PDA

View Full Version : Let's Be Thankful For What We Have

waldedw
12-25-2021, 03:47 AM
At this time of year we should be thankful for what we have instead of being resentful about things that didn't work out as planned. I say this because last year on Dec 17th both my wife and myself tested positive for covid which essentially shut down our families Xmas, we were quarantined until Jan 2 and to be honest about it I was so sick I really didn't care, the grandkids were heart broken because Xmas is a big deal in our family.

This year we were planning a small Xmas celebration with the kids and grandkids, just the 12 of us for a couple days here at the house, well we almost pulled it off. On Tuesday our son in law who had not been feeling good for a couple days tested positive for covid BOOM just lost 5 of our family for the holiday, lots of sad faces and tears as was expected.

Last night we had our traditional Xmas eve supper of baked ham with all the trimmings, our son's family and the wife and myself, just 7 at the table, I took a moment before supper to give thanks and to remind all of us that we have so much to be thankful for, Mel ( our DIL ) was there and feeling much better, she just had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove a brain tumor, it was Dec 24th and we got to hug our granddaughter and wish her happy 19th birthday, we were gathered with loved ones in a warm house and had lot's to eat, OH so much to be thankful for.

Yes there was 5 very important people that could not be there and that sucks, but it's part of life and proves once again just how little control we actually have over things. We will have our Xmas turkey dinner tonight and again we will give thanks for what we have.

Sorry for being so long winded, Merry Xmas to you all
Ed

KegRiver
12-25-2021, 04:43 AM
There is much to be thankful for. My wife and I have reminded each other of that many times in the past few weeks.

Our freezers are full, Our pantry is too. Our bills are all paid and there is money in our savings accounts.
We have our health such as it is, and we have awesome neighbors.

We have two reliable vehicles in the drive and contact with all of our extended families, all 219 of them.

Most of all we have God's promises to lean on.

Merry Christmas to you and your kin.

sns2
12-25-2021, 05:47 AM
Thank you, Ed. Great reminder. Merry Christmas.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

fordtruckin
12-25-2021, 06:29 AM
Agreed! Haven’t seen my parents in Alberta for almost 2.5 years now. Darn Covid! Makes one appreciate family hat much more! Merry Christmas All!

Mb-MBR
12-25-2021, 08:03 AM
My mom used to remind us as kids that no matter how good or bad you have it, there is always someone better off or worse off then you are. The only thing we control is how we react to what is in front of us.

I've lost friends, acquaintances and family due to Covid the last two years but we're still hanging in there and will be spending another Christmas apart.

V45 sabre
12-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Definitely so many things to be thankful for that don't come to mind each and everyday. God's promises to lean on as well in these uncertain times.

Ken07AOVette
12-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Merry Christmas Ed.
I'm sorry you were unable to celebrate with everyone.

Grizzly Adams1
12-25-2021, 11:21 AM
We're at the top of the planetary food chain, something we forget and should be grateful for. Our worst problems are minor compared to what most of the world has to endure. Merry Christmas.

Grizz

Fish along
12-25-2021, 11:44 AM
No shortage of food,a warm house,and we have our health,which isnt earth shattering,but we have nothing to complain about other than things that are mostly uncontrolable,im sad to hear that your family is dealing with covid again but hopefully the future will be much brighter,Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.:)

Fish along
12-25-2021, 11:47 AM
Merry Christmas Ed.
I'm sorry you were unable to celebrate with everyone.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and your family Ken.:)

Ken07AOVette
12-25-2021, 11:59 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and your family Ken.:)

And you!!

walker1
12-25-2021, 12:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all of you. A reminder that if one does not have health you have nothing . We are family of 4 and went to inlaws last night.Italians, and enjoyed 5 different types of fish and of coarse pasta and a few libations.
They will come to my place around 4 and I have a 20 pound bird in oven. Small group which is fine. Wife gets worried that I will drink to early!!!!
Have to start the spuds so need a beer!!!!!

I always count my blessings as I grew up in the 70's in Cape Breton with no extras and appreciate the small things.

JD848
12-25-2021, 01:17 PM
Yes ED there's plenty to be thankful for , we all going to spend time with the grandkids and there all sick from what were not sure ,so just me and wife.

Christmas has never been a big time to party for me, I find it more of time to be grateful for what I have in life as it is and spend a bit of time chirpen with my creator alone.

ED, Merry Xmas to you and your whole family.
Cheers
JD

mooseknuckle
12-25-2021, 04:04 PM
Yes!! Christmas 2019 I was getting a 2" rumour ripped out of my testicle. 3 years, down a ball, but cancer free.

JULIUS
12-26-2021, 08:19 AM
I have been fortunate and am always thankful especially at this time of year. I won the lottery being born in Canada and I spend the interest on that freely.