PDA

View Full Version : Overnight fishing

KGB
12-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Hey guys, need your advise and opinion. I have never done the overnight fishing on the ice. We are thinking of renting one of those cabins on the ice, the cabin fits /sleeps 4-5 people. We need to bring our own sleeping bags, food, drinks etc.
How late is the fishing going to? I mean- by 8pm we will probably gonna be drunk already but I am still curious…
Also, what should we take as a must have?

AlbertanGP
12-20-2021, 02:11 PM
How late the fishing goes depends on the lake and what you are fishing for. The people renting the cabins should be able to tell you. Walleye and burbot can bite all night, although it slows down about an hour after dark usually.

In terms of what to bring, that would be a question for others who have done those types of rentals. Again, what is provided typically varies as I recall.

Curtsyneil
12-20-2021, 04:02 PM
I’ve rented cabins a few times. Always nice to have a generator, extension cord, 5 gallon pale, inside a fan for moving air, a serge protector powerbar for charging electronics, towel,flashlight, good pair of leather gloves to not burn hands on fire place, extra wood if extremely cold you will be burning lots usually supplied but always bring more. Most important thing a fillet knife and butter or oil. Lol. As for fishing all night always keep lines in even if your just dead sticking and not jiggin. Put bells on your rods so you wake up when fish are biting your minnow. Haha!!! Good luck and tight lines.

KGB
12-20-2021, 11:04 PM
Thank you guys! Good stuff!

UngulateMeatEater
12-21-2021, 03:21 PM
8 pm? Im usually drunk by 8 am lol!![emoji2957]Most my biggest walleye ive caught are from 7-8 pm on the ice. But this will depend on the lake you are fishing. I always bring a head lamp you will need both hands to handle fish,rod, line, tangles,bait, ect. We always bring a small microwave with a generator get to heat up coffee cook pizza pops ohh baby nothing better then a steaming hot pizza pop out on the ice. Also I always bring those square floor pads they work great out by the tip ups for kneeing down keeps you dry and its more comfortable then the ice. Ive never stayed in a cabin we tent it so im not sure what’s provide but you might need a small stove for cooking pot pan depending what you plan to cook. Bells are great even in the day i put them on tip ups sometimes you will hear it go off before you will see it. If the ice is not snow covered ice cleats help. All the stuff listed above is great to. Just pack up your house and move it on the lake for the winter then you wont have to worry about forgetting something lol. Good luck tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KGB
12-21-2021, 11:15 PM
Thanks man, I got a few good laughs reading your advise, lol! But a few very good points too. Thanks again!

UngulateMeatEater
01-04-2022, 11:19 AM
Thanks man, I got a few good laughs reading your advise, lol! But a few very good points too. Thanks again!

Took this one for you this weekend

UngulateMeatEater
01-04-2022, 11:20 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220104/2be6eb38c58a950c59798e0cf58fe8a6.jpg

AlbertanGP
01-04-2022, 11:59 AM
Pizza pockets...a staple of every ice camping foray. :)

guysmiley
01-04-2022, 12:15 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220104/2be6eb38c58a950c59798e0cf58fe8a6.jpg

I see you didn't forget the skates!

UngulateMeatEater
01-06-2022, 02:44 PM
I see you didn't forget the skates!

We were down south no snow on the lakes makes for good skating practise for the kids. And its faster getting to the tip ups to!!