PDA

View Full Version : Grinding beef and pork

Savage Bacon
12-28-2021, 01:54 PM
Hey guys and gals.

I'm planning on grinding up a brisket and some pork tonight. I have a 1HP Cabelas #22 Carnivor grinder. I picked up some of the 1lb and 2lb bags and the little taping machine. I'm hoping to stuff the bags right from my grinder so I can avoid cleaning out my 5lb stuffer. (I wish I had a 20lb stuffer)

Should I use the coarse blade first, then mix everything up, then regrind and stuff using the fine blade?

Or will the fine blade make it too fine and mushy?

I'll use my stuffer if I have to. But is it just as easy to stuff with the adapter on my grinder?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Desert Eagle
12-28-2021, 02:08 PM
We start with the coarse and then re grind with the fine one.

We dont normally mix pork with our grind unless we are making sausage.

Savage Bacon
12-28-2021, 02:10 PM
I might keep the pork separate. It looks like there's a bit of decent fat on this brisket

-JR-
12-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Sounds like you know what you are doing ,go course then fine . Place everything in the freezer for 45 mins before grinding and that includes the grinder . Keep all your meat small no bigger than 1 1/2 inch cubes and don't push it in ,let the grinder do all the work . If you have to push it in the cubes are to big .

OpenSights
12-28-2021, 06:30 PM
Don't put your grinder in the freezer. Right on the Carnivore grinder it has a sticker about making sure its at room temp. Cause the oil in the little gearbox and it can cause failures in the gears if its too cold. The carnivore I have has a ice pack that wraps around the grinder to cool the throat down for grinding.

OpenSights
12-28-2021, 06:37 PM
Oh and sharpen your plate and blade. Set a piece of 220 sand paper on a flat surface. Run the plate and blade in a figure 8 motion while putting pressure down on them for 30 seconds or so. Then assemble the sharpened side together in the grinder.

For the meat like a brisket cut the meat into long strips that will fit down the throat of the grinder. The grinder will just pull them in and no need to cube it all up.

If sharpened good I run my meat right through the 1/8 plate as those carnivore grinders have a ton of power to cut properly if sharp.

alder
12-28-2021, 07:25 PM
I just used my Cabelas carnivore 1HP to stuff sausages. It was painfully slow. I wished I had a stuffed.

I also went coarse then fine.

pikergolf
12-28-2021, 07:32 PM
Never put my grinder parts in the freezer. I cube and put my meat in the freezer until it is half frozen. Never had a problem with anything warming up. Coarse then fine plate.

Savage Bacon
12-28-2021, 08:30 PM
I got my brisket all cubed up. I went and got a few more pork picnics. I think I'll grind and freeze the brisket, and then make some breakfast sausage with the pork. But that is a job for tomorrow morning.

HyperMOA
12-28-2021, 08:36 PM
I use the big sausage horn that came with my grinder and fill the poly bags directly out of my grinder. Very easy and clean especially if you have the foot pedal. Just like sausage casing just hold some back pressure on the bag and stuff it.

Savage Bacon
12-28-2021, 08:45 PM
I use the big sausage horn that came with my grinder and fill the poly bags directly out of my grinder. Very easy and clean especially if you have the foot pedal. Just like sausage casing just hold some back pressure on the bag and stuff it.I'll try that one. I wasn't sure if it would be too big or not. I do have the foot pedal. I was contemplating getting another one as they're on sale at cabelas. I use it when I'm brewing my beer too.

JULIUS
12-29-2021, 07:59 AM
I have the 1hp cabelas grinder and have done probable 10 or more moose or elk with it.. As mentioned it is easy to stuff the bags with it using the large tube directly from the grinder. However I find it difficult to go from the grinder directly to stuffing sausage. I grind then mix and use a 10 lb vertical stuffer to fill my casings. even better I attached a patty maker to my stuffer and make sausage burgers. the family loves them. I would caution against mixing the pork and beef ( venison) together and then freezing. The pork does not in my experience last as long in the freeezer. I went to help a fellow a few years ago that brought out 10 pounds of pork and elk he had mixed. It had gone bad from the pork.
The above advice about putting the meat in the freezer for a while is great idea. I keep the meat as cold as possible and when grinding from the course to the fine grind try to cool the meat again before going to the fine grind as it gets messy after the first grind if it has warmed up. Do not always have the time for that second cooling though.

As far as what size to grind that will require practice to meet your own needs. some people want some course for things like chilli and personally I like my sausage fine ground.

In any event have fun and food you make yourself is always great.

Savage Bacon
12-29-2021, 04:09 PM
I ground up the brisket so far. I left out at least a couple of lbs of fat. But there's still lots. I'm thinking 30%. I'll just use this for burgers so they should be nice and juicy. I ended up with 15.5 lbs ground. I stuffed it using the grinder which worked out ok. But I think I'll invest in a 20 lb stuffer sometime in the near future. My 2 lb bags all weighed in at 2.75 lbs so I won't stuff them as much next time. And I have almost 2 lbs left for burgers tonight. I think I paid $106 for the brisket. So my ground is around $6.80/lb.

I cleaned everything up. Now I'm going to smoke a doobie and a cigar and then get my pork ground up. I have 5 picnics so I'll package some ground to freeze. I like mixing pork with beef in my spaghetti sauce. I like the kind of saltier taste. I'm going to try the cabelas maple breakfast sausage kit. My friend said he tried it but it was pretty weak. I wonder if I should use just 20 lbs instead of the recommended 25 lbs?

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211229/6e562371a9e77b3046b02c2f80a7ca42.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211229/ac148aef46de05c3e510b5d553d055ed.jpg

bucksnbears
12-29-2021, 06:55 PM
Enjoy the Doobie!:bad_boys_20:

I use pallet wrap for my meat.
SO MUCH BETTER than plastic tubes/freezer paper!

Savage Bacon
12-29-2021, 07:48 PM

SO MUCH BETTER than plastic tubes/freezer paper!Oh I did [emoji28]

Like the shrink wrap? I've got rolls of that stuff

HyperMOA
12-30-2021, 12:06 AM
In my experience grinding right into the bags is faster and much less clean-up afterwards than using my stuffer. You’re pushing it through the same size horn after all. The weight thing you will get used to where you need to stuff to for weight.

The sausage will likely be stronger, but your cure will be that much more concentrated too. I don’t think that matters, but don’t hold my opinion as true. Not too sure that too much cure will cause any immediate health effects. I’d just add extra maple syrup and spices to the 25 lbs personally. I’ve never found a kit I don’t modify yet.

204ruger
12-30-2021, 07:40 AM

SO MUCH BETTER than plastic tubes/freezer paper!

Interested in this I have rolls of the stuff. You just wrap your ground or whole cuts in the pallet shrink wrap stuff almost like you’d wrap a sandwich in cling wrap?

-JR-
12-30-2021, 10:01 AM
Not sure how your grinder is assembled ,but only place the forward parts in the freezer not the whole assembly that has the motor etc. Just the parts that touch the meat so to keep the heat down .

HyperMOA
12-30-2021, 11:56 AM
Hey savage bacon, I noticed you have collagen casing in your pictures. Personally, I can’t stand the stuff. The problem was that most butcher supply places only sold casing in huge quantities so it was a pain to make small batches with fresh casings. I recently found that halford hides sells little ziploc bags of natural casing that does say 20-25 pounds of sausage. It would be very handy for a small quantity of sausage. Just an FYI.

That is an Edmonton source but I’m betting other places in the south can get the same stuff; just not sure where.

Savage Bacon
12-30-2021, 12:09 PM
Hey savage bacon, I noticed you have collagen casing in your pictures. Personally, I can’t stand the stuff. The problem was that most butcher supply places only sold casing in huge quantities so it was a pain to make small batches with fresh casings. I recently found that halford hides sells little ziploc bags of natural casing that does say 20-25 pounds of sausage. It would be very handy for a small quantity of sausage. Just an FYI.

That is an Edmonton source but I’m betting other places in the south can get the same stuff; just not sure where.I was just in dnr in Calgary the other day I should have picked some up. I've picked them up there before.

Do you add syrup to your meat? Or just when cooking? I think I'll use somewhere between 20-25 lbs. I didn't get my pork cubed up until around midnight. So I'll be doing the grinding today.

I have just the grinding assembly, and gel collar freezing. It's convenient being so cold outside. I use the side step as my freezer. I have 3 pork shoulder bones I'm saving for the puppy vacuum sealed and frozen in my bbq lol.

HyperMOA
12-30-2021, 07:45 PM
When we make maple sausage I use about a liter of syrup to 25-30 lbs of sausage. I just cut back the water a bit while mixing the sausage. I mix all the seasoning and cure together then add the water and syrup and get it stirred well then slowly incorporate it into the meat as it mixes.

220 Swift
12-31-2021, 08:24 AM
Use the 2" stuffing tube and the foot pedal it's amazing how fast you can bag by yourself with this setup
I ground it up twice

Savage Bacon
12-31-2021, 05:58 PM
Sausage party!

25 lbs of maple breakfast sausage. I hope it's good.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220101/599d9076d9f47b33b214cf1999634d23.jpg

HyperMOA
12-31-2021, 07:42 PM
Did you stuff all that sausage without cooking up a patty first? You have to cook some to know if it needs adjustment before stuffing. You should be telling us how good it is, not hoping it’s good!!! 😀

I’m sure you’re gonna enjoy it.

Savage Bacon
12-31-2021, 08:12 PM
Did you stuff all that sausage without cooking up a patty first? You have to cook some to know if it needs adjustment before stuffing. You should be telling us how good it is, not hoping it’s good!!! 😀

I’m sure you’re gonna enjoy it.I made a couple patties last night when I mixed everything up. And I had them this morning with some over easy eggs. They were good. We'll have some tomorrow morning too. I was home by myself today so I'll see what the little one and the boss think of them tomorrow. I just added the flavoring from the kit, plus just over a half litre of maple syrup.

I'll eat just about anything so I need a second opinion lol.

Savage Bacon
01-01-2022, 12:40 PM
6 thumbs up. Winner winner maple sausage dinner.

Thanks everyone for your help and tips.

HyperMOA
01-01-2022, 01:31 PM
Good for you!!! Write down what you did and what you used. Next time adjust the syrup as you feel the need. Add some garlic or sage or something. When I have a recipe I like I make a batch then reserve 3 pounds or so and add some other spices to see if I can improve my favourites. I also use fine bread crumbs in my sausage. I feel they hold fat and moisture in the sausage during cooking.