PDA

View Full Version : Walking on slippery ice

antlercarver
12-23-2021, 10:03 AM
I put studs from a tire shop onto my outside boots. These are made by
iGRIP screw studs st1124. They come with a tool that fits into a electric drill
for installation. There are 24 studs to a package. I think they have carbide
tips and will make marks on bricks and concrete but you will not slip on ice.

Stinky Buffalo
12-23-2021, 10:44 AM
Great life hack there!

tirebob
12-23-2021, 10:46 AM
When I did semi truck tires and roadside service way back when living out east I use to drill little pin holes in the sold and shoot car tire studs in them all the time lol! Worked great for walking on ice but the owner would never let me in the office as it would scratch the tar out of the floors...

huntinstuff
12-23-2021, 11:01 AM
I have the slip on type

Better than falling

HuyFishin
12-23-2021, 11:03 AM
GREAT now i gotta bring my ice fishing boots to the tire shop.

cranky
12-23-2021, 11:08 AM
My last fall was two weeks ago. Hurt way to much for a old guy.
It musta knocked some sense into me cause I finally bought some studded slip ons.
No more puckered butt when walking for this guy. Can I say that on here.

urban rednek
12-23-2021, 11:19 AM
We've been using the slip on studded grips from Costco for a few years. They work great, although you have to step carefully when crossing dry concrete and pavement; best description is skating on the tips of the studs.
I tried the Yaktrax Pros last year. They are definitely more comfortable over all surface conditions, but they fell apart within 300 kms of use.

HuyFishin
12-23-2021, 11:22 AM
We've been using the slip on studded grips from Costco for a few years. They work great, although you have to step carefully when crossing dry concrete and pavement; best description is skating on the tips of the studs.
I tried the Yaktrax Pros last year. They are definitely more comfortable over all surface conditions, but they fell apart within 300 kms of use.

darn I just returned my 13 dollar icetrax last night. Tried them two trips and They still get slippery if you have a little bit of snow build up and back of the heel would still slip.

I was gonna look into the yaktrax lol

urban rednek
12-23-2021, 11:48 AM
darn I just returned my 13 dollar icetrax last night. Tried them two trips and They still get slippery if you have a little bit of snow build up and back of the heel would still slip.

I was gonna look into the yaktrax lol

You do have to adjust your stride to the accommodate the studded grips; land more flat footed than heel forward. Took me awhile to adjust to them at first. A couple heel slips and pulled muscles smartened me right up. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

The Yaktrax Pros were better overall traction and comfort, but they didn't stand up to the mixed surfaces and rough/bumpy ice covered trails. The side straps gave out from the abrasion. They would be great for smoother surfaces, like ice fishing.

obsessed1
12-23-2021, 12:03 PM
Years ago while framing I bought s pair of the yaktracks because I was sick of slipping and falling on knees/hips. my first pair lasted 3winters of use on the construction site ( not every day mind you but when ever there was a chance of slipping) I bought a second pair a few years ago now and still have both pair ( although my first pair the wire is really rusted and thin in areas) for hunting hiking and trapping I have a pair of slip on crampons. The type with small-med spikes....they have lasted over ten years now, but I would never attempt to wear them into town....they would be hell on any hard floor...and dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

bessiedog
12-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Pro tip here from running over ice .

Any pair of running shoes has soles thick enough to drill hex sided screws into them

Dab a bit of shoe goo.. then drill away.

They work perfectly!

Another pro tip

Don’t walk on your hardwood floor with them on if you want your wife to like you…… :/

ak77
12-23-2021, 01:35 PM
For the last 2 or 3 years the employer makes us put those studs into our work boots.
My opinion is really two-fold on them.
First, they work well when IT IS SLIPPERY. However, especially when they are fresh, very easy to get caught in the grated walkways, or if one's coveralls are too long, possible to catch the bottom of the coveralls, especially on the stairs going down, and then you look like a bolo'd animal, just tumblind down the stairs.
Second, unless you are running two sets of work boots - one studded and one not - those studs wear out in the non-slippery seasons, and at the same time I noticed my last 2 or 3 pairs of workboots with studs in them had significantly shorter life span. Also, and this is just my speculation at this point, I think studding the boots would void the warranty. Obvious solution - keep the second pair of boots - kinda becomes a bit expensive when you need 2 pairs to start with - tall rubber for wet work, and lighter breathable leathers for day-to-day running around.
As far as slip-ons go - never used them. But we discussed "traction aids" in the doghouse a couple of weeks ago. Our DD/MDW weren't particularly fond of them, because they had the slip-on rotate on the boot on them when they lost their footing once, and they wiped out anyway. Maybe they weren't wearing them right - not sure.

So, for the "civilian life", your fishing or yardwork boots you don't wear anywhere else - by all means, stud them. Will not regret. Day to day winter footwear - i wouldn't stud them.

wallz
12-23-2021, 02:36 PM
have a pair I bought at princess auto similar to these.

No more ice fishing slips thats for sure.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crampons-Traction-Stainless-Climbing-Mountaineering/dp/B07H4H98ZF/ref=asc_df_B07H4H98ZF/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335336138319&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6788857322623830753&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001482&hvtargid=pla-568317012670&psc=1

Albertadiver
12-23-2021, 02:40 PM
This is what I use.

https://kahtoola.com/traction/microspikes-footwear-traction/

Make sure you don't walk on a slick concrete slab. GREASY!

huntwat
12-23-2021, 02:40 PM
I like using smooth Teflon.

Duramaximos
12-23-2021, 04:37 PM
This is what I use.

https://kahtoola.com/traction/microspikes-footwear-traction/

Make sure you don't walk on a slick concrete slab. GREASY!X2 the best.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Fish along
12-23-2021, 04:56 PM
Thats pretty low kms you should bring em back for a refund lol.:sHa_shakeshout: I always have a pair on hand but i always forget to put them on..

boonedocks
12-23-2021, 06:04 PM
I also have a mandatory traction aid rule at my job site. I’ve tried all sorts of the cheaper slip on variety and much prefer permanently studding a second set of winter boots, as I find my back starts to ache from changing my gait while wearing the slip on variety. With that said, watch your step on steel plate on anything similar with any kind of studded footwear. Kinda like Bambi on ice

nelsonob1
12-23-2021, 08:48 PM
Motorcycle tire studs. They drill in super easy and grip like the devil. They also chew my wooden deck.

fordtruckin
12-23-2021, 09:35 PM
I have the slip on type

Better than falling

Bought a set a couple years back. I’m at the point when I get hurt it doesn’t heal as fast as I once did! Mine have little carbide studs in a pattern like golf shoes. Don’t protrude very far but boy they work well! Just don’t walk on hardwood, laminate linoleum or carpet!

Ken07AOVette
12-23-2021, 09:39 PM
I have Dakota tarantula boots. Little flip out handle in the back of the boot- 1 turn and 6 cleats extend. They are amazing, have used them at fire calls when everyone else is slipping everywhere, I could push a half ton on foot.

obsessed1
12-23-2021, 09:54 PM
I have Dakota tarantula boots. Little flip out handle in the back of the boot- 1 turn and 6 cleats extend. They are amazing, have used them at fire calls when everyone else is slipping everywhere, I could push a half ton on foot.Ok never seen traction on demand before. That right there is cool. Crazy neat bit of engineering

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Albertadiver
12-23-2021, 09:59 PM
I have Dakota tarantula boots. Little flip out handle in the back of the boot- 1 turn and 6 cleats extend. They are amazing, have used them at fire calls when everyone else is slipping everywhere, I could push a half ton on foot.

Yeah but you have to flick that switch before you put your shoes on! 😂😂😂😉

amosfella
12-23-2021, 11:43 PM
I have a pair of pull on style for hikers. They have a large rubber band at the top that goes around the boot from behind the toe to around the top of the heel. The soles have like diamond tire chains going around the sole and across the bottom. The traction is provided by triangular spikes of flat steel places at different angles. I've found these really good on ice and in snow on top of ice. They feel really weird on concrete. But unlike what some of the other guys have said, I've never had trouble with slipping on concrete. Feels more like walking on skates on a floor.

They're very much like these: https://www.amazon.ca/SYOURSELF-Crampons-Grippers-Anti-Slip-Stainless/dp/B08RRVW4BZ/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2H9Q8IZBTIHKU&keywords=hikers+ice+cleats+chain&qid=1640328238&sprefix=hikers+ice+cleates+chain%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-11

justsomeguy
12-24-2021, 12:05 AM

I bought a set of these for clearing the ice rink. Because of my walking style I find they lost traction, I tend to push off with my toes. I added about 25 small studs designed for snow blowers to each foot including a few right on the tip of the toe and heal. Work great but as mentioned, chew up any wood flooring and dangerously slippery on any hard surface like concrete as they can’t bite in and you’re actually walking on a bunch of stud heads with no rubber contact from boot sole.

sailor
12-24-2021, 12:13 AM
My last fall was two weeks ago. Hurt way to much for a old guy.
It musta knocked some sense into me cause I finally bought some studded slip ons.
No more puckered butt when walking for this guy. Can I say that on here.

Try this

https://www.skatehelper.com

KegRiver
12-24-2021, 04:08 AM
When I worked as a regen surveyor I bought a pair of these for walking over slippery logs in old cut blocks.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4208f/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/8172/9301/Steel_Toe_Spiked_Bushwhacker_Safety_Boot_CSA_Class _1_Viking_VW59-1__54839.1581116385.jpg?c=2

When I left the industry the boots went with me, I did purchase them.

They were okay for walking on ice but they took a special technique to use.

You kinda had to walk like a fat pigeon on hot pavement or those boots would trip you up.

No cleats on these things, those are spikes and they really dig in.

When the boots wore out I removed the spikes, they are around here somewhere.
But I decided it was just easier to walk carefully then have to carry two pairs of boots.
I couldn't even wear them in the truck cause they'd tear up the floor.

Reeves1
12-24-2021, 06:45 AM
Wear these & go straight up water fall ice : https://www.google.com/search?q=foot+fangs&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=lACKp5moaJ7ukM%252CDQPgCvf6yrDRQM%252C_%253B6l wW4206UVLB1M%252CAHcFD9Rya_i78M%252C_%253BD-3mLnSRUMzMnM%252CWVK0YtQzLbcVtM%252C_%253BftFmy_UU qA5EAM%252C28xPdgML-E9u_M%252C_%253BX3YIADR5Z34FcM%252CK0J6zMI0cR7jpM% 252C_%253BwtwE2s8TPls2TM%252CodvGe6Gvw_cE-M%252C_%253Bojh43_IskPu5MM%252C5mbgYRTrnFiPtM%252C _%253BvXi_dvYQuVxMQM%252CWVK0YtQzLbcVtM%252C_%253B kCnCG3NjtB2UTM%252C8zN-io-lhq-FsM%252C_%253BRu6ObP4EtoeBAM%252C-LtPOqjpOconoM%252C_%253BrI-gqbHU1zlryM%252CK0J6zMI0cR7jpM%252C_%253BUj7YbqSCL QMC0M%252C0k5pY-psbwY_RM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS6sf0GYjHcJZoBNx5nktANWMP_kw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrrIzryPz0AhUnHDQIHcYECsUQ9QF6BAgEEAE&biw=1280&bih=913&dpr=1#imgrc=lACKp5moaJ7ukM

javlin101
12-24-2021, 09:39 AM
I have the slip on type

Better than falling

Yup same here, another trick i learned after working at the U of A arena was slid your feet instead of stepping. Keeps more serface on the ice.

antlercarver
12-24-2021, 10:23 AM
GREAT now i gotta bring my ice fishing boots to the tire shop.
You dont have to take your boots to the tire shop, just buy a package and install the studs your self with a power drill. They come in different lengths
some only stick out 1/16 of a inch and do not snag on stuff but still
provide traction on ice.

MyAlberta
01-02-2022, 11:31 AM
This is the style I've used. MEC has replaced them 3x over 10 years at no cost due to breaking cables. I see broken yaktracs discarded around the trails, and have always considered them light duty.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-243/Diamond-Grip-Traction-Device?colour=BK000

thumper
01-02-2022, 03:09 PM
For light-duty ice-walking needs on slick ice or hard-packed snow - like crossing slippery parking lots or just going to check the mail box, I like Mark's Work Warehouse new winter boots & shoes with FX integrated in the rubber soles. FX is a new, grippy, fabric-like material that is extremely non-slip. Combines with their TMax tread patterns and Thermo linings, and they have a variety of great footwear.
They might still scuff hardwood floors, but don't do damage like the ice screws do.
If you have large feet - 11/12/13 - don't buy any of Mark's slip-on footwear. Stick to their lace-ups. The entrance hole to slip your foot into the shoe/boot is too small for larger feet - you'll need to sit down and struggle with a shoe-horn to get into them.

Ice FX works well though!

One'n'Done
01-02-2022, 06:13 PM
For light-duty ice-walking needs on slick ice or hard-packed snow - like crossing slippery parking lots or just going to check the mail box, I like Mark's Work Warehouse new winter boots & shoes with FX integrated in the rubber soles. FX is a new, grippy, fabric-like material that is extremely non-slip. Combines with their TMax tread patterns and Thermo linings, and they have a variety of great footwear.
They might still scuff hardwood floors, but don't do damage like the ice screws do.
If you have large feet - 11/12/13 - don't buy any of Mark's slip-on footwear. Stick to their lace-ups. The entrance hole to slip your foot into the shoe/boot is too small for larger feet - you'll need to sit down and struggle with a shoe-horn to get into them.

Ice FX works well though!
Bought a pair of Marks Ice FX boots AFTER the morning I hopped out of my truck wearing riding boots and woke up in a MRI machine at the South Health Campus at 2am the next morning.

Crankbait
01-02-2022, 07:01 PM
If you have great warm favorite old boots but not reatgreat on ice, thoroughly clean the bottom of them roll on or spray in some flex seal and then push the boots down against some fine clean sand.

Bought some boots for my niece and they're great and realised the soles are pulverised pumice infused with the rubber. Expensive boots that could have been done cheaper.

Cottus
01-03-2022, 08:33 AM
I’m glad folks are having these conversations these days! I took a wicked fall (on top of many not great falls) on a winter running trail a few years back. I had the fancy $10 Mark’s rubber POS grips that kept falling off…Anyways since then I have a selection of traction aids for work and fun, for running shoes, hikers, work boots, etc. For work most of the time I like the ones that are one band around the instep; you can rotate them out of the way for ladder work or inside. Adequate traction. Non-sparking available which is required for me.

cody j
01-03-2022, 08:42 AM
When I worked as a regen surveyor I bought a pair of these for walking over slippery logs in old cut blocks.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4208f/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/8172/9301/Steel_Toe_Spiked_Bushwhacker_Safety_Boot_CSA_Class _1_Viking_VW59-1__54839.1581116385.jpg?c=2

When I left the industry the boots went with me, I did purchase them.

They were okay for walking on ice but they took a special technique to use.

You kinda had to walk like a fat pigeon on hot pavement or those boots would trip you up.

No cleats on these things, those are spikes and they really dig in.

When the boots wore out I removed the spikes, they are around here somewhere.
But I decided it was just easier to walk carefully then have to carry two pairs of boots.
I couldn't even wear them in the truck cause they'd tear up the floor.

I have a pair of those, you can run across frozen frosty poplar logs with them. You will never slip on ice with them. Just can’t wear them in the kitchen