PDA

View Full Version : Lipped off by someone I have never met...is everyone a jerk now??

HeavyD111
12-26-2021, 01:56 PM
Headed to the coop to grab a few goodies, and some elderly guy meets me at the door and blasts me out for who knows what, then threatens to punch me.

I couldnt even understand what he was saying as he was about 80 and maybe missing his dentures. Shrugged it off and walked into store, he was gone after my shopping finished.

No idea who this guy is..but sure was not full of xmas spirit. Small towns used to be friendly, I think things are a changing..

catnthehat
12-26-2021, 02:07 PM
WTH??!! Were you were a mask/no mask?? how about him?
That is about the only thing that comes to mind with me, but who knows these days!:thinking-006:
Cat

CaberTosser
12-26-2021, 02:16 PM
Who knows what his deal was? Some get extra miserable around Christmas, these days there are the two extreme camps around pandemic protocols, whether they're complaining about what you are doing, or about what you aren't doing. They might just be miserable all the time, or they may even be suffering from dementia and haven't been institutionalized yet.

Maybe the guys a hermit and this was his semi-annual trip to town for vinegar. Throw those types off kilter by being nice to them

Dean2
12-26-2021, 02:17 PM
Unprovoked verbal or physical attacks from a healthy 80 year old is so rare it isn't even funny, however at 80 Dementia and Alzheimer's are very real problems. He could easily have wandered away from someplace. With as cold as it is, I would be worried about him being out and around. I think I would be engaging the local RCMP to help look for him or at least see if he has been reported missing. If he is relatively healthy but regularly aggressive the Cops will know who he is.

catnthehat
12-26-2021, 02:42 PM
Unprovoked verbal or physical attacks from a healthy 80 year old is so rare it isn't even funny, however at 80 Dementia and Alzheimer's are very real problems. He could easily have wandered away from someplace. With as cold as it is, I would be worried about him being out and around. I think I would be engaging the local RCMP to help look for him or at least see if he has been reported missing. If he is relatively healthy but regularly aggressive the Cops will know who he is.
Could very well be Dean.
Cat

tri777
12-26-2021, 02:57 PM
I'd put a bet on a Dementia situation afoot HeavyD. A year ago while in a store i watched as a woman was
being extremely nasty to a guy mysteriously following her around the store aisles at a distance, for the
first few seconds I tried to understanding what both of their problems were with each other. It was when
the guy spotted me, the look on his full of expression face explained everything, he was her husband
shopping with her/an outing involving said dementia.

Sundancefisher
12-26-2021, 02:57 PM
As he dressed in red with a black belt and boots and a big white beard?

He may of just heard from the office he had to start working Dec 26 to ensure everything is done by Dec 25, 2022?

Nothing like a lack of holiday to make an old guy cranky.

In all seriousness.

It could be dementia. Could be mood swings from a diabetic reaction.

Best to alert the cops as it’s so cold out.

JD848
12-26-2021, 02:59 PM
Lucky he never cut lose and gave you a bad thumpen , you never know who to mess with this days .:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Most likely never had bowel movement in 2 weeks and this may upset most folks or like Dean says the poor old bugger isn't thinking right .

Or maybe he read the covid thread on AO before it was taken down. Drove him over the deep end.

JD

Dean2
12-26-2021, 03:03 PM
Lucky he never cut lose and gave you a bad thumpen , you never know who to mess with this days .:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Most likely never had bowel movement in 2 weeks and this may upset most folks or like Dean says the poor old bugger isn't thinking right .

Or maybe he read the covid thread on AO before it was taken down. Drove him over the deep end.

JD

Did they take the Covid thread down? If so why, it had so many rabid participants. Was extremely popular, probably drove 70% of the activity as the last time I scrolled past it, it listed it had many many pages in the header.

58thecat
12-26-2021, 03:28 PM

Well a few years back one old fella was shovelling his walk and another old fella was walking by and that was not happening as the guy shovelling hit the other fella with the shovel so the guy punched the fella with the shovel in the mouth...the two got broken up by their kids...small town southern Alberta :):fighting0030::)

huntinstuff
12-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Old people

Always looking for trouble

Their parents must be so proud, raising a tit like that

Probably wearing baggy pants too.....

tri777
12-26-2021, 04:24 PM
"..Did they take the Covid thread down? If so why.."
Somethin along the lines of skin issues, and the thinness thereof.

Dean2
12-26-2021, 04:25 PM
Old people

I truly love your sense of humour. :oregonian_winesmile:cheers::oregonian_winesmile:c heers:

tranq78
12-26-2021, 04:26 PM
Old people

Hey! I ran into that old dude's son on public transit in Edmonton. He tried to pick a fight with me. Dropped a lot of f-bombs and cuss words.

There was a lady with him and he was puffing up his chest to show her how he was gonna school me.

They got onto the train and sat across from me and he decided I was responsible for his problems in life.

Smoky buck
12-26-2021, 04:36 PM
When I am 80 I will do stuff like that just to see what I can get away with. Really once you have made it that far you might as well mess with people for fun and live every day like it’s your last :sHa_shakeshout:

Odds are he has a form of mental illness like Dean2 suggested but there is a small chance he just had a sick sense of humor and was testing what he could get away with

Grizzly Adams1
12-26-2021, 05:01 PM
Covid is unravelling our society on a bunch of levels and it won't improve. Isolation can be a terrible curse and you don't have to old to be affected, the experts have been warning us.

Grizz

Fish along
12-26-2021, 05:02 PM
Old people

You mean baggy pants and worn out shoes ?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Unregistered user
12-26-2021, 06:27 PM
It happened to me in Marathon Ontario this summer when we dropped the mask bs in Alberta. I went into a Robins donuts/ gas station, forgot my mask as every other stop along the way was pay at the pump and this little old man cussed a blue streak at me. I didn't know how to respond without being a jerk as this guy would break in half if l slapped him, but so very rude, I just got my coffee and left as he kept on screaming at me. Sometimes it is very hard to respect your elders but I think the governments, their manipulators and their MSM have terrorized people so much they just aren't so human anymore.

huntinstuff
12-26-2021, 08:12 PM
i truly love your sense of humour. :oregonian_winesmile:cheers::oregonian_winesmile:c heers:

😅😅😅

Lornce
12-27-2021, 07:01 AM
Work retail for a while, they really come out of the woodwork on a regular basis. Had a guy take a swing at me for asking him to follow protocol and wear his mask properly (not covering the nose).

HeavyD111
12-27-2021, 07:58 AM
I was wearing a mask, oddly enough he wasn’t...which is unusual as most of the seniors here are masked up morning until night.

Wow some of these stories are interesting, and yeah probably some mental issues going on with my experience.

JULIUS
12-27-2021, 08:31 AM
lost a brother in january he was 85 he definitely had lost his filter that allows one to keep their thoughts to themselves. Every time I took him for coffee I thought he was going to get a punch in the face. Luckily most people recognize the dementia and just walk away.

tirebob
12-27-2021, 09:01 AM
Somethin along the lines of skin issues, and the thinness thereof.

More like the complete opposite... Elephant skin. Everyone still alive in there was thick and wrinkly just throwing the same rock, picking it up and hurling it again, over and over hoping to pierce it to no avail.

Pointless is as pointless does...

Smoky buck
12-27-2021, 09:31 AM
More like the complete opposite... Elephant skin. Everyone still alive in there was thick and wrinkly just throwing the same rock, picking it up and hurling it again, over and over hoping to pierce it to no avail.

But but everyone must know “ I am right “ :sHa_sarcasticlol:

urban rednek
12-27-2021, 09:57 AM

Hear, Hear!

Big Grey Wolf
12-27-2021, 11:03 AM
You guys quit picking on us old guys, my hunting trapping partner is 81 this fall and I am not far behind. We almost always get our moose or elk each fall way back in the bush.

Smoky buck
12-27-2021, 11:47 AM
You guys quit picking on us old guys, my hunting trapping partner is 81 this fall and I am not far behind. We almost always get our moose or elk each fall way back in the bush.

I bet at your age 200yards off the road feels like it’s way back in the bush :sHa_sarcasticlol::sSc_hiding:

Ken07AOVette
12-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Maybe he remembered something you said to him 60 years ago :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mb-MBR
12-27-2021, 12:17 PM
Headed to the coop to grab a few goodies, and some elderly guy meets me at the door and blasts me out for who knows what, then threatens to punch me.

I couldnt even understand what he was saying as he was about 80 and maybe missing his dentures. Shrugged it off and walked into store, he was gone after my shopping finished.

No idea who this guy is..but sure was not full of xmas spirit. Small towns used to be friendly, I think things are a changing..

Wonder if he's a banned member on here......lol

DanJ
12-27-2021, 06:32 PM
Two sides to every story. You ticked him off somehow. Come clean.

Freedom55
12-28-2021, 07:14 AM
Wonder if he's a banned member on here......lol

Seems to me that the last 'old' man on here to get banned was in all actual fact a woman; a lonely, desperate human with an identity crisis at retirement age. :)

Jims83cj5
12-28-2021, 07:32 AM
Two sides to every story. You ticked him off somehow. Come clean.

Yup, like to hear the other side of the story

stob
12-28-2021, 07:58 AM
remember 1 in 4 have mental health issues of some kind at some time or maybe all the time and that if you cannot recognise this in them, then it is you - hahaha

Buckhead
12-28-2021, 08:11 AM
Sometimes I talk to myself and we both laugh and laugh.

Savage Bacon
12-28-2021, 10:38 AM
You said he wasn't wearing a mask. Maybe a few people questioned him about it, and he was expecting you to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Big Grey Wolf
12-28-2021, 10:46 AM
Smokey, hard for us Old Boys to manage a 80 square mile trapline without being way back in the Bush.

HeavyD111
12-29-2021, 10:07 PM
Yup, like to hear the other side of the story

I am hardly in Wakaw as I work away and absolutely have never met this guy, so the chances of me having ****ed him off earlier are pretty slim.

But, and I never thought of it at the time, I had a toque, glasses, and a mask on, he must have thought I was someone else.

Still interesting, people seem to be much more “vocal” since the big C came around.

Smoky buck
12-30-2021, 05:21 AM
Smokey, hard for us Old Boys to manage a 80 square mile trapline without being way back in the Bush.

Only poking fun giving you a hard time. I won’t judge what you do when I don’t know you and have nothing to base it on

I have met old buggers who are tough as nails so I realize there is all types. Logged with a guy in his 70’s who split a truck load of firewood every day after a 10-12hr shift to give away to others. He was in better shape then some who were half his age

When living in BC I owned/operated a trapline( I ran a line in steep county the old trappers called it a “young man’s line”) and was also a chairman for the local. I have met all types that ran lines and being a trapper doesn’t give a guy a free pass though. Plenty of fat lazy trappers out there. The headache, cost of lines in Alberta, and fur market is the only reason I gave up trapping in Alberta.

Alberta’s trapline system and the cost of line’s has turned me right off of trapping in this province

Either way was just giving you a hard time for humor nothing more

elkhunter11
12-30-2021, 07:09 AM
A guy that I assume to be in his 80s called me every foul name he could think of on the skeet field, when I asked him to put on safety glasses. Another couple of fellows asked me what that was all about, because they assumed that I had past history with the guy. The one fellow remarked that he would not have been as calm as I was if he had been in my position. The old guy had even brought a guest with him, and it was obvious that the guest was embarrassed. I had never met the guy, and I won't be disappointed if he never comes back.

sewerrat
12-30-2021, 08:13 AM
I used to work for a Municipality, we had to fix a water break on the street some old dude comes along and telling us that we are not doing it right, wasting to much time, he could have fixed it in 30 min. Meawhile we had hydrovac truck, high hoes and other equipment. So for safety reason I told him not to come near the site, and please stay away.
Guess what I basically got told to F off because he new how to fix it.

I ended up calling the town bylaw and deal with the fella.

It seems to me all old dudes that are retired and sit at home, driving their wife crazy are crazy.
And all the old dudes know it best cause they all been there done that, meanwhile they were the local accountant, or school teacher all their life.

Grizzly Adams1
12-30-2021, 08:41 AM
I used to work for a Municipality, we had to fix a water break on the street some old dude comes along and telling us that we are not doing it right, wasting to much time, he could have fixed it in 30 min. Meawhile we had hydrovac truck, high hoes and other equipment. So for safety reason I told him not to come near the site, and please stay away.

It seems to me all old dudes that are retired and sit at home, driving their wife crazy are crazy.
And all the old dudes know it best cause they all been there done that, meanwhile they were the local accountant, or school teacher all their life.

And some of us know you can fix anything with duct tape. :lol:

Grizz

Big Grey Wolf
12-30-2021, 10:12 AM
Smokey, thanks for the reply, you being a trapper in another life know the work we have to put in to maintain a trapline. We All need to be ribbed sometime. By the way also have one of them very steep traplines, some of those snowmobile club guys with their high powered machines spin out on my hills.

silver
12-30-2021, 05:25 PM

When I used to run iron in this country, I figured that the best job of brushing or rock digging was done from the seat of a pickup truck or from a chair in the coffee shop.

JD848
12-30-2021, 05:34 PM
A guy that I assume to be in his 80s called me every foul name he could think of on the skeet field, when I asked him to put on safety glasses. Another couple of fellows asked me what that was all about, because they assumed that I had past history with the guy. The one fellow remarked that he would not have been as calm as I was if he had been in my position. The old guy had even brought a guest with him, and it was obvious that the guest was embarrassed. I had never met the guy, and I won't be disappointed if he never comes back.

I can't see how anyone could ever be angry at you or say foul words to you , maybe it could happen, but I doubt it.:)

CHEERS
JD

elkhunter11
12-30-2021, 07:33 PM
I can't see how anyone could ever be angry at you or say foul words to you , maybe it could happen, but I doubt it.:)

CHEERS
JD

I could use the same sarcasm to describe my impression of you, but as I posted, one of the fellows told me that he was surprised that I remained so calm and polite after the old man broke out swearing at me like he did, for no reason. Regardless of what I may think of someone's behavior, one of the reasons that I did well in leadership, and that I am often elected into club executive roles, is that I don't lose my temper and blow up easily. I am usually able to deal with situations without escalating things.

JD848
12-30-2021, 08:14 PM
I could use the same sarcasm to describe my impression of you, but as I posted, one of the fellows told me that he was surprised that I remained so calm and polite after the old man broke out swearing at me like he did, for no reason. Regardless of what I may think of someone's behavior, one of the reasons that I did well in leadership, and that I am often elected into club executive roles, is that I don't lose my temper and blow up easily. I am usually able to deal with situations without escalating things.

Then the feeling is mutual ,you have a great NEW YEAR and i hope 2022 is very good to you and your family. I never take this stuff personally about you .

If I did it would be on PM with you and I did asked you for some info on pm
before and you were very polite and decent to me .Just sometimes we see things differently ,but never any malice what so ever.

Cheers
JD

Big Grey Wolf
12-31-2021, 10:13 AM
You young punks on AO should realize "The older we get the Better we were"

Mavrick
12-31-2021, 11:37 AM
Tired, worn out broken down old guys ****ed off, I agree what’s their problem. I have an old farmer down the road from me. I have coffee with him often, he thinks I’m an idiot, a no good for nothing waste of fresh air as he calls me. And if I don’t come down for coffee one week his ****ed off.

Chewbacca
12-31-2021, 10:35 PM
Tired, worn out broken down old guys ****ed off, I agree what’s their problem. I have an old farmer down the road from me. I have coffee with him often, he thinks I’m an idiot, a no good for nothing waste of fresh air as he calls me. And if I don’t come down for coffee one week his ****ed off.

If someone started bad mouthing you when you weren’t around he would probably punch him out. I once knew a fellow like that a long time ago. It was definitely an odd way of showing friendship. :)

densa44
01-01-2022, 11:04 AM
Mental illness in the elderly is not a pretty sight, and it has a very sad outcome. Try to stay well everyone.

pikergolf
01-01-2022, 12:09 PM
One of the first symptoms of dementia is the inner filter going.

waldedw
01-01-2022, 12:12 PM

Yes this is so true, have personally witnessed it twice within our family it's hard to watch someone you love slowly slipping away mentally.

Grizzly Adams1
01-01-2022, 12:53 PM
Yes this is so true, have personally witnessed it twice within our family it's hard to watch someone you love slowly slipping away mentally.

Then , I've been Wacko for decades, ask anyone . :D

Grizz

Smoky buck
01-01-2022, 03:38 PM

If that is the case my symptoms started in my teens :)

waldedw
01-01-2022, 04:58 PM
Then there are those that are born without a filter, somehow it got missed as an option on the build sheet :sHa_shakeshout:

Smoky buck
01-01-2022, 05:02 PM
Then there are those that are born without a filter, somehow it got missed as an option on the build sheet :sHa_shakeshout:

This maybe my problem and I just can’t remember far enough back lol

Ken07AOVette
01-01-2022, 07:40 PM

Haha!

We know the same people lol