PDA

View Full Version : Did your parents are yourseld make LYE soap

threeforthree
12-26-2021, 04:01 PM
Can remember mom making the soap, turned my stomach. We cleaned out wife's dads house and he had about 4 bars of sealed Zest, said to wife ya I will use it.. man my stomach turned, as like when I was a kid. to the garbage it went.

Grizzly Adams1
12-26-2021, 05:06 PM
I didn't realize soap making was so stomach turning. I know a couple of ladies who make some real nice soap, easy to look at and smells nice. Popular Christmas gifts for them. :confused:

Grizz

silver
12-26-2021, 05:10 PM
I can remember saving bacon fat all winter so my mother could make lye soap in the spring. I wasn't old enough to have had anything to do with the production.

kodiakken
12-26-2021, 06:34 PM
My mother use to make a batch every fall. We use to make her do it outside as it stunk the house up so bad.
Remember the smell of rendering lard??
To me that was a real gagger now we do it in the slowcooker and absolutely no smell from it at all.

Phil McCracken
12-26-2021, 07:02 PM
Hmmmm...

After the recent Xmas at my daughter's place, for the ladies...bath "bombs" seemed very popular...

What is the deal on these things?...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I am a shower type guy and don't get it...:)

Pioneer2
12-26-2021, 07:07 PM
I remember Gilbert's Lye with the lion on the can.

tony d
12-27-2021, 09:23 AM
A buddy of mine rendered a bunch of fat from his fall bear and made soap with other additives of course lye included plus essential oils his goal was manly soap he succeeded I use it to shower and shave daily great stuff

calgarychef
12-27-2021, 01:47 PM
I love home made soap, it rinses off completely and doesn’t leave me feeling slimey. Dove soap… I get the heegiejeebies just thinking of the feel that stuff leaves.

I had a soap making book and had intended on trying a batch but didn’t get around to it. Ive seen homemade soap on the Hutterite colonies they use big chunks of it in the kitchens.

Hawkeye
12-27-2021, 02:01 PM
I recall my Mom making that, probably late 60's or early 70's.
It was pretty harsh stuff.

Mb-MBR
12-27-2021, 02:12 PM
I remember my mom making soap on the rez, she used ashes from a certain wood, beeswax she collected and wild mint, those pink rosebud flowers and muskeg tea......... was all we had. A vague memory think only store bought soap I ever saw was sunlight but we used that to plug gas tanks more than anything else.

Freedom55
12-28-2021, 07:26 AM
I think my mother "lyed" when she told me I could "grow potatoes in my filthy ears."

6.5 shooter
12-28-2021, 09:06 PM
My Mom rendered down beef/pork fat every fall in the oven never smelled bad ( maybe if it was burned?) then sometimes she would take little pieces of rendered pork and turn them into bacon puffs with salt and pepper, nummmy it was a real treat. She mixed wood ash, lard and lye together to make the soap. Only problem with it, it was a lot like sand paper but with my dad's tough old rancher hands it did do, the job at hand :). I think she even used it for laundry soap just ran it through a fine carrot shredder.