View Full Version : Deer shedding antlers

antlercarver
12-21-2021, 06:43 PM
We have a buck eating from the bird feeder about 30 ft from the dining
room window. Both antlers are gone, just two raw spots where they
once were. kind of early.

Howard Hutchinson
12-21-2021, 06:52 PM
I'd say early for sure. Maybe he was an absolute gagger and the sheer weight of them played a part, interesting. Maybe even a he/she where nothing makes sense in their world:thinking-006:

57charlie
12-21-2021, 06:59 PM
I think "Positrac" found them and used them for his "Let’s see your Arts & Crafts Projects" post

Battle Rat
12-21-2021, 07:10 PM
Deer will shed antlers over a quite a long time span anywhere from early December to late April.
I believe that the majority will drop in late February/March though.
Back when we had deer season go into Dec a friend shot a buck on the 17th that droppe an antler as it hit the ground and the other one with a light tug.

creeky
12-21-2021, 07:39 PM
We have a buck eating from the bird feeder about 30 ft from the dining
room window. Both antlers are gone, just two raw spots where they
once were. kind of early.

Varies.

Creeky....

Talking moose
12-21-2021, 08:14 PM
Yes it varies. Some say stress such as particularly deep snow or excessive cold can cause them to drop earlier than usual.

livinthedream
12-22-2021, 07:50 AM
Well get on out there and find them! Then show us the pics. please!:)

El Carnicero
12-22-2021, 08:59 AM
Had a guy bring a white tail buck to me for cutting this week that had dropped its antlers already as well.
Threw me for a loop. Did seem a bit early but who am I to question mother nature.

fishnguy
12-22-2021, 09:58 AM
Interesting. Because I also saw a “neighbourhood” mule deer in the first days of December (I feel like the 3rd, but not sure) walking around with one antler and he had both the day before. I either didn’t see him since or he dropped the other one as well and I thought it was a doe from a distance.

Big Grey Wolf
12-22-2021, 11:45 AM
Old trapper in BC said the moose drop their antlers based on weather. If extreme cold moose will loose antlers before Christmas. Suspect same thing with deer.

EagleEyes
12-22-2021, 08:09 PM
I usually pick a 100 plus sheds are year. Always a couple bucks drop around Christmas. Most drop later on though. This time of year is stressful on the bucks and best to leave them alone.

Red Bullets
12-23-2021, 12:25 AM
On a long shot someone else could have a feed pile with fencing or wires set up sort of over the feed so a buck is more prone to knock off their antlers there. That could cause them to drop early too.

It seems the bigger bucks drop their antlers earlier. I think this is because the big boys deplete themselves more during rut and long term need more energy to recover, let alone the cold weather factor. Antlers burn energy so get rid of them early.

HunterDave
12-23-2021, 02:00 AM
Stress on the animal is what I’ve been told and believe. The more stressed they are, the sooner they shed.

Anyone remember awhile back when we had a great Spring/summer followed by an El Nino winter and the deer had their antlers all winter into a Spring?

trigger7mm
12-23-2021, 07:46 AM
A friend of mine told me his theory is that they drop earlier when it has been a very dry year. He said the last time we had a year like this, the deer dropped early?

KBF
12-23-2021, 07:33 PM
Had an interesting one yesteday. Hunting elk with bro inlaw and come across a fresh one. Still bloody. After few hundred yards setup to watch some clearings. I nestled into slash pile to get out of the wind, and who appears, ole one antler at about 4 steps. Pretty neat to see. Other antler seemed to be holding pretty tight yet.