PDA

View Full Version : Gun storage for restricted arms

saican
12-22-2021, 04:00 PM
Hi All,
Can I store my restricted and non restricted fire arms in homemade steel cabinet.
Thanks

The Cook
12-22-2021, 04:03 PM
Hi All,
Can I store my restricted and non restricted fire arms in homemade steel cabinet.
Thanks

As long as it's locked and ammo is stored separate.

saican
12-22-2021, 04:15 PM
Ehaa I am fabricating my own cabinet with little bit heavy gage metal sheets, thanks a lot for information.

Battle Rat
12-22-2021, 04:18 PM
If it is in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily broken into, you can store the ammo with the gun.

saican
12-22-2021, 04:28 PM
So I can make one more locked compartment inside the gun storage cabinet right.

Battle Rat
12-22-2021, 05:16 PM
So I can make one more locked compartment inside the gun storage cabinet right.

Not necessary, ammo and gun can be locked in the same receptacle together.
Just can't have a loaded mag in the gun or a round in the chamber/cylinder.

C2C3PO
12-22-2021, 05:53 PM
This used to be available on the CFP website:

https://public.dm.files.1drv.com/y4pIwkRYGxINn-rOFFiP1oXCPWMHCD8Imz3mJ9tAAV7pZ3DnG9EN6mtgX7O5UjWS aOrOXSQ--v-7E8wexdtuo9IqFVl0NFZE9--IbZIXHns2fPVytQOhlmcnEt604FlPSI3NsY6MAHhlqGrurGHPD 7fy2_Y66iUYMiwi3LHFXf0i0S6TnTS1gW1HgrXEUKrLZ1A/storage-entreposage-eng.jpg?rdrts=314844217

EZM
12-22-2021, 06:07 PM
As long as it's locked and ammo is stored separate.

This is a PERFECT example of why NOT to ask a question, particularly if it can have legal ramifications, on a forum.

You can store your ammo along with your guns as long as they are locked up.

the RCMP website says ....

Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/storing-transporting-and-displaying-firearms

saskbooknut
12-22-2021, 08:14 PM
To be clear - restricted has to be locked, inside a locked container.

no-regard
12-22-2021, 08:17 PM
To be clear - restricted has to be locked, inside a locked container.

Actually it does not.

Battle Rat
12-22-2021, 08:59 PM
This is concerning.
The whole PAL system was intended to make gun handling and storage safer.
The process fails not only by what is missing from the course content but from how common it is that the regs are misinterpreted.
I shouldn't be surprised when federal program fails to deliver.

Savage Bacon
12-22-2021, 09:59 PM
Actually it does not.Locked X 2

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

no-regard
12-22-2021, 10:12 PM
Locked X 2

Sorry, but that's not correct.

-Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into; or
-Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely.

Being locked in a safe or vault is sufficient, no trigger or secondary lock is required. Ammo can also be in the safe, alongside the guns. You can store magazines charged with ammo, sitting on the shelf directly beside the handgun they belong to, if you so desire.

Here's the link previously posted by EZM.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/storing-transporting-and-displaying-firearms

And lets remember the question at hand is what is legal, people are welcome to go above and beyond if they want to, but legal is the minimum standard - nothing more.

FXSB
12-22-2021, 11:22 PM
I believe there is case precedent that an all metal container is considered a safe.

saskbooknut
12-23-2021, 03:51 AM
I won't be going with the "tin box is a "safe" argument - your choice, your butt.

58thecat
12-23-2021, 04:29 AM

-Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into; or
-Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely.

Being locked in a safe or vault is sufficient, no trigger or secondary lock is required. Ammo can also be in the safe, alongside the guns. You can store magazines charged with ammo, sitting on the shelf directly beside the handgun they belong to, if you so desire.

And lets remember the question at hand is what is legal, people are welcome to go above and beyond if they want to, but legal is the minimum standard - nothing more.

Exactly.

Savage Bacon
12-23-2021, 07:20 AM
Well that's good news. I can take all of my trigger locks off. All of my restricted firearms are kept in my safe, which is locked in my gun room. When I took my restricted course I was told they needed 2 locks at all times. And stored in a non see through container. Maybe this is for when transporting only? I didn't read the link.

Does my locked gun room count? There's no window access, and the solid door is locked.

I always wondered what would happen if an officer happened to stop by just as you were about to clean or service a restricted firearm.

58thecat
12-23-2021, 08:13 AM
Not law but the way I figure it if I lock my house and have a gun sitting in the porch good to go.

If I lock my truck and have a gun on the rear window rifle rack good to go.

If you touch my stuff well things are immediately turning real bad and I have the right to do so no questions asked.

In my world....sorry for the derail now back to safe storage of my spoon set:)

Battle Rat
12-23-2021, 08:35 AM
I won't be going with the "tin box is a "safe" argument - your choice, your butt.

Most gun safes are made out of 12 gauge.
When I worked in a metal shop we referred to anything under 10 gauge (about 1/8") as tin.

EZM
12-23-2021, 08:35 AM

A "safe" is not a requirement.

ONE the examples they give include the word safe, but they ALSO say locked room, cabinet and container etc...

It seems to me they just want it inside your house, locked up in some sort of sturdy closet, cabinet, safe or container - instead of laying out in the open - simple as that.

elkhunter11
12-23-2021, 08:48 AM

ONE the examples they give include the word safe, but they ALSO say locked room, cabinet and container etc...

It seems to me they just want it inside your house, locked up in some sort of sturdy closet, cabinet, safe or container - instead of laying out in the open - simple as that.

Except if you don't use a safe , vault or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms in, you also need a locking device for restricted firearms.

ward
12-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Not law but the way I figure it if I lock my house and have a gun sitting in the porch good to go.

If I lock my truck and have a gun on the rear window rifle rack good to go.

If you touch my stuff well things are immediately turning real bad and I have the right to do so no questions asked.

In my world....sorry for the derail now back to safe storage of my spoon set:)

The storage rules were pretty much as you figure for a long time.

Savage Bacon
12-23-2021, 09:02 AM

It seems to me they just want it inside your house, locked up in some sort of sturdy closet, cabinet, safe or container - instead of laying out in the open - simple as that.Not to nit pick but how far does "simple as that" hold up in court? Now I'm assuming we're all responsible firearm owners here. But what happens when you're at your kitchen table cleaning your handgun and you gotta poop. Like right now! An officer looks in your window because he heard loud moaning. (I'm picturing cleaning one of my Colt Pythons) and sees the handgun sitting on the table. Now your front door is locked but your window isn't. What happens then?

They need straight rules that are easy to interpret. So if a situation arises you actually know you're not doing anything wrong. We can make all the excuses we want. "My front door is locked, the gate at my driveway is locked, blah blah blah. One officer can look at your gun room and say "yep looks good to me" then the next officer says" no no no that is unsafe storage, those are coming with me.

Like I said when I took my course I was told they need 2 locks at all times. So I took that as gospel. I didn't investigate any further to prove him wrong. But he was.

gramps73
12-23-2021, 09:09 AM

thank you for this post. I have always thought that it must be stores separately
Merry Christmas

58thecat
12-23-2021, 10:25 AM
The storage rules were pretty much as you figure for a long time.

When did it go all to hell?

That is the question then we bonk the meatheads upside the head who implemented such stupidity and right the way forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
12-23-2021, 10:42 AM
Except if you don't use a safe , vault or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms in, you also need a locking device for restricted firearms.

Agreed - and I hate the way these things are written ....we all have to be careful reading the and/or and how it's applied in the summary and how the rules are different between non restricted and restricted (or prohibited) firearms which may confuse many honest people. Best thing to do is err on the side of caution. I store all of mine as if they were restricted.

Storing firearms safely
Unload and lock your firearms!

Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.

Non-restricted firearms
Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or
Lock the firearms in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into.
locked container locked cabinet

Restricted and prohibited firearms
Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into; or
Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely.
For automatic firearms, also remove the bolts or bolt carriers (if removable) and lock them in a separate room that is difficult to break into.

32-40win
12-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Don't forget about Runkle'e vids to get some perspective on things, it's actually a good one on how storage is defined by the courts so far, not that it ever hurts to build better;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lowop2svZw&t=2s

EZM
12-23-2021, 11:16 AM
Not to nit pick but how far does "simple as that" hold up in court? Now I'm assuming we're all responsible firearm owners here. But what happens when you're at your kitchen table cleaning your handgun and you gotta poop. Like right now! An officer looks in your window because he heard loud moaning. (I'm picturing cleaning one of my Colt Pythons) and sees the handgun sitting on the table. Now your front door is locked but your window isn't. What happens then?

They need straight rules that are easy to interpret. So if a situation arises you actually know you're not doing anything wrong. We can make all the excuses we want. "My front door is locked, the gate at my driveway is locked, blah blah blah. One officer can look at your gun room and say "yep looks good to me" then the next officer says" no no no that is unsafe storage, those are coming with me.

Like I said when I took my course I was told they need 2 locks at all times. So I took that as gospel. I didn't investigate any further to prove him wrong. But he was.

If you have a cop peeking into your window just looking to bust you for something, and a prosecutor and judge looking to make an example of you, you have a steep hill to climb either way.

When my son took the course, I went and did it with him (I was giving him a ride anyways) and was an opportunity for me, as a responsible parent, to make sure what they are teaching him was correct.

The guy teaching the course was the son of a long time, well known, and respected local firearms instructor and his kid, teaching this course, only very recently got his own instructors license.

The kid was wrong on many things - from comments on what rounds will chamber in what guns, then to the storage rules where he seemed to be confused himself, to teaching them stupid and dangerous ways on how to verify a firearm was safe. All of which I corrected my son (and the class) on. That was very uncomfortable for me - do I come across as a smart ass or do I do the right thing here?

Yet this kid was licensed to certify and train new firearms owners???

I also did it in a way, so that not to embarrass the kid - so when he had people peeking down the barrel muzzle pointed toward them to see if it was clear .... I would say "you can also do this ..." and provided an alternative that did not place the muzzle in a position where it was pointed at your head.

I think this was in part to respect for his dad and partially because I wanted the other people in the room, some of them new to firearms, to learn the safest and best way to clear a firearm.

My point is, take what some "trained" firearms instructor with a grain of salt. It was clear to me the way this young instructor fumbled with some of the specialty firearm's he wasn't proficient, nor comfortable with them - yet here he was teaching a class to new firearms owners. I had to show him how the safety worked on one firearm and how to release/remove the bolt on another right in class as he was "teaching" the class.

gunluvr
12-23-2021, 01:27 PM
If the cops come to your home to inspect or confiscate firearms, it's likely they will use any excuse they can to find your storage illegal or at least inadequate.
If the cops come to your house after your firearms have been stolen, what is legal and adequate depends mostly upon how well you cooperate and how honestly you respond to their questions. This is from experience.

brass410
12-25-2021, 06:35 AM
Its been pointed out to me by different leo's that it will you or your representative that will have to articulate it before a judge to prove due dilligence was taken to secure your firearms. In this case I would document its construction and locking features very well, but my own thought is you will likely be good to go I constructed my vault from 1/2 " plate (bought a closing weld shop inventry) it's solid to say the least.

catnthehat
12-25-2021, 06:53 AM
Its been pointed out to me by different leo's that it will you or your representative that will have to articulate it before a judge to prove due dilligence was taken to secure your firearms. In this case I would document its construction and locking features very well, but my own thought is you will likely be good to go I constructed my vault from 1/2 " plate (bought a closing weld shop inventry) it's solid to say the least.

The term used is "safe storage and handling "" not "secure storage and handling".
You can safely store your unrestricted firearms in a locked case or have a trigger lock on it and stash it in your closet, PERIOD!
Their is no law stating that it has too be stored in a safe , vault or anything else.
I have been checked several times in the past by law enforcement with no issues at all.
Cat

Savage Bacon
12-25-2021, 08:11 AM
The term used is "safe storage and handling "" not "secure storage and handling".

You can safely store your unrestricted firearms in a locked case or have a trigger lock on it and stash it in your closet, PERIOD!

Their is no law stating that it has too be stored in a safe , vault or anything else.

I have been checked several times in the past by law enforcement with no issues at all.

CatThose are different rules than for restricted firearms.

catnthehat
12-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Those are different rules than for restricted firearms.

Sorry, I was referring to post #18
However my restricted arms were not triggerv ocked but inside my gun vault in a locked room .

Cat

gunluvr
12-28-2021, 04:56 AM
With bolt action rifles, the best storage option may be to remove the bolt and hide it somewhere else. Not to give a thief credit for reasoning, but if he steals it, it's basically worthless.

elkhunter11
12-28-2021, 06:20 AM
With bolt action rifles, the best storage option may be to remove the bolt and hide it somewhere else. Not to give a thief credit for reasoning, but if he steals it, it's basically worthless.

And then the bolt gets misplaced, and someone is posting here, looking for a new bolt. It happens a lot more than a person would expect.

brass410
12-28-2021, 06:36 AM
my bad, sorry I forgot to mention that my restricted are also stored within the same storage vault, however they are in they're own steel (also home built) vault, locked, with the bolts removed,and zip tied to trigger assembly (some assembly required if smart enough). Just in case we have a break in and they take the thermal lance from the shop and punch a hole in my vault (my home is a part of same building).Of course by then I'm pretty sure my two cane corso's will have appeared and It"s gonna be a teeth to pants party like the last time. (Lotsa stitches and a visit from authorities.) LOL

gunluvr
12-28-2021, 06:13 PM
And then the bolt gets misplaced, and someone is posting here, looking for a new bolt. It happens a lot more than a person would expect.

Although I'm sure it has happened, surely most gun owners could do something as simple as hiding all their bolts in one place. I'm sure just as many forgot/lost their safe combination.