PDA

View Full Version : Ice thickness after this cold?

buckman
12-28-2021, 12:37 PM
Anyone been brave enough this past week?Just wondering about the lakes south of Calgary. Was around 11-12 inches week before Xmas.Wondering if my auger will be long enough now.

Reign_Man
12-28-2021, 01:36 PM
I too am patiently waiting for this info... I'm looking for ice thickness at Eagle Lake..

CNP
12-28-2021, 01:45 PM
I've never needed an extension in S AB and it's not the first time that it's been this cold. You'll be fine.

Jims83cj5
12-28-2021, 04:09 PM
I've never needed an extension in S AB and it's not the first time that it's been this cold. You'll be fine.

Ya, well said, it’s been over 40 years since I’ve seen 3 feet of ice in any lake south of read deer

ChillyPete
12-28-2021, 10:32 PM
I too am patiently waiting for this info... I'm looking for ice thickness at Eagle Lake..

I was at Eagle lake in Strathmore on the weekend of Dec 18th. Ice was 8in to 12in in places. Lots of people driving on the ice, I was waiting for someone to go through, but noone did.

MeYammy
12-29-2021, 03:35 PM
I checked out the south Chain Lakes today. 11” ish ice with about 6” snow cover. Stuck to the shore and walked out. I was expecting thicker ice after this cold. It’ll be a while before I’m driving around on that lake.

Reign_Man
12-29-2021, 07:41 PM
I was at Eagle lake in Strathmore on the weekend of Dec 18th. Ice was 8in to 12in in places. Lots of people driving on the ice, I was waiting for someone to go through, but noone did.

Thanks ChillyPete! Appreciate the update

ChillyPete
12-31-2021, 03:53 PM

No prob!
I was out on Eagle again today. I measured 20in of ice within ~150m of the boat launch.

AlbertanGP
12-31-2021, 08:00 PM
No prob!
I was out on Eagle again today. I measured 20in of ice within ~150m of the boat launch.

You guys have more ice down there than we have up here. How much snow is on your lakes?

ChillyPete
12-31-2021, 08:38 PM

Eagle has 0"-3". The little snow that's there has been blown around quite a bit.

AlbertanGP
12-31-2021, 10:38 PM
I figured as much. The snow up here is really hurting us for making good ice. It's a good thing we had a fair bit before the snow came. We're going to have lots of overflow when it warms up. :(

fisher69
01-01-2022, 02:50 AM
was about 10 inches at enchant on wednesday, finally got the heat fixed in my van so maybe going out to forty mile tomorrow im guessing its about the same there if not more by now.

Reign_Man
01-01-2022, 10:56 AM
Eagle has 0"-3". The little snow that's there has been blown around quite a bit.

I'll be there this afternoon. Thanks for the updates!

Reign_Man
01-04-2022, 01:29 PM
Hoping to go to Burnstick Lake later this week. Any ice thickness reports?

Penner
01-04-2022, 02:09 PM
Isle 15” (measured) on Saturday. Signs of flood water starting in some places.

Frank_NK28
01-04-2022, 03:00 PM
Th small lake I fish trout on had 12" good clear ice on Dec 19 with maybe two inches snow on top of the ice. Jan 2 I was fishing and was shocked to find only an extra 4" of ice. There was about 4" snow. Hard to believe with just that little extra snow cover how much it held back thickening up the ice after 10 days of -30 to -38 temps. Last years cold snap it doubled the thickness in a week with 2" snow cover. Huge difference.

Dewey Cox
01-04-2022, 05:06 PM
I worry that by the time this week is over all the lakes in the province will be frozen to the bottom.

SNAPFisher
01-04-2022, 06:47 PM
I worry that by the time this week is over all the lakes in the province will be frozen to the bottom.

No kidding hey. But, plus temps are on the way after this!
I've only ventured as far as Pigeon and north. Lots of ice already from what I've seen on all lakes I've hit. Crazy yoyo of a year though.

Reign_Man
01-06-2022, 11:01 PM
I was at Burnstick Lake today and set up 100 meters from shore off the boat launch. It was 14"-15"

FlyTheory
01-07-2022, 06:47 AM
16" at Fallis on Wabamun

Worm
01-07-2022, 06:56 AM
Anyone running into flood ice on Wab or Lac Ste Anne with all this snow? Hoping to finally make it out this weekend.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Soiler
01-07-2022, 07:01 AM
Pigeon has gotten another 4” of ice in the 8 days since I’d fished it last. Even with all of the snow out there.

CinBin247
01-07-2022, 07:56 AM
About foot of ice on Lac La Nonne, tons of snow though, everyone driving out, lots of vehicles close together, the ice was cracking like crazy, not sure if that's normal to crack that much lol

AlbertanGP
01-07-2022, 09:33 AM
About foot of ice on Lac La Nonne, tons of snow though, everyone driving out, lots of vehicles close together, the ice was cracking like crazy, not sure if that's normal to crack that much lol

It could be normal with this cold weather. It's still never a good idea to park vehicles close together on the ice for extended periods of time...especially on 12". But hey, someone has to provide the stories and entertainment for the rest of us. I guarantee Lac La Nonne isn't 12" *everywhere* under that snow. ;)

Reign_Man
01-07-2022, 02:00 PM
Anyone running into flood ice on Wab or Lac Ste Anne with all this snow? Hoping to finally make it out this weekend.

Hey all, I'm new to this ice fishing....What is "flood ice"?

Jamie Black R/T
01-07-2022, 02:24 PM
Hey all, I'm new to this ice fishing....What is "flood ice"?

Heavy snow pushes down on the ice sheet and water "floods" up through the cracks.

That water is insulated by the snow pack and just sits between the ice and snow.

You drive on and break through the snow down into the water. After you change your shorts you will be moving one 40lb shovel at a time to dig your truck free soaking yourself in the process.

Makes for a miserable existence...you should all just stay home :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Reign_Man
01-07-2022, 03:19 PM
Heavy snow pushes down on the ice sheet and water "floods" up through the cracks.

That water is insulated by the snow pack and just sits between the ice and snow.

You drive on and break through the snow down into the water. After you change your shorts you will be moving one 40lb shovel at a time to dig your truck free soaking yourself in the process.

Makes for a miserable existence...you should all just stay home :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Holy crap:scared0015: I did not know that. Thanks!!!

SNAPFisher
01-07-2022, 04:21 PM

That about sums up as bad as it can get.

On a skidoo, i ran into a huge flood water on Wolf Lake (NB1) like you have stated. After digging out just the friggin skidoo and sled I was pulling...I was done. Made it back to launch and left with tail between legs.

Worm
01-07-2022, 05:15 PM
About sums it up lol and why I asked. I also hate the wet feet that usually comes of it.

Sundancefisher
01-07-2022, 06:26 PM
It could be normal with this cold weather. It's still never a good idea to park vehicles close together on the ice for extended periods of time...especially on 12". But hey, someone has to provide the stories and entertainment for the rest of us. I guarantee Lac La Nonne isn't 12" *everywhere* under that snow. ;)

Yup. All that snow will create some lake stars and flood ice. Should eventually trap a few cars.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-stars/

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/J-Wettlaufer/publication/6162702_Star_patterns_on_lake_ice/links/0deec526b6eaaab9e6000000/Star-patterns-on-lake-ice.pdf?origin=publication_detail

eman
01-07-2022, 07:47 PM
i think this year ice is dangerous. anyone know how to find safe area ?

Fishin' Fool
01-07-2022, 07:51 PM
i think this year ice is dangerous. anyone know how to find safe area ?

why u think that?
:sign0161:

eman
01-07-2022, 08:09 PM
why u think that?
:sign0161:

i was fishing on the lake by myself yesterday. literally no one on the lake.its like -30 in the morning . 15'' ice coverd by 8'' snow . i hear ice cracking sound evry 3-5min. stayed 45min went home..

AlbertanGP
01-07-2022, 08:44 PM
Yup. All that snow will create some lake stars and flood ice. Should eventually trap a few cars.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-stars/

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/J-Wettlaufer/publication/6162702_Star_patterns_on_lake_ice/links/0deec526b6eaaab9e6000000/Star-patterns-on-lake-ice.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Thanks for the links. I've come across those and never really understood what they are. Still intuitively knew to give them a wide berth though. ;)

AlbertanGP
01-07-2022, 08:55 PM
i was fishing on the lake by myself yesterday. literally no one on the lake.its like -30 in the morning . 15'' ice coverd by 8'' snow . i hear ice cracking sound evry 3-5min. stayed 45min went home..

The colder it is, the more ice is going to be made. Thinner ice will add more faster, and thicker snow cover will slow it down. At -30*C (probably more like -40*C with the wind chill as of late) with 15" of ice and only 8" of snow, I would expect lots of cracking to be going on where you were at. Obviously it's more unnerving when you are out alone on the ice in the dark. BTDT.

Ice fish long enough and one day you'll hear a shotgun blast right on top of you and watch a 1" crack run between your feet. BTDT too.

anthony5
01-07-2022, 11:54 PM

I would be more concerned if the ice wasn't cracking in those temps, just normal ice making, spooky for sure, but normal.

rasta
01-08-2022, 07:58 AM
Lol that’s hilarious…I’ve read it’s real good fishing right after those loud cracks!!!

Soiler
01-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Was out on Thursday and Friday in the really cold stuff and it was noisy.
It always catches my attention when it cracks like that or when a wave echos down the ice but it takes a loud one to get me skittish anymore.
nothing like my wife noticing it… she makes a noise as well, every single time she hears it. Lol
Was nearby when a guy tried to drive his diesel across a small heave years ago and his tire dropped thru, everyone within 500 yds heard/felt that. Thankfully it was on a sand bar and he just needed a quick pull to get back out.

AlbertanGP
01-08-2022, 06:47 PM
Was nearby when a guy tried to drive his diesel across a small heave years ago and his tire dropped thru, everyone within 500 yds heard/felt that. Thankfully it was on a sand bar and he just needed a quick pull to get back out.

A quick pull and a fresh pair of underwear no doubt. :scared0018:

fish99
01-09-2022, 09:54 AM
Was out on Thursday and Friday in the really cold stuff and it was noisy.
It always catches my attention when it cracks like that or when a wave echos down the ice but it takes a loud one to get me skittish anymore.
nothing like my wife noticing it… she makes a noise as well, every single time she hears it. Lol

how thick is the ice enough for a 3/4 ton truck. thanks

AlbertanGP
01-09-2022, 12:30 PM
If I knew the ice was primo clear ice of uniform thickness throughout, I'd probably go out on 12" if others were around. The problem is, you never know and if I punch a hole and get 12" I assume it's less somewhere else. For me, I'd like to see 16" before I head out in a "big" truck. At 16", the ice doesn't have to be perfectly clear throughout it's depth and I know if it varies a few inches here and there I should still be safe. Basically, 16" gives me a fudge factor I'm comfortable with. I've had a few incidents in my life where I should have gone in. The Fishing Gods really smiled on me in retrospect. I figure it's time to give them a break. ;)

Lots of big diesels head out on 12" of ice. Most of them make it back...

SNAPFisher
01-09-2022, 02:17 PM
For Pigeon you should be looking at 17-18 inches now. It was 16-17 a week ago before the latest plunge. Lots of snow on the lake though.

Skabulon
01-09-2022, 02:33 PM
Anyone have any info on Calling Lake? I expect I can drive out there by now, wondering if there is lots of snow on the lake, or if anyone has come across any slushy spots?

Poppa
01-10-2022, 02:44 PM
More than 24" of solid black ice (the best stuff) on Newell and RHR yesterday. More people driving around in trucks and SUVs than I've ever seen in the past few years. Really slow bite all over though (for anything other than slough sharks...)

Fishin' Fool
01-12-2022, 06:25 PM
No measurements taken, but approximately a foot and a half of ice under a foot and a half of snow at Hanmore. No existing flood water, but it gets wet around holes.

Wondering if anyone has been to Skeleton. Specifically curious about snow cover and access on the NW side. TIA

Drewski Canuck
01-12-2022, 09:16 PM
18 inches of ice with about 1 foot of fluffy snow. Only problem is that there is alot of jumbled up ice and ice heaves on the east end of the lake from the freeze up. No flood ice encountered in front of the townsite.

Drewski