in a knot over potential illegal firearms in the possession of a now unqualified person…I have not much to say. I would expect to find those kinds of responses and opinions on FB or a CNN opinions column but definitely not from outdoorsmen from Alberta.

Nobody posted anything about unqualified people , just that people are illegally in possession of firearms if they let their PAL expire, and are still in possession of their firearms. As for qualified, a PAL only makes it legal to possess firearms, it doesn't make you more competent with those firearms. If you can't be bothered to keep your PAL from expiring, there is no point in being resentful, when someone points out the fact that you may be illegally in possession of firearms.

tool
12-21-2021, 08:12 AM
Or we could all be a little bit more supportive and helpful to fellow outdoorsman who are trying to do right and get compliant with the rules?
Let’s get them the correct information rather than passing judgements.
Merry Christmas.

brendan's dad
12-21-2021, 08:25 AM
Wondering if there are anyone out knows if you have to do the course over if your PAL has expired ? It has been expired for a couple years ( took the last couple years off from hunting) Thanks for any help

The Canadian Firearms Safety Courses(CFSC) (non-restricted and restricted) do not expire. If you previously held a PAL or RPAL, then a copy of your CFSC record will be held on your file in NB indefinitely.

Due to the amount of time that has lapse since your last renewal, you will need to complete the "long" application titled " Application for a Possession and Acquisition Licence Under the Firearms Act (for Individuals Aged 18 and Over)"

Here is a link to the forms https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/firearms-forms

Section A of the application will ask you if you previously held a license. When you check that you have an expired license, they will then know to look for your CFSC record on your file.

You can also now submit your photo digitally. Last time, my wife took my photo with a passport app I downloaded on my Iphone. A lot easier then going to a store to get a passport photo done.

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 08:34 AM
Or we could all be a little bit more supportive and helpful to fellow outdoorsman who are trying to do right and get compliant with the rules?
Merry Christmas.

Informing them that they may now be illegally in possession of firearms, and pointing out how it could cause them issues is being helpful, because some PAL holders don't think of how letting their PAL expire, could effect them . And the correct information was passed on. As to really wanting to be compliant, people that really want to be compliant don't just ignore the fact that their PAL is expired for a year or several years. Most people that know that their PAL is expired are perfectly content to be non compliant until it effects their ability to buy firearms or ammunition, or until they want to take their firearm where they may be asked to produce a PAL.

Ackleyman
12-21-2021, 09:12 AM
Just apply for re-newal. They have no means to know if you do or do not have any non restricted firearms.......that's your business. You know the answer ... you do not have any firearms at this point. Whatever it takes get er done.
If...it was an RPAL expired and you had restricted weapons that's a different story and would not be a good thing. You would of been flagged long ago and it wouldn't be pretty.
To me it's like your drivers license..even if you do not have a vehicle . keep valid status. Avoid getting in a potential jackpot in the first place.
Good luck

tirebob
12-21-2021, 09:14 AM
The Canadian Firearms Safety Courses(CFSC) (non-restricted and restricted) do not expire. If you previously held a PAL or RPAL, then a copy of your CFSC record will be held on your file in NB indefinitely.

Due to the amount of time that has lapse since your last renewal, you will need to complete the "long" application titled " Application for a Possession and Acquisition Licence Under the Firearms Act (for Individuals Aged 18 and Over)"

Here is a link to the forms https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/firearms-forms

Section A of the application will ask you if you previously held a license. When you check that you have an expired license, they will then know to look for your CFSC record on your file.

You can also now submit your photo digitally. Last time, my wife took my photo with a passport app I downloaded on my Iphone. A lot easier then going to a store to get a passport photo done.

The last license I held was an FAC and I never did hold a PAL. I am hoping I can just reapply and not need the course again but I am unsure. I see on the form there is a section for you to enter an expired FAC so I may have hope but still I will have to call and find out I think.

brendan's dad
12-21-2021, 09:27 AM
The last license I held was an FAC and I never did hold a PAL. I am hoping I can just reapply and not need the course again but I am unsure. I see on the form there is a section for you to enter an expired FAC so I may have hope but still I will have to call and find out I think.

If the last license you held is the FAC, then you will need to take the CFSC prior to applying for a PAL.

Back in the 90's, those with a FAC that did not want to take the new CFSC course were able to obtain a POL (Possession Only License). POL's were abolished in 2015 and any holders of a POL at that time were automatically upgrade to PAL without taking the course.

bat119
12-21-2021, 09:32 AM
On the subject of sending in your range membership
I phoned yesterday, the CFO in your area will send a request with the email or address to send it, if you send it in randomly chances are it will be discarded.
I always sent a copy in with the paper application I was only asked once for a copy about three licences ago.
I'm not worried about my license expiring before it's approved, I jumped through the hoops they told me to, if I get a request to send it I will.

bat119
12-21-2021, 09:36 AM
If the last license you held is the FAC, then you will need to take the CFSC prior to applying for a PAL.

Back in the 90's, those with a FAC that did not want to take the new CFSC course were able to obtain a POL (Possession Only License). POL's were abolished in 2015 and any holders of a POL at that time were automatically upgrade to PAL without taking the course.

In Saskatchewan you had to take a 5 question test only a complete moron would fail to qualify, I have never taken the full course.

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 10:02 AM
In Saskatchewan you had to take a 5 question test only a complete moron would fail to qualify, I have never taken the full course.

The PAL was never about having people safe and competent with firearms, it was just another license , to give the impression that the government was doing something to make fireams owners safer and more responsible. If it was really about safety, the POLs would not have been upgraded to PALs without taking a course and all Canadians would have had to take a course to obtain a PAL.
Most people took the firearms course, because it was legally required to acquire and possess firearms, and to purchase ammunition.Very few took it with the intention of actually learning anything from the course, and it's obvious from how little they know about firearms ,and our firearms laws.

newdrenalin
12-21-2021, 03:19 PM

Merry Christmas.You couldn't have said it better Sometimes a guy doesn't want to ask a question on here for that reason Thank you

MooseRiverTrapper
12-21-2021, 03:23 PM
You do not have to retake the course if you previously held a PAL. As has been posted, wondering if you got rid of your firearms, before the PAL expired, as you can't possess any firearms without a PAL.

That’s weak elk. Reply like that belongs on some anti gun liberal forum.

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 03:50 PM
That’s weak elk. Reply like that belongs on some anti gun liberal forum.

Not weak at all, some people are so uniformed about our firearms laws, that they don't know the difference between a PAL, and an FAC.

Phil McCracken
12-21-2021, 06:57 PM
Not weak at all, some people are so uniformed about our firearms laws, that they don't know the difference between a PAL, and an FAC.

Does it really matter?

Let's help/educate each other. Regardless of their age.

People come here just to have a conversation. And Yes...one can Google...bla bla bla...

Some people here, and I am not saying this is the case here, don't have access to our new internet technology...so how about we help them a little with constructive advice...

Just saying...:)

elkhunter11
12-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Does it really matter?

Let's help/educate each other. Regardless of their age.

People come here just to have a conversation. And Yes...one can Google...bla bla bla...

Some people here, and I am not saying this is the case here, don't have access to our new internet technology...so how about we help them a little with constructive advice...

Just saying...:)

The OP was provided with the information that he requested.

Phil McCracken
12-21-2021, 07:36 PM
The OP was provided with the information that he requested.

Duly noted...thanx...:)

newdrenalin
12-22-2021, 06:25 AM
The OP was provided with the information that he requested.Yes, I got some great responses from some people on here. You on the other hand just wanted to point out how little I knew about the firearms laws and dint help at all I talked to a lady today at the RCMP and she informed me that even though my PAL has long expired I just have renew ( no course etc )

elkhunter11
12-22-2021, 06:55 AM
Yes, I got some great responses from some people on here. You on the other hand just wanted to point out how little I knew about the firearms laws and dint help at all I talked to a lady today at the RCMP and she informed me that even though my PAL has long expired I just have renew ( no course etc )

So you don't remember reading this in post #3?

You do not have to retake the course if you previously held a PAL

I was actually the first person to answer your question by posting that you do not have to retake the course, which you have confirmed to be true.

And you need to use the same form that people that have never held a PAL before use, not the renewal form, so it is actually a new application, rather than a renewal.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/firearms-forms

58thecat
12-22-2021, 07:30 AM
So you don't remember reading this in post #3?

I was actually the first person to answer your question by posting that you do not have to retake the course, which you have confirmed to be true.

And you need to use the same form that people that have never held a PAL before use, not the renewal form, so it is actually a new application, rather than a renewal.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/firearms-forms

Ya but elk you then went into a lecture about legal storage etc
Not what the OP asked for and that’s how the poop show starts as always.

elkhunter11
12-22-2021, 07:37 AM
Ya but elk you then went into a lecture about legal storage etc
Not what the OP asked for and that’s how the poop show starts as always.

A lecture? I posted ONE sentence after that, asking if he got rid of his firearms before his PAL expired, as the previous poster had already mentioned. That is a pretty short lecture.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

And I never mentioned legal storage,neither of those wordseven appear in that post, I only mentioned possession.

Redhorse Ranch
12-22-2021, 07:47 AM
A lecture? I posted ONE sentence after that, asking if he got rid of his firearms before his PAL expired, as the previous poster had already mentioned. That is a pretty short lecture.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

And I never mentioned legal storage,neither of those wordseven appear in that post, I only mentioned possession.

The truth is like poetry.

And most people hate poetry.

elkhunter11
12-22-2021, 07:51 AM
The truth is like poetry.

And most people hate poetry.

And these days, more and more people are just looking for an excuse to be offended.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Redhorse Ranch
12-22-2021, 07:56 AM
And these days, more and more people are just looking for an excuse to be offended.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ain't it the truth.

newdrenalin
12-22-2021, 08:36 AM
And these days, more and more people are just looking for an excuse to be offended.:sHa_sarcasticlol:Not offended at all but thanks anyways At 41000 posts you are probably the type that just likes to hear himself talk

beerhunter
12-22-2021, 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=newdrenalin;4459194]Not offended at all but thanks anyways At 41000 posts you are probably the type that just likes to hear himself talk

ZING! Too funny.

jungleboy
12-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Despite a comprehensive derailment on this thread ,I think think the OPs question has been answered .

tirebob
12-22-2021, 04:53 PM

Hey I just thought I would let you know what I found out, or at least I am being told, from the person I spoke to from the RCMP at the number I called right from the form #5592.

They said if my safety course I took was from 1994 or newer and I held an FAC after that, even though I never did hold a PAL I can still apply for a PAL using my previous FAC. My course was from late 1995 and my FAC issues in 1996 so they said I am good to go to just send in the application.

Hopefully they are right and I don't get rejected but I was very thorough in my questions and gave them all the relevant info and that I never held a PAL and they took their time conferring with their counterparts before giving me that final answer so I think I am going to take a shot and just submit the application.

I fully realize though this is the government and someone who looks at my application may disagree with the person I talked to... lol!