PDA

View Full Version : Rob Furlong precision hunter course?

Twobucks
12-22-2021, 11:47 PM
Anyone here ever take it?

I’ve read the description in the past but now there’s no info on his website other than to list its existence. According to an email he sent out it’s being offered again this year. I’m curious about what other hunters felt it did for their field shooting.

Experiences? What did you get out of it? What helped and what maybe didn’t you like?

Thanks!

monsterdeer
12-23-2021, 05:59 AM
Curious as well.

Ackleyman
12-23-2021, 09:08 AM
Anyone here ever take it?

I’ve read the description in the past but now there’s no info on his website other than to list its existence. According to an email he sent out it’s being offered again this year. I’m curious about what other hunters felt it did for their field shooting.

Experiences? What did you get out of it? What helped and what maybe didn’t you like?

Thanks!

I took the long range course and thought it was pretty good. You get good instruction and lots of shooting from 100m to 1000 m.

marky_mark
12-24-2021, 09:20 AM
I would go if the timing was right

catnthehat
12-24-2021, 09:53 AM
I hve friends who have taken the long range courses and the high angle course and every one brought back a pile of experience and info from them.
One fella has been shooting along range for many years and has all the gear but still learned a lot .
However I am not aware of anyone who took their precision hunter course.
Cat

russ
12-25-2021, 06:24 AM
I would love to take a long range shooting course.

Ackleyman
12-26-2021, 09:43 AM
Some of the basic principals they teach you.

1- Position and body must support the weapon

2- The weapon must be pointed naturally at the target without undue physical effort

3- Sight alignment must be correct

4- The shot must be released and followed thru without disturbing the position.

The instructors know how to load their bipods , they take a shot , gun recoils straight back with very small muzzle jump and they can shoot another shot in a second , they are always on the target and make it look easy.

Twobucks
12-28-2021, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the replies - I’d love to take this some year but there doesn’t seem to be much info on it. Nice to hear from a couple who’ve taken his courses.

catnthehat
12-28-2021, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the replies - I’d love to take this some year but there doesn’t seem to be much info on it. Nice to hear from a couple who’ve taken his courses.

I can tell you that you strip your rifles right down, rails off and everything .
Then they show you how to put the parts back together correctly . I can only assume this is done so there is no second guessing loose screws, etc..
They then find out what you are using, MOA versus MilS
So they can teach you to properly adjust your particular
Scope for a particular range.
Rob told me that they have had completly green groups come out, (some who have never fired rifles before)and by the second day everyone was making hits at 1K.:)
If you are brininging your own rifle, you need a legal rig that will shoot 1MOA , with enough turret and rail to go out to 1K shooting prone, and 100 rounds .
Cat

DirtShooter
12-28-2021, 05:40 PM
You can also rent rigs from them, CADEX is what they will supply.

I don't doubt they will teach you a lot of things but ask yourself what you can do with the $800ish or so you'd pay for the course.

Their high angle shooting course looks fun.

catnthehat
12-28-2021, 06:02 PM
You can also rent rigs from them, CADEX is what they will supply.

I don't doubt they will teach you a lot of things but ask yourself what you can do with the $800ish or so you'd pay for the course.

Their high angle shooting course looks fun.
Yes, they used to use 308's as school rifles but this year their Cadex rifles are in 6.5Creedmoor.
BTW, to take the high angle course you need the basic and level two courses first , IIRC.
Rob's a great guy and his team is also top shelf, but his course would be lost on me for several reasons, not the least of which is am a sling 'n' irons shooter when it comes to long range shooting. I rarely use a scoped rifle while on the range .
However, I have some very knowledgeable friends who do shoot with optics long range and every one was super impressed.
Cat

DirtShooter
12-29-2021, 12:07 PM
Yes, they used to use 308's as school rifles but this year their Cadex rifles are in 6.5Creedmoor.
BTW, to take the high angle course you need the basic and level two courses first , IIRC.
Rob's a great guy and his team is also top shelf, but his course would be lost on me for several reasons, not the least of which is am a sling 'n' irons shooter when it comes to long range shooting. I rarely use a scoped rifle while on the range .
However, I have some very knowledgeable friends who do shoot with optics long range and every one was super impressed.
Cat

For sure, I don't doubt it one bit they are masters of their trade.

Personally I'd like to take their handgun and or carbine (if we are ever allowed to take them out of the safe again) courses.

Nice to have guys like this locally.

catnthehat
12-29-2021, 12:18 PM
For sure, I don't doubt it one bit they are masters of their trade.

Personally I'd like to take their handgun and or carbine (if we are ever allowed to take them out of the safe again) courses.

Nice to have guys like this locally.

One of his carbine instructors works up here and is a member of our club, super great guy.
When I asked , he informed me that all of Rob's instructors served in the PPCLI at the same time as he did- not all served with him, however, the guy up here was a " door kicker" but was deployed with his company IIRC.
I think they are running a modified carbine course at the moment, or at least working on one.
Cat

DirtShooter
12-29-2021, 05:19 PM
One of his carbine instructors works up here and is a member of our club, super great guy.
When I asked , he informed me that all of Rob's instructors served in the PPCLI at the same time as he did- not all served with him, however, the guy up here was a " door kicker" but was deployed with his company IIRC.
I think they are running a modified carbine course at the moment, or at least working on one.
Cat

Badass, since pistol caliber carbines are still available it'd be cool to do a pistol ppc course.

schreyer
12-30-2021, 09:23 AM
OP,

Although I haven’t taken the precision hunter course I can comment on the long range precision courses. I’ve done the three levels as well as two other friends have. One of whom has also taken the high angle precision course.

Rob and his colleagues are top notch and any questions you have they will answer with the utmost respect. He’s only a phone call away so I would encourage you to call him!

Without those long range courses I never would’ve been able to shoot the way I do know. It’s also enabled me to help others reach out to targets they’ve never been able to before.

Yes it’s expensive but anything you have a passion for these days usually goes that way. If I could do it all over agin I would in a heart beat.

Hope this helps.