PDA

View Full Version : employee who fell on the stairs.

sewerrat
12-21-2021, 02:46 PM
Wow,
An Air Canada who fell on her stairs in her home is eligible for workers compensation as she was working from home.

She was commuting from her off office to the kitchen.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/air-canada-employee-who-fell-on-stairs-while-headed-to-kitchen-from-her-home-office-eligible-for-compensation-judge

This world is getting so F'ed up.

Bigwoodsman
12-21-2021, 03:28 PM
Wow,
An Air Canada who fell on her stairs in her home is eligible for workers compensation as she was working from home.

She was commuting from her off office to the kitchen.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/air-canada-employee-who-fell-on-stairs-while-headed-to-kitchen-from-her-home-office-eligible-for-compensation-judge

Good Grief!!

BW

57charlie
12-21-2021, 03:32 PM
She'll probably ask WCB to force her employer install an elevator in the house now and as well as getting some other renovations done.

This is the new world we're going to be living in.

Mavrick
12-21-2021, 03:54 PM
They should go into the home a do a hazard assignment. She might end up with big fines for an unsafe work place! :snapoutofit:

Zip
12-21-2021, 04:44 PM
Okay…all I can say is somehow the comments here made me laugh out loud, the wife thinks I’ve lost it completely..Thank you for that, I’m happy she finally accepts that fact…lol!
Zip:)

StiksnStrings
12-21-2021, 05:05 PM

Getting??? I remember some time ago a woman suing McD's for their coffee being too hot when she spilt it on her lap.

hayseed
12-21-2021, 05:38 PM
Never read the link , but alcohol and pot sales skyrocketed when most had to work from home... just sayin.. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lol..

ctd
12-21-2021, 08:18 PM
I read that earlier, it makes a scary precedent setting even though it was a out east thing.This will be coming to a home near you.
I am surprised WCB did not do a home inspection and find fault with the stairs, her foot wear etc. Then fine Air Canada for not ensuring she was protected.

Map Maker
12-21-2021, 08:46 PM
It’s in quebec. They do things different in that country.

Savage Bacon
12-21-2021, 08:58 PM
They should go into the home a do a hazard assignment. She might end up with big fines for an unsafe work place! :snapoutofit:Ya exactly. Even drug test her. Working while intoxicated could get her fired. Might even void her pension if guilty?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

EZM
12-21-2021, 10:19 PM
Getting??? I remember some time ago a woman suing McD's for their coffee being too hot when she spilt it on her lap.

And ....... because of this lawsuit we now have labels on coffee warning us our hot coffee .......... is hot

Our knifes and scissors are .......... sharp

unblvbl

huntinstuff
12-22-2021, 12:00 AM
They should go into the home a do a hazard assignment. She might end up with big fines for an unsafe work place! :snapoutofit:

Exactly what should happen. An OHS inspection.....full meal deal. When they were done with her she wouldnt have a door on the hinges or a painting on the wall or a mat in the bathroom or ANYTHING in her furnace room cept a furnace....then move to the garage....

She would have to burn her house down and start over.......

Bushleague
12-22-2021, 12:16 AM
And ....... because of this lawsuit we now have labels on coffee warning us our hot coffee .......... is hot

Our knifes and scissors are .......... sharp

unblvbl

... and that a bag of peanuts... may contain nuts.

I remember the first time I saw that, blew my mind... now I dont even notice, by the time it was necessary had to make laws against surfing the internet while driving stupidity had lost its shock value.

Ackleyman
12-22-2021, 10:46 AM
A Liberal Judge at his best :rolleye2:

lmtada
12-22-2021, 11:05 AM
This will put and End to all work from home. Employers won’t cover insurance costs from work from home. Raises many issues. Business will react, come back to work or quit. Simply Replace person with someone or (something else). All it takes is one bad apple.

sewerrat
12-22-2021, 11:57 AM
Here is another one that happened in Germany.

Dude went from his bedroom to his computer room, broke his back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/10/work-home-injury-germany/

tacomama
12-22-2021, 02:58 PM
From the article this appears to have happened while the worker was taking a company imposed break during her shift.

So because a worker got injured while working at home means they shouldn't get coverage? What a crock of.....
I guess no one here has ever sustained an injury on the job.

Many members on this forum would be whining if it was one of them and wcb didn't cover them in the same exact scenario. Some people should really give their head a shake.

lmtada
12-22-2021, 03:22 PM
From the article this appears to have happened while the worker was taking a company imposed break during her shift.

So because a worker got injured while working at home means they shouldn't get coverage? What a crock of.....

Many members on this forum would be whining if it was one of them and wcb didn't cover them in the same exact scenario. Some people should really give their head a shake.

Perhaps the home owners need to update their homes to business code for home. Additional insurances will be requirement. This will likely spill over to contractors. This is going to open up a rats nest with litigation, insurance, building code. Specifically with 20-30% working population WFH.
Ramifications will be employers simply replace the wfh worker. Contract the jobs out.

tacomama
12-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Perhaps the home owners need to update their homes to business code for home. Additional insurances will be requirement. This will likely spill over to contractors. This is going to open up a rats nest with litigation, insurance, building code. Specifically with 20-30% working population WFH.
Ramifications will be employers simply replace the wfh worker. Contract the jobs out.

Yes, potentially. Time will tell.
Just to clarify, my comment above is assuming that it was simply an accident and not anything else going on that would be the fault of the worker or something not up to code, etc....

I actually think claims have gone down since more people are working from home, but the real issue though will be proving or disproving an injury happened at home while working, as opposed to a weekend injury or something of the sort...but I've seen those years ago too when someone tried to fake a work injury from something they did to themselves on the weekend.

ctd
12-22-2021, 10:24 PM

If you have a home based business/ work from home you need to have Insurance to cover any work place accidents such as a fire, theft injury etc to you, worker or client. If this person was properly insured for business use of her home then WCB would not be involved in this.

Had she of gone for a smoke break and slipped on her uncleared sidewalk would she be covered also?
How about if her house burns down from her personal computer used for work, does the employer have to cover the cost of this, does their home insurance cover this or do they have personal coverage?

In WCB covering this incident I wonder what she tripped on using the stairs, i also wonder if she was wearing proper foot wear, handrails at proper height and size. Did WCB investigate the work place loss time injury, did Air Canada investigate this?
I wonder how this will change working from him in the future for all businesses:thinking-006:?

Positrac
12-23-2021, 06:05 AM
I know dozens of people who have been forced to work from home during the pandemic. It’s either work from home or you no longer have a job. In many cases 100% of their house was already being used and some of these people are now being forced to work from a kitchen table while the rest of their family are going about their lives all around them. It’s a crappy situation that they never signed up for but are now forced into if they want to keep a paycheque coming in. In most cases the companies they work for provide little more than a laptop and docking station. In some situations the employees working from home are making tens of thousands of dollars a year less if they previously worked in a camp situation and fly in/out uplifts were part of their wage package when they signed on.

While working from home has improved the quality of life for some it has also lowered it for a great many others. Maybe it’s just me but I feel these companies that have forced their employees to work from home should be on the hook for certain things and I definitely don’t see any reason why a person should give up any rights to workers compensation benefits because they are now being forced to work from home in what may ultimately be sub-par conditions. I think it’s a totally different situation than someone running a home-based business.

gunluvr
12-23-2021, 08:23 AM
If wcb approved workplaces must meet safety standards in order to be wcb insurable, then employees who work from home should either accept the same standards or not expect to be insured.
In other words, wcb coverage should be expected if and only if the workplace meets wcb standards, which includes the mandate of "alcohol free".
However, this happened in Quebec, and the judge obviously didn't think his/her discision through.

elkhunter11
12-23-2021, 08:27 AM
If wcb approved workplaces must meet safety standards in order to be wcb insurable, then employees who work from home should either accept the same standards or not expect to be insured.
In other words, wcb coverage should be expected if and only if the workplace meets wcb standards, which includes the mandate of "alcohol free".
However, this happened in Quebec, and the judge obviously didn't think his/her discision through.

Does anyone in Quebec every think things through?

But I do agree with what you say, if you expect to be covered by compensation, you should have to maintain a working environment that would meet WCB standards.

flydude
12-23-2021, 08:41 AM
This is WCB Alberta's info on telecommuting:

https://www.wcb.ab.ca/assets/pdfs/employers/EFS_Telecommuting.pdf

I doubt the lady from Quebec would have been covered by WCB in Alberta.

dgl1948
12-24-2021, 06:51 AM
Has anyone ever had WCB come and inspect a workplace and set standards??

CaberTosser
12-24-2021, 07:27 AM
Will she be forced to install an accessible washroom in her workplace? Will the two nearest parking spots to the door be designated as handicapped-only? OH & S inspection of her coffee room?

waldedw
12-24-2021, 07:44 AM
I was a self employed consultant for 9 years before retiring in 2018, my wife was also a director of the company and we both had WCB coverage and our office and official mailing address was in our house.

Now we never had a claim so I can't say what would have or could have happened, but there was never a WCB inspection or mention of special parameters as to changes that needed to be made to our home / office in order to be WCB compliant.

bat119
12-24-2021, 07:57 AM
This story doesn't surprise me

In the 80's we were working at Syncrude after a night in town buddy was unloading cases of beer from a cab slipped on the ice blew out his knee. We carried him into camp to his room, next day he couldn't walk left camp in an ambulance.

He was completely truthful in his report telling exactly what had happened, he got WCB because it happened on company property, as a bonus back then WCB paid a percentage of actual wages since we were working 7/12's he received huge payouts for a couple years.

Fast forward 20 years injured guys I know had nothing but trouble getting anything.