PDA

View Full Version : Big biddy heater deal

Brodhead
12-26-2021, 05:32 PM
If anyone is looking for a mr. Heater Big Buddy Heater they are for sale at Lowe's for 179. Canadian Tire will price match and they currently have a 30 times points event where it works out to about $30 in Canadian Tire money so you can get the Big Buddy Heater for about $80 off

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Unregistered user
12-26-2021, 06:07 PM
Thanks, great info.

Sundancefisher
12-27-2021, 01:08 PM
I'm probably going to get one. Does Lowes sell the attachment hose to hook this up to a 20lb bottle? Anyone know if there is a specific type or who sells them? Those 1 pound bottles are excessively expensive now.

Also when you log into Lowes they offer a $10 off discount code for the first purchase online. It works and with pickup the heater is $169 plus tax.

HuyFishin
12-27-2021, 01:10 PM
big buddy has actually always been 180 all year at lowes. while most were 225ish

Sundancefisher
12-27-2021, 01:14 PM
big buddy has actually always been 180 all year at lowes. while most were 225ish

They have the only stock in Calgary it appears.

Lambo
12-27-2021, 02:37 PM
It's $180 because it does not have the fan. Was going to buy one but already have one. I never use my fan anyways so $180 is not bad.

Frank_NK28
12-27-2021, 02:39 PM
I'm probably going to get one. Does Lowes sell the attachment hose to hook this up to a 20lb bottle? Anyone know if there is a specific type or who sells them? Those 1 pound bottles are excessively expensive now.

Also when you log into Lowes they offer a $10 off discount code for the first purchase online. It works and with pickup the heater is $169 plus tax.

Princess Auto carries the hoses for 20lb bottles. I have two buddy heaters, a big buddy and the regular buddy heater and two of the hoses. They work great.

nimrod
12-27-2021, 03:45 PM

Check out amazon.ca, they do carry the hoses that plug into the big buddy

Douglas N
12-27-2021, 06:40 PM
They were $119 at Lowe’s just before Christmas. Santa bought me one, but had to get Peavey Mart to price match as Lowe’s was out of stock.

Douglas N
12-27-2021, 06:42 PM

I bought my hose at Canadian Tire.

AlbertanGP
12-27-2021, 09:55 PM
Does Lowes sell the attachment hose to hook this up to a 20lb bottle? Anyone know if there is a specific type or who sells them?

If you're new to the Big Buddy, take the time to get Mr. Heater hose #F271803. It has a quick connect to attach to the heater itself, and a regulator at the bottle so you don't have to run filters. Filters aren't cheap and should be replaced every year.

calgarygringo
12-28-2021, 06:02 AM
I have been running Big Buddies for years even before they were ever sold in Canada way back and currently have 1 for fishing and 1 for my deck room and run 1 lbers and run them of 20 and 30lb tanks.

For hoses I have 3 kinds and they all work well. The standard hose from the tank to the connector works well but make sure you buy the filter and screw it onto your unit first. Short term you will not notice but after a lot of use they can plug up on you if you don't. I also have a quick connect hose end which I actually like really well and with just having to click it up and on is great especially when it is really cold out and I just want to get it going. I also spent some money on another hose and got one that is flexible in cold weather. This one is my fave and is really nice to have and not have a hose that is so stiff that t is hard to manoeuvre.
Another tip for you guys is to carry a long fire starter lighter with you. When it is really cold like lately the sparker can be hard to start. Instead just use a lighter instead and it will fire up right away.
And I also see fans mentioned and for info they are discontinued and are no longer made for them up here. If you find one you will know it is an oldie that has been sitting around. I personally never used them myself anyways but there are some decent fireplace type fans you can sit on top now that will do a better job.

Sundancefisher
12-28-2021, 09:45 AM
If you're new to the Big Buddy, take the time to get Mr. Heater hose #F271803. It has a quick connect to attach to the heater itself, and a regulator at the bottle so you don't have to run filters. Filters aren't cheap and should be replaced every year.

What regulator would you suggest?

Sundancefisher
12-28-2021, 10:40 AM

Looks like the #F271803 means you don’t need the filter.

Ordered one.

Crazy how hard it is to find anything to purchase these days

Sundancefisher
12-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Picked mine up. $169 after the $10 promo.

They had 10 in stock when I bought it yesterday. 2 left now at the McKenzie store.

SamSteele
12-29-2021, 07:25 AM
Just a comment that Cabelas will price match Lowe’s Big Buddy price if you find yourself there instead or Lowe’s isn’t that close.

TBark
12-30-2021, 08:34 PM
How does the hose work with the big buddy?
Do you need 2 hoses and splitter at the 20 lb tank, or can you run an empty one pounder and one hose?

TBark

TBark
12-30-2021, 08:35 PM

JBKING
12-30-2021, 11:03 PM
Do you need 2 hoses and splitter at the 20 lb tank, or can you run an empty one pounder and one hose?

TBark

Big buddy can run on one hose from a big propane tank to either side of the heater. The reason for two connections is you need 2 of the one pound tanks for it to run on high, won't work with just one of them

Brodhead
12-30-2021, 11:05 PM

TBarkDon't need a splitter. The heater works with only one bottle on one side

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

JohnB
12-31-2021, 04:27 PM
12' hose are on sale at Primcess Auto. $39.99.

Sundancefisher
12-31-2021, 04:33 PM

Short stock in North America however I found one and should have it Jan 5.

I am hoping this heater with a 20 lb bottle will keep me toasty warm in my 6 man Frabill.

Thanks again for the tip.

AlbertanGP
12-31-2021, 07:56 PM
12' hose are on sale at Princess Auto. $39.99.

Be very careful of any generic hose you use on a Mr. Heater product. The softer and more pliable the hose, the more likely you are to have problems over time.

I came across this response to a YouTube Video I watched recently. Hopefully it can provide some enlightenment on the common problem with Buddy heaters and why the filter is a must in most cases.

My name is neill, and I’m the Senior Tech at Enerco Mrheater. The oil substance is called plasticizers, this is added to all rubber to give it its flexibility. The buddy heaters are unusual in a way because they’re regulated at the unit, instead of being regulated at the fuel source (propane tank larger then 1lb cylinder). Because of this you have tank pressure in the fuel line, which ranges from anywhere around 60-190 psi depending on outside ambient temperature. That pressure squeezes and contracts the hose causing the "plasticizers" to leach out. This is the oily residue you will find coming out of the fuel lines, or possibly see it puddle up underneath the heater.

We make our hoses out of a special kind of rubber that has a very low amount of plasticizer. This is why our hoses are pretty stiff and not easily bendable. This only affects the buddy line of hoses, so this is why we designed and patented our propane fuel filter so these oils can be caught before entering the heater.

These are portable radiant heaters, designed to be used with 1lb throwaway propane cylinders, but we know we need longer run times. This is why we make accessory hoses to connect to larger tanks.

Now with all this being said the 10ft hose (F273704) is the only hose not required to use the fuel filter, unless you have a big buddy and you can get our 12ft (F271803) regulated quick disconnect hose.

AlbertanGP
12-31-2021, 07:57 PM

I am hoping this heater with a 20 lb bottle will keep me toasty warm in my 6 man Frabill.

You're going to be very happy with your setup. :)

Unregistered user
12-31-2021, 10:35 PM
The 1lb cans have really gone up in price. I got an adapter from amazon for $11 and refill them off a 20lb tank. Very nice and yeah I know they're "Not refillable" but they really are. $1 a go instead of 8.

Greatwest
01-01-2022, 07:53 AM

You will be plenty warm with that setup!! Is your 6 man insulated? My Eskimo is and -30 with the Big Buddy heater on high I am fishing with out a jacket on. Biggest thing is use those foam interlocking mats to keep your feet off the bare ice. I hate cold feet they are always the first thing to get cold on me.

Sundancefisher
01-01-2022, 11:30 AM
You will be plenty warm with that setup!! Is your 6 man insulated? My Eskimo is and -30 with the Big Buddy heater on high I am fishing with out a jacket on. Biggest thing is use those foam interlocking mats to keep your feet off the bare ice. I hate cold feet they are always the first thing to get cold on me.

Not insulated. I have -60 boots so my feet are never cold.

Most annoying thing I find in tents is the condensation.

AlbertanGP
01-01-2022, 12:40 PM
Not insulated. I have -60 boots so my feet are never cold.

Most annoying thing I find in tents is the condensation.

Uninsulated = Condensation ;)

I have an older Clam Yukon TC (thermal cover) in which only the top is insulated. Even that puts an end to getting rained on.

Greatwest
01-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Uninsulated = Condensation ;)

I have an older Clam Yukon TC (thermal cover) in which only the top is insulated. Even that puts an end to getting rained on.

I will second that about no condensation or very minimal in my insulated Eskimo. One of the main reasons I went with insulated after reading pros/cons between the 2.

SamSteele
01-02-2022, 11:12 PM
For those of you using a quick connect hose, do you still use the filter?

SS

eman
01-02-2022, 11:19 PM
WTS the one with built in fan. 180$ cash used 1 season. pick up southside edmonton.

AlbertanGP
01-03-2022, 09:19 AM
For those of you using a quick connect hose, do you still use the filter?

SS

Where would you attach the filter if you used the quick connect hose? ;)

Mr. Heater hose #F271803 (their quick disconnect hose) has a regulator right at the bottle, so the pressure in the hose is greatly diminished. Because of that, the plasticizers don't leach out of the hose rubber into the fuel and you don't need a filter to catch them before they gum up the unit.

AlbertanGP
01-03-2022, 09:47 AM
Here's what you're looking for. I just received an order from Thorne Bros. in MN where I decided to pick up another one. I have more new crap sitting in my shop than Jay Siemens. lol.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-BJDg6sG/0/1255b5f6/X4/i-BJDg6sG-X4.jpg

SamSteele
01-03-2022, 10:53 AM
Where would you attach the filter if you used the quick connect hose? ;)

Mr. Heater hose #F271803 (their quick disconnect hose) has a regulator right at the bottle, so the pressure in the hose is greatly diminished. Because of that, the plasticizers don't leach out of the hose rubber into the fuel and you don't need a filter to catch them before they gum up the unit.

That’s why I was asking. Wondered if there was a quick detach filter that I was missing.

AlbertanGP
01-03-2022, 11:13 AM
The only filter I am aware of is the screw on one I'm sure you've seen/have. No filter needed with the quick connect hose with the regulator built in.

SNAPFisher
01-03-2022, 11:46 AM
Hmmm. I'm running a 10lb with approved hose and screw in filter. On the 10 lb I get sporadic pressure changes which sometimes light the buddy heater up on HIGH and sometimes sputters out too. It is not the hose since I use a 5lb as well and never have the same issue. Would a inline regulator in the hose help?

AlbertanGP
01-03-2022, 12:00 PM
If you reference post #23 on Page 1, the Mr. Heater tech says line pressure can vary from 60-190 psi. I'm not sure if the cold increases or decreases line pressure, but I'm sure a regulator could help if you can find one to fit between the tank and the hose like on the quick connect hose pictured above.

Sundancefisher
01-04-2022, 06:27 PM
Here's what you're looking for. I just received an order from Thorne Bros. in MN where I decided to pick up another one. I have more new crap sitting in my shop than Jay Siemens. lol.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-BJDg6sG/0/1255b5f6/X4/i-BJDg6sG-X4.jpg

Mine arrived today! :sHa_shakeshout:

Now to fill my 20lb bottle.

7magtime
01-06-2022, 09:49 PM
I checked Cabela’s this afternoon and the Big Buddy’s went on sale for $159.99. I went and picked one up as I was looking to upgrade. I called customer service before I went down and they had 26 or 28 in stock still at Cabela’s North in Edmonton.
I checked for accessory hoses as well but they were sold out.
Looking forward to trying it out soon….:)

AlbertanGP
01-06-2022, 10:02 PM
I'd just run it on bottles anyways if you can't find the proper hose. It's good to have a half dozen or so bottles and the tank adapter that allows you to refill them...it's super easy with this recent cold weather. TBH, I prefer to just run 1lb bottles unless I'm overnighting, and they always come along as a backup.

7magtime
01-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Thanks for that information AGP.
Is this the adapter you guys use to refill the 1 lb bottles off a 20 lb propane tank?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A089602435BER6FYWITOW&url=%2FRegulator-Cylinder-Throwaway-Disposable-Accessory%2Fdp%2FB088DY2L57%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1_sspa%3F crid%3D9K0XNODLVEZE%26keywords%3Dpropane%2Brefill% 2Badapter%26qid%3D1641582434%26sprefix%3DPropane%2 52Caps%252C143%26sr%3D8-1-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1641582434&id=4845251204384558&widgetName=sp_atf

AlbertanGP
01-07-2022, 01:24 PM
Thanks for that information AGP.
Is this the adapter you guys use to refill the 1 lb bottles off a 20 lb propane tank?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A089602435BER6FYWITOW&url=%2FRegulator-Cylinder-Throwaway-Disposable-Accessory%2Fdp%2FB088DY2L57%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1_sspa%3F crid%3D9K0XNODLVEZE%26keywords%3Dpropane%2Brefill% 2Badapter%26qid%3D1641582434%26sprefix%3DPropane%2 52Caps%252C143%26sr%3D8-1-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1641582434&id=4845251204384558&widgetName=sp_atf

Essentially yes. The Acme nut (black plastic knurled knob) on that one is fancier than mine. I need a crescent wrench to tighten mine up. Keep in mind that both ends are threaded opposite. So when you tighten the 1lb bottle on, it will have a tendency to loosen the adapter from the tank. ;)

Basically, you want to get the bottles as cold as you can (outside for an hour in these temps or in a cold freezer otherwise) and the tank as warm as you can (just room temp in a warm shop is fine)..the temperature differential is what does the work so you don't have to mess with the pressure relief valve (which can easily render the bottle useless permanently via a slow leak). Once you have the bottle attached to the tank via the refill adapter be sure to tip the propane tank upside down. Now tip it a little bit to open the valve on the tank and you'll hear the bottle start filling. It will take a couple of minutes to fill, and you will hear a different noise right before it finishes. Once it's done you can put your ear by the bottle and you won't hear anything. Be sure to close the valve on the tank before disconnecting the bottle. I like to weigh mine with my fishing scale and some heavy mono tied in a loop on each end just to verify everything. Empty bottles weigh about 14 oz, so you should be around 1lb14oz when full. Honestly, I fill many to 2lb4oz or so and have never had a problem. Buyer beware with that though. ;)

If you're unsure of anything just post here or PM me. It's 1000% worth learning to do, as you get the convenience of the bottles with the cheap tank prices.

7magtime
01-07-2022, 03:05 PM
Appreciate that information above AGP. :)
I’ll get one on order and PM you if I have any questions when I go to use it.

Sundancefisher
01-08-2022, 11:24 AM
Anyone notice the manuals says not to use indoors? I was surprised there is no O2 sensor however I also didn’t look first.

Keeping the air vent open in the tent along with all the gaps along the ice I would think it would be safe in a 6 person tent.

AlbertanGP
01-08-2022, 12:50 PM
Anyone notice the manuals says not to use indoors?.

That's lawyer-speak. Really, I wouldn't even give it a second thought unless you were overnighting and using one for heat. In that case a CO detector is in order. Mine have never picked up an elevated reading while camping on the ice.

It's the old sunflower-type heaters you have to be careful with. Looking back, I now realize I almost killed myself a few times with one back in the eighties. If you feel tired/groggy and have a pounding headache, it's time to go outside.
:scared0018:

JohninAB
01-08-2022, 04:55 PM
It's the old sunflower-type heaters you have to be careful with. Looking back, I now realize I almost killed myself a few times with one back in the eighties. If you feel tired/groggy and have a pounding headache, it's time to go outside.

Exactly the reason why I got rid of my sunflower and went with a Big Buddy. One day at Lac La Nonne I went thru the groggy and pounding headache but luckily went outside for fresh air and that was when I clued in.

Sundancefisher
01-08-2022, 06:22 PM
That's lawyer-speak. Really, I wouldn't even give it a second thought unless you were overnighting and using one for heat. In that case a CO detector is in order. Mine have never picked up an elevated reading while camping on the ice.

Used it today and it worked fine. Puts out a ton of heat. I’m thinking putting a small fan in the rafters would help spread heat around.

AlbertanGP
01-08-2022, 06:44 PM
Used it today and it worked fine. Puts out a ton of heat. I’m thinking putting a small fan in the rafters would help spread heat around.

I ordered this one (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08W487VGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for my Resort hub for camping, but tried it while out in my Resort flip today. I put it right above the Buddy heater and it was blowing really warm air. The two setting of the light are both useful. The three fan speeds also work well...the third one really moves air and the second one does a good job too. The best thing though, and the reason I ordered it, is that I can hard wire it to my power box while out camping. Anyways, based on my limited use today, I highly recommend this unit. It seems to cover all the bases. Not too big either, unlike the Mr. Heater battery-operated fan with the foam blades.

7magtime
01-11-2022, 05:53 PM
Essentially yes. The Acme nut (black plastic knurled knob) on that one is fancier than mine. I need a crescent wrench to tighten mine up. Keep in mind that both ends are threaded opposite. So when you tighten the 1lb bottle on, it will have a tendency to loosen the adapter from the tank. ;)

Basically, you want to get the bottles as cold as you can (outside for an hour in these temps or in a cold freezer otherwise) and the tank as warm as you can (just room temp in a warm shop is fine)..the temperature differential is what does the work so you don't have to mess with the pressure relief valve (which can easily render the bottle useless permanently via a slow leak). Once you have the bottle attached to the tank via the refill adapter be sure to tip the propane tank upside down. Now tip it a little bit to open the valve on the tank and you'll hear the bottle start filling. It will take a couple of minutes to fill, and you will hear a different noise right before it finishes. Once it's done you can put your ear by the bottle and you won't hear anything. Be sure to close the valve on the tank before disconnecting the bottle. I like to weigh mine with my fishing scale and some heavy mono tied in a loop on each end just to verify everything. Empty bottles weigh about 14 oz, so you should be around 1lb14oz when full. Honestly, I fill many to 2lb4oz or so and have never had a problem. Buyer beware with that though. ;)

If you're unsure of anything just post here or PM me. It's 1000% worth learning to do, as you get the convenience of the bottles with the cheap tank prices.

The adapter arrived and I followed your directions above, it worked slick filling the small bottles off a 20 lb tank.:sHa_shakeshout:
Filled five and had two already full so I should be good for a few trips.
Thanks again for your advice! :)

AlbertanGP
01-11-2022, 07:50 PM
The adapter arrived and I followed your directions above, it worked slick filling the small bottles off a 20 lb tank.:sHa_shakeshout:
Filled five and had two already full so I should be good for a few trips.
Thanks again for your advice! :)

:sSig_welcome2:

kevinhits
01-14-2022, 09:47 AM
Anyone notice the manuals says not to use indoors? I was surprised there is no O2 sensor however I also didn’t look first.

Keeping the air vent open in the tent along with all the gaps along the ice I would think it would be safe in a 6 person tent.

No o2 sensor but has a low oxygen automatic shut off, however i always have a detector as a solid back up. I also have a combination led and fan I bought from amazon that hangs on the top of my tent. Just trying to send some pics on tapatalk..

kevinhits
01-14-2022, 09:53 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220114/25c33e34c1ff0953c83838efe126fd0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinhits
01-14-2022, 09:54 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220114/2d266bcf0235bd12bb75f81571fb1b73.jpg

kevinhits
01-14-2022, 09:55 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220114/fab8eb094c687696ab092aeec601c32b.jpg

kevinhits
01-14-2022, 09:56 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220114/627d6ac0be36d39e306e8833639639e4.jpg

kevinhits
01-14-2022, 09:58 AM
Order this for $4.00 off
Of Amazon. Supposedly
Fits perfect on the big buddy for a grill and to set a stove top heat induced fan as per the next 2 pics.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220114/eb697f616b8aa8175b70d83a75a03597.jpg

kevinhits
01-14-2022, 09:59 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220114/651d6d231f47e6329d28a9506fe9a434.jpg

Poppa
01-14-2022, 02:50 PM
Order this for $4.00 off
Of Amazon. Supposedly
Fits perfect on the big buddy for a grill and to set a stove top heat induced fan as per the next 2 pics.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220114/eb697f616b8aa8175b70d83a75a03597.jpg

Thanks for this - wanted one and had no clue where to find it. Looking forward to finally doing smokies over the Buddy!! :)

AlbertanGP
01-14-2022, 03:00 PM
Order this for $4.00 off
Of Amazon. Supposedly

It fit's...I've seen it used. I use the Lakco grate (https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112130/lakco-heat-stream-cooking-grate) myself is it's more durable. When it's hot and you want to move/put it away, just throw it on the ice for a moment and it's good to go back in storage.

JohninAB
01-14-2022, 03:56 PM
Order this for $4.00 off
Of Amazon. Supposedly

My only comment is that is galvanized. Potentially not the best to cook on health wise.

I bought the following. Sperated the two halves, cut down and bent the handle and it works like a charm. Beauty is have a spare if needed.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-deluxe-broiler-0765668p.html?rrec=true#spc