PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Baits

RedHeadedFisherman
09-04-2009, 11:32 PM
was thinking of trying out some rattle baits,.. but before i spend my pennys,.. i thought i'd ask the pepole in the know. ( good guys n gals on here) for there opinions :D

:wave:

Geezle
09-05-2009, 05:33 AM
was thinking of trying out some rattle baits,.. but before i spend my pennys,.. i thought i'd ask the pepole in the know. ( good guys n gals on here) for there opinions :D

:wave:
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread myself...yesterday I almost picked up a couple rattling spoons, but I just wasn't quite sure about them. I think the ones I was looking at were made by Blue Fox.

dodger
09-05-2009, 06:10 AM
I have doubled my Pike action by using the Rattlin Rap. Yesterday when the wind was blowing down South in the a.m. I actually caught 3 large Walleye on the Rattlin Rap which was a first. I was a little hesitant to spend the bucks on them but now it is irrelevant due to the action the produce, they are the crack of the Pike world.
Dodger.

DarkAisling
09-05-2009, 07:49 AM
I've got two Rattlin Rap's. I think one is "Perch" and the other is silver and blue. They're the ones in the attached picture (not my picture . . . found it on the 'net).

I've had no luck with either of them, but I haven't used them much: maybe 10 casts each? A few people have said they're good for pike, so I think it must be me. :o

RedHeadedFisherman
09-05-2009, 08:06 AM
was looking at something like this,..a Strike King® Jig & Tube Rattle can hook it on the hook and stick it down a smelt's mouth L)

look here too
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SportingGoods_All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FUs erSearch%253Drattle_10151_-1_10001_navbar_prev_S____false_25___2

dodger
09-05-2009, 02:49 PM
They may be a little heavy if you plan on doing a lot of casting, but there great for trolling.
Dodger.

Geezle
09-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I have doubled my Pike action by using the Rattlin Rap. Yesterday when the wind was blowing down South in the a.m. I actually caught 3 large Walleye on the Rattlin Rap which was a first. I was a little hesitant to spend the bucks on them but now it is irrelevant due to the action the produce, they are the crack of the Pike world.
Dodger.

Actually I had a silver Rattlin Rap back in the day and I recall having a fair bit of success with the pike on it. I wonder if my dad still has all my old gear, or if it's made its way into his tackle box by now :lol:

Still curious about other rattling lures though...particularly the spoons and if the rattle has any effect on the action of the spoon.

Fantastic
09-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I've got two Rattlin Rap's. I think one is "Perch" and the other is silver and blue. They're the ones in the attached picture (not my picture . . . found it on the 'net).

I've had no luck with either of them, but I haven't used them much: maybe 10 casts each? A few people have said they're good for pike, so I think it must be me. :o

lol yes Dark those work great on pike. I have a couple perch colored ones with some orange on their bellies and another darker silver one, they work great.
I've caught over 20 or 30 pike this year alone just with those.

DarkAisling
09-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Actually, I was wrong. The green one is "Little Bass." Looks a lot like the perch in my freezer, though.

Maybe I'll play with them at bit more seriously this weekend. I think the problem is that I've never seen anyone catch anything with them. For some reason, once I've seen something work, it works for me too.

Cal
09-05-2009, 05:56 PM
The cotton cordell ones are good as well and a little cheaper. They work great casting and trolling but are also deadly when jigged verticaly, through the ice or otherwise. Most of the pike I catch in the winter are caught on a rattling rapala.

dodger
09-05-2009, 07:16 PM
My best Rap is a Whitefish pattern. It is so chewed up there is gouges and protruding plastic shards and is just beaten to cra# and still catches fish. My buddy's favorite is a Perch pattern and it actually had a monster Pike bust a hole in the body and you can see the steel balls and it STILL catches fish :eek:.
Dodger.

RedHeadedFisherman
09-05-2009, 10:05 PM
They may be a little heavy if you plan on doing a lot of casting, but there great for trolling.
Dodger.

LOL!! im used to casting 1/2oz to 3oz weights >)) was at PCR today, 3 guys on south end of the dock NO WEIGHTS at all wind to the north,,= every second cast thet crossed me or themselves.. very fustrating to say the least.. i always cast straight out and stay where i plop!:evilgrin::D lol