PDA

View Full Version : Service dog

bezzola
12-28-2021, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have any experience with owning a service dog. My wife is thinking of helping other with stress and anxiety issues our Saint Bernard has helped her. I did some emails but have yet to get a response.

Sooner
12-28-2021, 10:02 AM
I know a friends daughter fosters/trains future service dogs. It is quite the training process. She has had a few great dogs not make the cut as the requirements are so tight.

If I am reading this right, your SB would have to "pass the test" so to speak to be one. That being said, my friends have a SB and that lovable goof would sure lighten up most peoples days and there is defiantly an avenue for that with visiting hospitals, nursing homes etc.

Hope you find the info your after.

urban rednek
12-28-2021, 11:06 AM
What you have described sounds more like a Therapy dog than a Service dog or Emotional Support dog. Best to be clear on these terms when speaking to professional agencies about it.
Therapy dogs can provide much needed comfort and cheer to people in institutional settings. (hospitals, nursing homes, hospices, etc.)
Know that Therapy dog work can have an emotional impact (+/-) on the handler as well as the people they are visiting.

bezzola
12-30-2021, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info. The wife and i are gathering info.

Dean2
12-30-2021, 09:34 AM
My only comment, and I have not been involved for about 20 years now, but there used to bee a ton of places in Edmonton that are involved in Therapy Dog programs as well as a bunch that claim to certify therapy dogs. NEVER pay anyone for a therapy dog certification. There are lots of places that will get the dog certified and have places to use them with no charges to you. I would start with the Humane Society, they used to have a Therapy Dog training program that was free, not sure if they still do.

mooseknuckle
12-30-2021, 10:41 AM
Friend has trained a few for a place called dogs with wings? Pretty sure that's the name. You could get in touch with them for information.