PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather dog door

graham1
12-28-2021, 04:16 PM
Hello, I have had a couple of the regular dog doors that break off in the cold.
I see one option online, but they want over $600 for an extra large.
My boy is in the house most of the time and overnight. Nice for him to hang out in the garage when I’m gone though.

Any suggestions for something that will stand up to the cold?

Thanks

Arty
12-28-2021, 04:47 PM
I think the tough part is having a little door that works both inwards and outwards, as well as keeping some form of weathertight seal so that cold air doesn't flood the room.

Maybe have a chain of a series of plexiglas plates embedded in frames and pinned at the center of each edge with a two-way hinge. Brush-type seals on the sides and bottom. Heavy enough to push and seal against each brush, but not so heavy to discourage the animal. Maybe with a short dog hallway or 'porch' to permit two sets of doors to be used and reduce heat loss from the building.

Otherwise, maybe solid sliding door up or sideways, with a motion sensor and electric motor with appropriate lockouts might work, sort of like a car wash door.

Sooner
12-28-2021, 04:50 PM
I just used old carpet and made a bunch of 1 inch strips long enough to go to the concrete and screwed them to the wood above the hole in the garage wall. My 2 GSP's would come and go at will and it blocked out the cold temps and wind quite nice.

Grizzly Adams1
12-28-2021, 06:05 PM
Replace the flap with plexiglass ? Guys that make these things think in California terms unfortunately.

Grizz

graham1
12-29-2021, 01:19 PM
I might try the strips of carpet idea.

The flap isn’t generally what breaks. It’s the frame/hinge that can’t take the cold.
I’ll ponder on it.
Thanks

traderal
12-29-2021, 01:43 PM
We have 7 pet doors. We started with single flap PetSafe doors and they were good until they changed the quality and method of hanging, then they were like a wet noodle. so we changed a few to the expensive Endura double flap and they work great. Went directly to the manufacturer to get just the flaps and in process of converting the PetSafe frames to work with the Endura flaps. No one in Alberta seems to have the large Enduras in stock and yes to bring them in through a pet supply will cost about 600 or more. If you are locating this in your garage then maybe a carpet flap as mentioned in a previous post might be ok for you. I modify secondary screen doors or garden doors to accommodate the pet doors, that way I can close the main doors as necessary. Our entire yard of about 2 acres is fenced in and the dogs always have at least one dog door to exit at night. They also have a large closed in porch with pet door exits where they can get away from insects in summer.