PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Toyota Camry keys question.

Fish along
12-22-2021, 01:56 PM
Since I've had this vehicle there has only been one key,,ignition and no door keys.Its been ok but here lately the smart ignition key won't open the door or trunk,so I decided to get the code and cut a door key..Well they cut the key and it wouldn't work so I'm not sure what to do now. Is there a battery in the smart key ?and can it be replaced? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Stinky Buffalo
12-22-2021, 02:10 PM
There should be a spot where you can wedge a coin on the edge of the fob body; twisting the coin in that slot will pop the case apart, and you can access the coin-cell battery from there.

Here's a link to a video (should be similar to yours): https://replacekeyfob.com/2007-toyota-camry#video

Whipper Billy
12-22-2021, 02:18 PM
I have a 2009 Toyota Camry with a single key.
I can use it to open the driver's door and trunk manually and using the key fob.
And it starts the car when placed in the ignition (no remote start).
My key has a battery in it that I've replaced once in 12 years.
Not difficult to change but if you take too long you can lose the programing.

Dean2
12-22-2021, 02:20 PM
Since I've had this vehicle there has only been one key,,ignition and no door keys.Its been ok but here lately the smart ignition key won't open the door or trunk,so I decided to get the code and cut a door key..Well they cut the key and it wouldn't work so I'm not sure what to do now. Is there a battery in the smart key ?and can it be replaced? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Does your key look like this.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.ikeyless.com/store/product/1000489/image/8521.JPG

If so, you have both a battery that does need to be changed but there is also a door key right in the FOB. Lowes will cut extra door keys that look like a regular key for 4 bucks each and they supply the blank. Handy as spares in case you loose fob or lock it in the car.

Or like this. They had a couple of different types depending on trim level.

https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-54572186103590/2007-toyota-camry-keyless-entry-remote-key-53.jpg

Fish along
12-22-2021, 04:03 PM
This is my key.https://i.postimg.cc/MTGYy65t/IMG-2315.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Dean2
12-22-2021, 04:14 PM
So yeah that has a battery. Replace it for sure if you have had the fob 10 years with the same battery. The key should open the door locks if the battery doesn't work. Lowes or all lock rescue can cut you extra no button keys. All lock on 170st and 117 ave has extra remote keys they will sell you and program for u, though the older ones are pretty easy to program.

KegRiver
12-22-2021, 04:31 PM
We had three Toyota including a Camry which we still have.

All three had batteries in the FOB or Key that could be replaced.

Maybe you know this but some don't so I'll add it. The new key has to be a chipped key or have a chip key close to the ignition switch to work.
And if it's a chipped key, the car, not the key, has to be programed to accept it.

Something we found out this summer. If you have just one key, better get a second key cut now.
If you loose that one key you will have to have the vehicle towed to a shop to get a new key made. Reason being, they can't program the car to accept a new chip without the old chip, unless they reprogram the computer.

We were quoted $900.00 plus towing to get the job done on a $1,500.00 car.

We did find another shop that said they could make one using the serial number but we had to be there in person for them to do it legally.

We haven't tried that route yet.

Fish along
12-22-2021, 05:59 PM
I wonder why the key that they made using the code didn't work? I called Toyota and they quoted $350.for a new key,that is the smart key. And it was said above that there might be problems if the battery wasn't changed quick enough and the car might have to be reprogrammed, is this a serious situation? Thanks guys. Also this key wont open the doors or trunk, ony remotely.

nimrod
12-22-2021, 06:10 PM
If you need to reprogram your key fob, we need to have our windshield in our CRV, windshield surgeon in Sherwood park will have a 3rd party company come there to reprogram our vehicle, you could call them and ask who they use as I don't have this information

Dean2
12-23-2021, 04:44 AM
I wonder why the key that they made using the code didn't work? I called Toyota and they quoted $350.for a new key,that is the smart key. And it was said above that there might be problems if the battery wasn't changed quick enough and the car might have to be reprogrammed, is this a serious situation? Thanks guys. Also this key wont open the doors or trunk, ony remotely.

Go to All Lock or some place similar in Camrose, they will program a couple of remotes and cut keys properly for your vehicle. Sounds to me like you got a seriously hodged setup when you bought the car. I NEVER buy a car unless they supply at least two working remotes with proper manual keys that work, or I knock at least 500 bucks off the purchase price. Owning a car with one remote can get VERY expensive if you lose it. Much easier to program new remotes and make keys for most cars when you have an existing remote to work with.

Fish along
12-23-2021, 08:44 AM
Go to All Lock or some place similar in Camrose, they will program a couple of remotes and cut keys properly for your vehicle. Sounds to me like you got a seriously hodged setup when you bought the car. I NEVER buy a car unless they supply at least two working remotes with proper manual keys that work, or I knock at least 500 bucks off the purchase price. Owning a car with one remote can get VERY expensive if you lose it. Much easier to program new remotes and make keys for most cars when you have an existing remote to work with.

Yes I agree a hard learned lesson, I got the car from Go Auto some years ago and purchased it without actually seeing it in person. But found out after the deal was all done there was only one key,it's been a constant reminder ever since, and now it's become an even bigger problem. Only good thing I suppose is that it does work remotely but it's on it's last legs,and not trustworthy, I hope these people can help me, thanks for your help.

Au revoir, Gopher
12-23-2021, 08:57 AM
Are you the original owner? If your key doesn't open the doors or trunk, it sounds like locks or keys were changed at some point.

When my daughter was having problems with the ignition switch in her Honda, I discovered that Honda would sell you a new ignition switch with new keys, but you had to keep the old keys unlock the door/trunk.

ARG

Fish along
12-23-2021, 09:47 AM
The toyota dealership is making a key that matches the vin,and another outfit says it can replace the battery in the smart key hopefully this will fix my problem, fingers and toes crossed.thanks again guys i appreciate the help,because ive said before that im a mechanical idiot.

Dean2
12-23-2021, 09:57 AM
The toyota dealership is making a key that matches the vin,and another outfit says it can replace the battery in the smart key hopefully this will fix my problem, fingers and toes crossed.thanks again guys i appreciate the help,because ive said before that im a mechanical idiot.

This big problem I see is that you say the physical key that you have now works in the ignition and not in the door or trunk locks. It means the ignition was probably changed out, which is common on repos, damage recovery vehicles and the like. It is however remotely possible that the door and trunk locks were replaced due to a break in, in which case a serial number matched key isn't going to work in them, but may work the ignition. Long way of saying, make sure Toyota guarantees the SN cut key will work on the doors and trunk or you don't have to pay them.

Fish along
12-23-2021, 10:08 AM
This big problem I see is that you say the physical key that you have now works in the ignition and not in the door or trunk locks. It means the ignition was probably changed out, which is common on repos, damage recovery vehicles and the like. It is however remotely possible that the door and trunk locks were replaced due to a break in, in which case a serial number matched key isn't going to work in them, but may work the ignition. Long way of saying, make sure Toyota guarantees the SN cut key will work on the doors and trunk or you don't have to pay them.

Thanks,they will make the key and if it don’t work I don’t have to pay.parts guy said that if the key wasn’t used much it wouldn’t work in the door or the trunk because the key would be worn but the lock itself would be as new and not worn at all,and therefore the key wouldn’t work.

Stinky Buffalo
12-23-2021, 10:40 AM
I NEVER buy a car unless they supply at least two working remotes with proper manual keys that work, or I knock at least 500 bucks off the purchase price.

That's a good policy, Dean2. I never thought of it that way.

Especially if the seller happens to "find" the "missing" remote, and they have your address from the Bill of Sale...

MK2750
12-23-2021, 10:44 AM
Not picking on the OP because I have heard this same story a dozen times over the years. The batteries are as easy to change as a TV remote and are available at most any electronics store.

A guy at work went as far as breaking a window when his remote failed. This guy is a licensed tradesman.

Just how exactly do people think these things work if not by batteries?

Fish along
12-23-2021, 01:00 PM
Well some good luck the door keys the Toyota guy made worked but stiff turning it actually twisted the key a bit, but it works so that’s the main thing. I also took the smart key to an audio place that changes fob keys but couldn’t fix because they said they needed a special key to open the battery box inside the plastic cover.he said I’ll have to go to the dealership.

MK2750
12-23-2021, 01:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csXkeNFr1yU

Dean2
12-23-2021, 01:39 PM
Well some good luck the door keys the Toyota guy made worked but stiff turning it actually twisted the key a bit, but it works so that’s the main thing. I also took the smart key to an audio place that changes fob keys but couldn’t fix because they said they needed a special key to open the battery box inside the plastic cover.he said I’ll have to go to the dealership.

Use some wd40 to wash out all the locks then lube them with silicone spray. They are probably heavily gunked up after 13 years and no maintenance.

Fish along
12-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Use some wd40 to wash out all the locks then lube them with silicone spray. They are probably heavily gunked up after 13 years and no maintenance.

Thats defnetly a good thing to do.and thank you for all your efforts,Merry Christmas.:)

Fish along
12-23-2021, 04:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxkenfr1yu

excellent video i should be able to do this and the battery is cr 2016 ,thanks.:)