PDA

View Full Version : Diesel heater for a boat

cgrif
12-22-2021, 02:45 AM
Hey folks,
I’m refitting a 21ft aluminum Crestliner phantom sst. A Complete retro mod, including awning with rear curtains. As I go winter fishing in usually kootney or Lake Pend Oreille I’m kicking around the idea of a heater. I’ve been using a propane sunflower, and it definitely takes the chill off, but condensation is an issue. I have done my research, and the diesel heater is the way to go, but I’m looking for folks that have one installed in their boat and what their learnings have been. The closed in area will be 8ft x 9ft x 6ft high. I see them offered in 2,4,8 kwt. I’m looking to knock’ the chill off, and want keep it small and low on power usage. Both my 200 hp and 9.9 hp kicker have alternators, but I still don’t want a power guzzler (the kicker is used 95% of the time). I have a hydraulic auto pilot and it uses some power too, so keeping the power usage down is in my best interest. Is the 2kwt enough? Can’t seem to get a clear answer when emailing the vendors.
Anyways, please chime in and let me know what you have and what your experiences have been.

Thanks in advance, Cory

mlee
12-22-2021, 06:56 AM
I've never put one in a boat....but I have installed and serviced dozens of air heaters in big trucks and equipment. The webssto air tops are by far the most trouble free and the easiest to fix and get parts for localy. Typically I'll put the airtop 2000 in the bunk of a truck or the cab of a piece of equipment and they are plenty big enough to heat a space that size at -30. That said those are pretty well sealed up and not quite as big an area as you have. I've installed a few of the 4kw webasto air tops as well and they pump heat like crazy.

cgrif
12-22-2021, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the reference to the 4kw. I do not know anyone that have installed one, so all I have is YouTube to look at. Really I don’t think it matters if it’s a boat, truck heavy, equipment. I gave the size and type of area I’d like to warm up, so keep the info coming, im all ears.

stob
12-22-2021, 09:24 AM
Check out what works best in sailboats. I believe Eberspacher forced air, Webasto, Wallis are the best of the lot...stay away from the russian products

stob
12-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Check out what works best in sailboats. I believe Eberspacher forced air, Webasto, Wallis are the best of the lot...stay away from the russian products

Forgot Espar

LCS10
12-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Here is my 25 years of experience. Currently running an Espar Airtronic D2 in a 20ft boat. Every year we camp on the water with overnight temperatures as cold as minus 10. Inside area is 15’L x 8’W x 6-1/2'H
- These heaters are like diesel engines they like to work not idle. If the heater is oversized, it will carbon up. The D2 is plenty big enough for your boat.
- Use two batteries and an isolator switch. Switch to one battery if doing an overnight. I can typically get 25 to 30 hours of hard operation from one battery before recharging it. If you are only running the heater with the main engine or kicker running and charging, then power draw is a non issue.
- Use kerosene if you can. Burns cleaner so ways less maintenance issues than diesel. I use a 10-litre kerosene tank that the heater draws from. I would never use a gasoline unit…. just my opinion.
- Most of the noise comes from the air intake. A silencer can reduce it. But only an issue when trying to enjoy the quiet of the night.
- Keep the discharge heat ducting as short as possible, but also keep the air intake ducting as far away from the heat output as possible. Prevent short circuiting, just like a house furnace.
- Install a CO detector in the boat, (you should have already if you were running propane heater).
- Take your time with the install. Be very meticulous with the exhaust piping. Lots of boat burn to the water line because it wasn’t done right.

mlee
12-22-2021, 12:58 PM
We went away from Espar in our fleet and switched them all to webasto (both air and coolant heaters).....way way way less maintenance and much cheaper and easier to repair and service when needed. This is a fleet of about 40 trucks and going back 10+ years.
Not one manufacturer will suggest straight Kerosene for several reasons... a 50/50 mix is fine (I've done the webasto dealer/service training). Kerosene over time will wreck the heaters because it burns hotter....too hot in most cases.
I'm not going to say don't install a CO detector....but it's a non issue. Even the dirtiest of dirty diesel burners produce very little CO and a clean burning unit is less than 2%.

cgrif
12-23-2021, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the feed back. What about size though. You guys think a 2kw is enough? I don't need it hot but enough to stop the condensation. What size was installed the trucks you mentioned?

Jims83cj5
12-23-2021, 06:45 AM
A 4 is too much, after you hit your desired temp it will be almost on low to maintain. That’s fine but you will need to run it on high for 20 min every eight hours to cook it off or it will carbon off if you use diesel. Kerosine and your fine. Myself, I would get the 2 and run it higher and use the cheaper more available diesel

mlee
12-23-2021, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the feed back. What about size though. You guys think a 2kw is enough? I don't need it hot but enough to stop the condensation. What size was installed the trucks you mentioned?

A 2kw should be plenty just to take the chill off and keep things dry. A 2kw will heat the entire cab/bunk of a semi without the truck running to +15C in -30 weather.

cgrif
12-23-2021, 09:32 AM
Ok. Thanks again for the input. I’ll do a little more research but your comment definitely helps to point in the right direction. I am going to save up a little longer and get a quality heater. I see the Chinese ones on amazon and then reference an above comment about “burning boats to the water line”. I can’t help but think that Chinese heaters and boat fire go hand in hand!

calgarychef
12-24-2021, 05:59 AM
Ok. Thanks again for the input. I’ll do a little more research but your comment definitely helps to point in the right direction. I am going to save up a little longer and get a quality heater. I see the Chinese ones on amazon and then reference an above comment about “burning boats to the water line”. I can’t help but think that Chinese heaters and boat fire go hand in hand!

I can’t see how they would burn up unless there was a fuel line leak. I’ve got one In a trailer but haven’t used it, installing it and learning about them helped to understand a lot. It’s completely sealed combustion, and I “think” that if they would overheat they would crap out fast enough to be self limiting. I am convinced that the expensive models are better than the Chinese ones but by how much is the question.

I’ve looked at a lot of marine grade heaters though and there are some excellent choices if you have lots of cash.