PDA

View Full Version : My principles cost me a beauty rifle today…

Positrac
12-29-2021, 05:46 PM
So, I’ve been looking for another Sako in 338 Federal since selling a GreyWolf quite a few years back. Today a new in the box Sako 85 stainless in 338 Federal came up on CGN. It was literally listed a minute before I was sending the seller a PM and it only had the 1 view. He wanted $1,700 for it which was within reason since it was new in the box and had unmourned ring mounts with it. I was ready to say I’ll take it when he mentioned he was in of all places…
Kabec!!

Well, I guess I’ll have to keep looking. Sometimes having principles really hurts…

Twisted Canuck
12-29-2021, 05:49 PM
Oh man.......that's a wicked good price for a stainless. And they don't come up in .338 federal very often. I respect your principle on it though. That's partly why I am having one built. So hard to find.

Jerry D
12-29-2021, 05:53 PM
The guy has 92 purchases or sales all with 100% positive feedback.

That’s too bad.

I like the finnlight 2 but for an extra couple thousand, I had mine built as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trochu
12-29-2021, 06:05 PM
Good for you. Gotta be careful with them, it's like Nigeria/Quebec, 50/50.

Positrac
12-29-2021, 06:18 PM
The guy has 92 purchases or sales all with 100% positive feedback.

That’s too bad.

Ya, I saw the positive feedback rating he has and wasn’t concerned with doing the deal until he said he was in Kabec! Even if I could have hid that fact from my wife and pretty much everyone who knows me…I still wouldn’t have been able to look at myself in the mirror…

Flippin’ principles….

marky_mark
12-29-2021, 06:21 PM
Tabernack

Phil McCracken
12-29-2021, 06:31 PM
Not too smart. Who cares where it's from...:snapoutofit:

Jerry D
12-29-2021, 06:34 PM
Send me $1750 and it can detour through Ontario on its way if that’s any better

If you get scammed by me it’s cause I got scammed by the seller!

It’s an awesome looking rifle either way and the .338 fed has always interested me as well!

Positrac

We’ll, you can Phil yer crackin with a big bowl of poutine for all I care…🤓

Ken07AOVette
One could say your intuition saved you $1700

It's all perspective

freeride
12-29-2021, 06:37 PM
Ya, I saw the positive feedback rating he has and wasn’t concerned with doing the deal until he said he was in Kabec! Even if I could have hid that fact from my wife and pretty much everyone who knows me…I still wouldn’t have been able to look at myself in the mirror…

Flippin’ principles….

With his 92 trades and 100% feedback, is it principles or just plain old bias/prejudices

hal53
12-29-2021, 06:39 PM
We’ll, you can Phil yer crackin with a big bowl of poutine for all I care…🤓 :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

58thecat
12-29-2021, 06:49 PM

Yup!

58thecat
12-29-2021, 06:50 PM

Ohhh my now the thought of a good dish just went out the door!

Dam you positrac!

heybert
12-29-2021, 06:51 PM
Tempted by it, but I already have a Tikka in 338 Federal that has served me well in the last few years. Also not a big fan of the 85's.

Phil McCracken
12-29-2021, 06:52 PM

Must admit...good one...:)

But still your loss...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Talking moose
12-29-2021, 07:12 PM
I’m confused here… lol
You didn’t buy it for fear of scam? Or you didn’t buy it because it goes against your principals of something to do with quebecers?

Positrac
With his 92 trades and 100% feedback, is it principles or just plain old bias/prejudices

I choose to call them principles…lol.

WV911
So according to you, everyone from Quebec is bad?
Everyone from Quebec hates Alberta?
Ontario is the land of the liberal devil and Stoeger is the distributor of Tikka and Sako and located in Ontario so by your logic you better not buy a Sako.

Positrac
12-29-2021, 07:13 PM
I’m confused here… lol
You didn’t buy it for fear of scam? Or you didn’t buy it because it goes against your principals of something to do with quebecers?

No fear of a scam. The seller is solid.

Positrac
12-29-2021, 07:20 PM
So according to you, everyone from Quebec is bad?
Everyone from Quebec hates Alberta?
Ontario is the land of the liberal devil and Stoeger is the distributor of Tikka and Sako and located in Ontario so by your logic you better not buy a Sako.

I’ve got no problem with the people from Kabec, it’s the ones still there that I’m not buying anything from.

I guess that is a prejudice/bias after all. How will I ever sleep tonight…?

waldedw
12-29-2021, 07:29 PM
Well I'll tell you I'm a fan of federal top gun ammunition and I have shot close to 30 thousand of them, but this summer we could not get any, or Winchester or Remington or Score so we ended up shooting challenger, Quebec or not it was that or don't shoot anything for practice, I still have enough Federal and Remington to shoot my registered targets for this summer unless I shoot them in practice also.

I still have a few cases of challenger they shot well and got me through the summer, I have already called Score in Manitoba and they do not plan to do a run of target loads in 2022, Federal still has not delivered the rest of our 2020 order so I'm not holding my breath, Winchester has had 2 price increases and has not delivered 2021 orders yet so it looks like another summer of shooting challenger for all my practice 2,500 or so, no problem after all they are still Canadian made even if the money goes to Quebec, sometimes you just have to swallow your pride if you want something bad enough IMHO.

Phil McCracken
12-29-2021, 07:30 PM
I’ve got no problem with the people from Kabec, it’s the ones still there that I’m not buying anything from.

Well maybe next time don't post these?

Then you won't get slammed.

Have a good sleep my friend...:)

freeride
12-29-2021, 07:36 PM

Peacefully on a mattress with $1700 under it still. Lol

58thecat
12-29-2021, 07:50 PM
Peacefully on a mattress with $1700 under it still. Lol

Lumpy bed!

liketoshoot
12-29-2021, 08:16 PM
Good for you, Hope you have china on that same list

Cheers

cody j
12-29-2021, 08:18 PM
Who cares what anyone thinks, if you had got scammed, everyone would say why did you buy from Quebec?

catnthehat
12-29-2021, 08:19 PM
Many people will not deal with guns that are in Quebec simply because of their Provinvial registry .:thinking-006:
Cat

Jerry D
12-29-2021, 08:32 PM
What happens in the registry when the gun leaves the province?

Dewey Cox
12-29-2021, 08:46 PM
There are very few opportunities for an Albertan to choose whether or not to send money to quebec.
I don't think the quebecers will lose sleep over finding out Albertans would rather not deal there.
They have never given us any reason to believe they respect us in any way.

Outbound
12-29-2021, 08:56 PM
There are very few opportunities for an Albertan to choose whether or not to send money to quebec.
I don't think the quebecers will lose sleep over finding out Albertans would rather not deal there.

I also avoid dealing with Quebecers. If wanting to keep what money I can in the hands of Western canadians makes me a bigot, so be it. Quebec sure as hell doesn't care about Alberta.

Ken07AOVette
12-29-2021, 08:58 PM

I had an excellent experience dealing with a Quebeccer, on the phone he promised to hold his boat for me while I made the drive, took me for a lengthy test ride, went to his mechanic for issues we found, was very pleasant and accommodating.

I would do that trip again in a heartbeat if I could deal with someone like him again.

edit- only hangup at all was the powerhungry border guard on the you-all side that threatened to seize the very big certified cheque made out to the boat owner, because I did not immediately say I had it when I was asked how much cash I had on hand. I had print outs of the kijiji ad, texts and emails printed showing the conversation, all the backup possible.
'how do I know you aren't buying drugs and guns'? he asked, I said while you are in there checking me out take a look at my criminal record, there isn't one. I said not everyone is a criminal, believe it or not. What a richard he was.

I just bought a nice 3d printer from another guy there, again positive start to end.

catnthehat
12-29-2021, 09:01 PM
What happens in the registry when the gun leaves the province?

Apparently the seller calls the registry and says he sold it out of Province .
I am not sure if they ask for the PAL, address, etc. Of :mad0030:thd buyer.
Cat

calgarychef
12-29-2021, 09:05 PM
I’ve turned down buying items made in Quebec.

Jerry D
12-29-2021, 09:13 PM
I don’t have anything bad to say about people in Quebec either.

I would assume the gun owners in Quebec would have the most in common with us.

Anyone who owns a Fierce rifle. Guess what. Made in Quebec. Can you believe it!?

hilt134
12-29-2021, 09:44 PM

You won’t buy things from people that live somewhere largely based on family ties, language, and a connection to the land and history? To each his own but don’t cut your nose just to spite your face.

schreyer
12-29-2021, 09:52 PM

Anyone who owns a Fierce rifle. Guess what. Made in Quebec. Can you believe it!?

Same goes for Cadex as well…

brewster29
12-29-2021, 10:00 PM
Tempted by it, but I already have a Tikka in 338 Federal that has served me well in the last few years. Also not a big fan of the 85's.

There's a stainless one on Townpost as we speak, and it's in St Albert...
Price looks a bit high but I am sure you could haggle

Albertacoyotecaller
12-29-2021, 10:21 PM
So, I’ve been looking for another Sako in 338 Federal since selling a GreyWolf quite a few years back. Today a new in the box Sako 85 stainless in 338 Federal came up on CGN. It was literally listed a minute before I was sending the seller a PM and it only had the 1 view. He wanted $1,700 for it which was within reason since it was new in the box and had unmourned ring mounts with it. I was ready to say I’ll take it when he mentioned he was in of all places…
Kabec!!

Well, I guess I’ll have to keep looking. Sometimes having principles really hurts…

Good on you OP. I am cut from the same cloth. Bought two new Polaris sleds this year. Do I like Skidoo sleds. Yep they make a better product. Do I like the local Skidoo retailer better, yep. But like hell will i support a company that has been subsidized over the years and that benefits anything to do with that province.

Albertacoyotecaller
12-29-2021, 10:22 PM
You won’t buy things from people that live somewhere largely based on family ties, language, and a connection to the land and history? To each his own but don’t cut your nose just to spite your face.

To each their own but Quebec hasn't had a nose on its face for years.

Bushleague
12-29-2021, 10:26 PM
Kabec!!

Well, it sure beats losing your principles over a nice rifle. Or even worse, because the government told you to be really scared.

nelsonob1
12-29-2021, 10:26 PM
Maybe I am not understanding this but is it that your looking for a pat on the back because you didn't buy a quality rifle made in Finland from a regarded seller who happens to live in Quebec?

Really?

Well done, that shows them! If only more Canadians had such moral fortitude.

jetboat175
12-29-2021, 10:32 PM
Good on you for not buying it, I would not deal with those Kabecers either.

WV911
12-29-2021, 11:08 PM
Some of this anti Quebec hate coming from some people who voted for the PPC.
Guess where the leader is from?

HunterDave
12-29-2021, 11:14 PM
Sometimes I read things on the internet and I can’t help but wonder......

Who ties these peoples shoes for them in the morning? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

kujoseto
12-29-2021, 11:14 PM
I’m confused here… lol

I thought it may have been because Quebec has a long gun registry and if you buy from there you’ll be on the list as the new owner.
:confused::confused0024:

Edit:I kinda thought people would be Rippin on the 338 Fed by now more than the Kabec thing lol

Smokinyotes
12-29-2021, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=kujoseto;4463073]I thought it may have been because Quebec has a long gun registry and if you buy from there you’ll be on the list as the new owner.

This is the exact reason why I wouldn’t buy a rifle from Kabec.

JD848
12-29-2021, 11:45 PM
Good for you. Gotta be careful with them, it's like Nigeria/Quebec, 50/50.

GET real ,Nigeria. Grow the hell up.

JD

JD848
12-29-2021, 11:50 PM
Sometimes I read things on the internet and I can’t help but wonder......

Who ties these peoples shoes for them in the morning? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You hit the nail on the head Dave , for years a very large amount of rifles were all ordered through kabec distributors , didn't Alberta have a few bad fires and forces were sent from there to help from kabec. Plus i would be ashamed to put up a story about a solid good guy about his sale and article .

If you don't like buying firearms from there no problem, but don't single the guy out with his sale and a site your a member of, not cool. Has nothing to do with kabec doing this.

JD

waldedw
12-30-2021, 02:48 AM
I would love to read the thread the OP would have started if he was as gung ho as he said he was about buying this gun and had made the deal and was ready to initiate an EMT and the guy selling said OH crap your from Alberta no sorry I'm not selling anything to someone from Alberta the deal is off buddy.

Then the guy would post a thread on a public forum saying man can you believe it I had a guy from Alberta trying to buy a gun from me, what's up with that crap, no way man, I have principles. :thinking-006:

There is a big difference between principles and prejudice .... just saying

Positrac
12-30-2021, 05:25 AM
I won’t knowingly buy anything out of Quebec but I’ve already made that known not only on this thread but many others for quite some time. My decision is not made out of an actual hate for Quebec or any of its people. Certainly not the guy selling the gun or any of the people I’ve met and know who come from Quebec. The registry is a part of it but the majority of my reason for choosing to not spend any money in Quebec is the fact a great deal of the people living there have a superiority complex and think they’re better than the rest of Canada. Some might forget but they actually had a vote there on whether they should separate from the rest of Canada and it was voted down by about 1% with over 90% voter turnout. It’s pretty safe to say that close to half of Quebec does not want to be part of Canada. I could add in the equalization payment debacle or the fact Quebec as a whole couldn’t care less about anything west of them but the anti-Canada sentiment in the province is enough for me to choose to not spend any of my hard-earned money there if I can help it.

dgl1948
12-30-2021, 05:36 AM

Fierce is moving to the states.

elkhunter11
12-30-2021, 06:08 AM
GET real ,Nigeria. Grow the hell up.

JD

If you look at the online sites for firearms sales, most of the scammers come from Quebec, just like most other scams are from Nigeria, so yes, the comparison is easy to understand.

Aside from the risk of a scam, I try to avoid dealing with anyone from Quebec, private or business, because Quebec not only won't allow pipelines to sell our oil to the East, in fact they outright condemn our industry, and of course they already get a lot of our money in transfer payments. If Quebec supported the west by purchasing our products, instead of condemning them, I would gladly support them.

Jerry D
12-30-2021, 06:11 AM
I agree with the whole separatist thing and lack of support and whatnot.

But I figure we have the most in common with gun enthusiasts and to hold all the politics over a simple personal transaction to me is a little extreme but your money is your money.

trapperdodge
12-30-2021, 12:04 PM
My old Mom had a lifelong boycott of all things quebec. I carry on with it.

Their premier said he didn't want any of our dirty oil. He likes the money it produces tho.

You made the right call

JD848
12-30-2021, 12:07 PM
If you look at the online sites for firearms sales, most of the scammers come from Quebec, just like most other scams are from Nigeria, so yes, the comparison is easy to understand.

Aside from the risk of a scam, I try to avoid dealing with anyone from Quebec, private or business, because Quebec not only won't allow pipelines to sell our oil to the East, in fact they outright condemn our industry, and of course they already get a lot of our money in transfer payments. If Quebec supported the west by purchasing our products, instead of condemning them, I would gladly support them.

Politically I know all about how kabec treats the west and I dislike it as much as you . You say you put all your firearms at Clay's or under consignment ,so how many deals went south with you online . You get me solid stuff about your statement asap . Just like you painted all us east of SASk that we all out after ALBERTA . About as big a lie as I could think of and I did let you know my thoughts on it .

I've met 7 scammers in my life because I don't buy and sell like you . 2 in BC 2 in Alberta ,one in Manitoba and yes 2 from Kabec .Only one was a Canadian out of the bunch and the RCMP went to his home in Alberta to talk with him and not a member of this site .The rest had all stolen ID's and pal's and lived somewhere else like Nigeria

Kabec has big population and yes there are scammers who acquire false id's who are mostly others from other aera's like Nigeria and yes there are crooks in Kabec also, prove to me this guys was. I only have dealt with reloader x because he has more stuff that is hard to fine, excellent store and found out about them by members on this site that use that business .

I just didn't care for singling out one person that's it that's all and painting him like the others isn't right ,he is not scammer and is a very sold guy as the OP says.

Cheers
JD

sns2
12-30-2021, 12:24 PM
I fail to see why people feel they should criticize the OP for a stand he has taken. Quebec politicians are consistently anti-Alberta 100% of the time I can see. Must be a popular sentiment in that province. Close to half of the residents have made it known they no longer want to be a part of us.

I for one, sure as hell won’t be criticizing a man for sticking to his personal guns.

I don’t recall him saying that it was going to hurt the seller or the province, just that was his personal position.

Just about every reg on this site has no-go lines, and from time to time, they write about them. It is pretty obvious that there are good people in Quebec, as there undoubtedly are in China, but it doesn’t change the fact that they actively try and hurt Alberta’s economy at every chance, but at the same time take our equalization like drug addicts grab their next hit.

Positrac, whether or not your decision makes sense, good on you for standing on your principles. At least you have some.

catnthehat
12-30-2021, 12:30 PM
I bought a rifle from a fella in Quebec on CGN, but he had a big trader rating with many CGN members I know well.
Really nice guy and about as pizzed off as we are with the politicians in Quebec .
I would gladly deal with him that I would some Albertans that are on this forum, " just on general principals"
Positrac has principals , they are his, and he has them for a reason.
Cat

Trochu
12-30-2021, 12:38 PM
......the comparison is easy to understand.

Apparently not my friend...

Trochu
12-30-2021, 12:39 PM
I fail to see why people feel they should criticize the OP for a stand he has taken. Quebec politicians are consistently anti-Alberta 100% of the time I can see.

x2

elkhunter11
12-30-2021, 12:41 PM
Politically I know all about how kabec treats the west and I dislike it as much as you . You say you put all your firearms at Clay's or under consignment ,so how many deals went south with you online . You get me solid stuff about your statement asap . Just like you painted all us east of SASk that we all out after ALBERTA . About as big a lie as I could think of and I did let you know my thoughts on it .

I've met 7 scammers in my life because I don't buy and sell like you . 2 in BC 2 in Alberta ,one in Manitoba and yes 2 from Kabec .Only one was a Canadian out of the bunch and the RCMP went to his home in Alberta to talk with him and not a member of this site .The rest had all stolen ID's and pal's and lived somewhere else like Nigeria

Kabec has big population and yes there are scammers who acquire false id's who are mostly others from other aera's like Nigeria and yes there are crooks in Kabec also, prove to me this guys was. I only have dealt with reloader x because he has more stuff that is hard to fine, excellent store and found out about them by members on this site that use that business .

I just didn't care for singling out one person that's it that's all and painting him like the others isn't right ,he is not scammer and is a very sold guy as the OP says.

Cheers
JD

I sold well over 100 firearms myself , and bought many online as well, but I switched to taking them to Prophet River, because I don't have to deal with the tire kickers or picture collectors, I don't have to do any shipping, Prophet River gets as much or more than I would for a firearm ,because it gets more exposure with them, people seem more willing to pay more to a big store with a reputation, and if I take store credit, I don't pay a consignment fee. So it really makes no sense for me to advertise online at this point, given that I travel through Lloydminster monthly anyways.
I do know of several scammers being exposed on CGN, and on the Canadian versions on Gunbroker and a good percentage are from Quebec. I actually reported a few myself, that turned out be be scammers. Likely it's the same few scammers that keep reappearing under different names to scam people after they get banned, but at this point, I don't feel as comfortable sending money to a private Quebec address.
As to central and eastern Canada, they keep electing an anti Alberta government, knowing full well that it hurts Alberta and Canada as well, and most of those provinces are happy to take transfer payments, that are paid for primarily by Alberta. Some of those provinces even go as far as to condemn our province and our industry, so no, I feel no obligation to support them in any way.

JD848
12-30-2021, 01:05 PM
Positrac is very decent guy and has always been decent to me, sending money out east on his part I can totally understand . To center out the owner and firearm on which site to who was a good solid guy is all I disagree with .

The guy was not a scammer , is not a scammer ,so that is it on this.

The political side of it of it is not what I disagree with.

Cheers
JD

sns2
12-30-2021, 01:15 PM
Positrac is very decent guy and has always been decent to me, sending money out east on his part I can totally understand . To center out the owner and firearm on which site to who was a good solid guy is all I disagree with .

The guy was not a scammer , is not a scammer ,so that is it on this.

The political side of it of it is not what I disagree with.

Cheers
JD

JD, he didn’t slam the guy. Likely may have sold his gun for him to by the extra eyes on it.

It’s all good.

Talking moose
12-30-2021, 01:17 PM
Thank god people around the world still dealt firearms to Albertans when we were being ruled by the NDP govt……
Wouldn’t of been nice if manufacturers and distributors said “NO SOUP FOR YOU!” We don’t like you govt.

270person
12-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Kabec!!

:snapoutofit:

bat119
12-30-2021, 01:37 PM
The rifle appears to be sold no longer on CGN I wonder if someone on AO snapped it up

sns2
12-30-2021, 06:00 PM
The rifle appears to be sold no longer on CGN I wonder if someone on AO snapped it up

I bet it was. Been lotsa talk about 338 Federal on here lately, so you never know.

WV911
12-30-2021, 06:19 PM
Mike from Canmore bought it

sns2
12-30-2021, 06:26 PM
Mike from Canmore bought it

He got himself a good rifle at a good price.

Phil McCracken
12-30-2021, 07:06 PM
OK...

Posi seems like a nice individual. He lost out on a good deal because of his "principles". I get that...but...

Since when one should include "politics" when buying something?

In this case, the buyer was from Quebec, with a high rating. So why not negotiate with this individual?

Different reasons (positive and negative) were given, along with some goal post shifting. I get that.

On the political side, many reasons were given as to why we (Albertans) should not support these horrible people from Quebec.

How many here buy "Made in the USA" items?

Yep, the ones that oppose our pipelines, aluminum tariffs, and the list goes on. I have seen many brag on that on this site before. Great deals!

Not to mention woke Amazon, CT, and China products. Again, many bragged about these great deals.

We have all done it.

So come on...as firearm owners, if you see a good deal from a 5 star seller, wherever the hell he's from in Canada, what is the big friggin deal!...

Negotiate with that person to determine whether or not things are all good. Then make your call. You may loose on a great deal.

Really not that complicated...Over and out...:)

Mb-MBR
12-31-2021, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure if theres any relation .....but....:bad_boys_20::)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/one-province-in-canada-rated-their-sex-life-more-positively-than-others-they-re-happier-too/ar-AASjXTJ?ocid=msedgntp

Ken07AOVette
12-31-2021, 01:51 PM
Why is the OP not allowed his opinion?
He says something and is wrong according to some.
Maybe he was not looking for opposition.

hilt134
12-31-2021, 03:09 PM

It’s the internet?? What do you expect???

Positrac
12-31-2021, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure if theres any relation .....but....:bad_boys_20::)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/one-province-in-canada-rated-their-sex-life-more-positively-than-others-they-re-happier-too/ar-AASjXTJ?ocid=msedgntp

Of course people in Quebec would rate their sex lives the highest in the country. No other province goes out of its way to screw the rest of Canada like Quebec does.

Pathfinder76
12-31-2021, 07:34 PM

He is. So can others.

Who Da Fisherman
12-31-2021, 10:07 PM
Of course people in Quebec would rate their sex lives the highest in the country. No other province goes out of its way to screw the rest of Canada like Quebec does.

Best last post of 2021 :sHa_shakeshout:
WDF

mrcrossbow
12-31-2021, 10:15 PM
its bugging me all day this.
lets remeber we are all Canadian we might strongly dislike other provinces politics but we have to remember the averge person is just that averge. there is some really rotten things in history and happening now because of were ppl live and how one country does not like another countrys politics but the averge person is a good person we cant let our feelings paint every one with the same brush.
that being said, everyone has there own opinions and is entitled to them and i can respect that. even if i dont agree.
sorry for being long winded. it just bugged me for some reason. cant explain why.
any ways happy new years to you all.

Mb-MBR
01-01-2022, 08:56 AM
I am looking at buying a used Infinity or Acura all wheel drive and I made the decision that I do not want to buy one from the east and prefer one from the west. This is not due to a bias or prejudice against someone I don't know, I just do not like the amount of salt or whatever combination they use out east to treat their highways in the winter. I have friends that live out that way and its amazing what they have to do to treat their vehicles, usually Krown Oil if memory serves me right.

I would find it difficult to define an individual by their province's politics and hold out hope that I would rise above that. Having said that I'm sure we all have relatives that have died overseas to protect the very right to have a differing opinion.