View Full Version : Next turning with a bushing die

marky_mark
12-30-2021, 04:21 PM
Once fired brass
Can I neck turn with a bushing die
Bushing dies don’t size the neck all the way to the shoulder

Pathfinder76
12-30-2021, 04:48 PM
I think you are asking if you can size neck turned brass with a bushing die? If so, the answer is yes.

marky_mark
12-30-2021, 05:25 PM
Close
I’m wondering if it’s ok to neck turn brass that has been sized with a bushing die

Since the die doesn’t size they neck all the way to the shoulder. Will I remove too much brass and cause bigger problems down the road?

Ruby76
12-30-2021, 05:32 PM
Depending on how much material you take off, and how much neck tension you want, you may need a smaller bushing next time you size it

pikergolf
12-30-2021, 05:35 PM
It is possible to only remove the doughnut you are creating and not make the neck thinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyJ9KkE2pVc

Pathfinder76
12-30-2021, 05:39 PM
Close
I’m wondering if it’s ok to neck turn brass that has been sized with a bushing die

Since the die doesn’t size they neck all the way to the shoulder. Will I remove too much brass and cause bigger problems down the road?

That is a good question. Here is my completely uneducated thought. Right where the “unsized” portion of the neck you are talking about tends to accumulate the largest brass flow. So I’d say you should be ok. But, where it me, I’d just buy a neck sizing die for this operation.

Bushrat
12-30-2021, 05:51 PM
Just need the appropriate size bushing so it will work with whatever thickness you turn the necks to.. lets say for a .243 dia bullet, you use a .270" bushing on an unturned neck that is .015" thick you will get an inside neck dia of .240" giving .004" neck tension, if you turn that neck to .012" thick and run it thru the same .270" bushing it will give you an inside neck diameter of .246" which is .002" larger than bullet dia, no neck tension and your bullet will fall thru the neck into the case. Bit of an extreme example but you get the picture.

Pathfinder76
12-30-2021, 06:22 PM
Just need the appropriate size bushing so it will work with whatever thickness you turn the necks to.. lets say for a .243 dia bullet, you use a .270" bushing on an unturned neck that is .015" thick you will get an inside neck dia of .240" giving .004" neck tension, if you turn that neck to .012" thick and run it thru the same .270" bushing it will give you an inside neck diameter of .246" which is .002" larger than bullet dia, no neck tension and your bullet will fall thru the neck into the case. Bit of an extreme example but you get the picture.

That isn’t the issue he is concerned with.

Bushrat
12-30-2021, 08:08 PM
That isn’t the issue he is concerned with.

Oh, ok.

no-regard
12-30-2021, 10:16 PM
I've always been told that is a no-no. Bushing die can not be used before turning.

Bushrat
12-31-2021, 07:29 AM
Sorry I missed MM's second post, his first was a bit ambiguous, didn't clue in that he was talking about turning necks AFTER neck sizing with a bushing. You could but why? Stepped necks have been known to lead to neck separation after repeated loadings.

Pathfinder76
12-31-2021, 07:50 AM
The bigger question is, will neck turning change much for the better?

DLab
12-31-2021, 09:51 AM
Is it a tight neck chamber that requires neck turning? Generally speaking , if you're using a bushing die the necks should be at least skimmed turned but it's not absolutely necessary.
If this is a hunting rifle or unless your neck wall variance is extreme or the cases won't chamber easily I wouldn't bother, not sure you'll see much benefit.
That didn't really answer your question though did it?

Unless your leaving an excessive amount of neck unsized at the base, then your die isn't set up correctly, shouldn't be an issue to remove some, it will be replaced after a couple firings anyway.
Having said that, I don't know your neck turning set up either or how much experience you have with this particular operation.

marky_mark
12-31-2021, 10:32 AM
Is it a tight neck chamber that requires neck turning? Generally speaking , if you're using a bushing die the necks should be at least skimmed turned but it's not absolutely necessary.
If this is a hunting rifle or unless your neck wall variance is extreme or the cases won't chamber easily I wouldn't bother, not sure you'll see much benefit.
That didn't really answer your question though did it?

Unless your leaving an excessive amount of neck unsized at the base, then your die isn't set up correctly, shouldn't be an issue to remove some, it will be replaced after a couple firings anyway.
Having said that, I don't know your neck turning set up either or how much experience you have with this particular operation.

Ive neck turned for 3 other rifles so far
I think it just eliminates a variable

This is for a 6.5 sherman short mag
They have their own brass now from adg but it comes in 284 dia and has to be sized down to 264. Which I have done with the bushing die and I have fired it once.
It seems to shoot well when i was fire forming the brass. So im not too concerned.
I have also added the step of running the brass through a mandrel after sizing to hopefully allow for more consistent neck tension. Which should help

Pathfinder76
12-31-2021, 11:04 AM
Buy an IDOD. :-)

I think you could turn fired brass with that.

DLab
12-31-2021, 11:51 AM
Ive neck turned for 3 other rifles so far
I think it just eliminates a variable

This is for a 6.5 sherman short mag
They have their own brass now from adg but it comes in 284 dia and has to be sized down to 264. Which I have done with the bushing die and I have fired it once.
It seems to shoot well when i was fire forming the brass. So im not too concerned.
I have also added the step of running the brass through a mandrel after sizing to hopefully allow for more consistent neck tension. Which should help
Looks like you know what you're doing. Is this using the 7 SAUM as a parent case? Necking down would thicken the neck wall somewhat I'm thinking, so turning either way would benefit IMO, depending on whether the reamer specs took this into account.
That some serious performance from a 140 grain class bullet.

DLab
12-31-2021, 11:55 AM

I'm sure you can, if your pockets are that deep it also allows you to carry all your fired brass in them.:)

marky_mark
01-01-2022, 11:50 AM
Looks like you know what you're doing. Is this using the 7 SAUM as a parent case? Necking down would thicken the neck wall somewhat I'm thinking, so turning either way would benefit IMO, depending on whether the reamer specs took this into account.
That some serious performance from a 140 grain class bullet.

Yes the 7 saum is the parent case
It should be a fun little cartridge
So far its showing lots of promise
Loading up some ammo today to hit the range and see how the fire formed brass shoots
I have a tuner from insite that im curious to try too

marky_mark
01-01-2022, 11:57 AM

Hmmmm

marky_mark
01-01-2022, 01:29 PM
Think it turned out okhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220101/98208edf4fa5fff518583c43187e3a80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLab
01-01-2022, 02:01 PM
Yup, just a light skim pass, what neck wall thickness did you end up with?
Depending on what angle degree your cutter has I may have gone down the shoulder just a smidgen more, but that'll work fine I'm sure.

I looked at the 7SS he has while trying to decide on a 7mm. build.
I'll wait for Chuck to buy the AUTODOD and read his review, till then I'll just have to settle for my 21st. Century turner if I need to inside neck turn I'll grab a K&N.

catnthehat
01-01-2022, 03:31 PM
Think it turned out okhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220101/98208edf4fa5fff518583c43187e3a80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said the 350 Rem mag is the parent case, I can only guess that they used that case dimension and deleted the neck?:)
Cat

marky_mark
01-01-2022, 11:47 PM
You said the 350 Rem mag is the parent case, I can only guess that they used that case dimension and deleted the neck?:)
Cat

Lol nope this is based off the 7 saum

catnthehat
01-02-2022, 12:05 AM
Lol nope this is based off the 7 saum

That Is what I thought, but I thought I read somewhere in fhus thead that someone mentioned the 350 Remington magnum which really confused me!
Going back through thd thread I can't see ot anywhere.:budo:
I necked down the 7SAUM to 6.5 without any other modifications quite a few years back, I liked it as much or better than the 6.5WSM
Cat

DLab
01-02-2022, 08:44 AM
I'm looking at trying one myself this year on a slow twist 6BR, would appreciate some feedback from you if you'd care to share.
I've done the research already ,just a matter of which one.

Pathfinder76
01-02-2022, 10:00 AM
It always fascinates me where caliber selection falls. 6’s, 6.5’s, and now the long range precision guys are all 7’s again.

catnthehat
01-02-2022, 10:08 AM
It always fascinates me where caliber selection falls. 6’s, 6.5’s, and now the long range precision guys are all 7’s again.

What's old is new again!:)
I remember an article stating that the 284 Winchester had the dubious distinction of spawning some very popular wildcats while it languished into oblivion, now it somehow is making a comeback!:thinking-006:
Cat

DLab
01-02-2022, 11:04 AM
What's old is new again!:)
I remember an article stating that the 284 Winchester had the dubious distinction of spawning some very popular wildcats while it languished into oblivion, now it somehow is making a comeback!:thinking-006:
Cat
LOL Yup, Henry just built me one, already have 6's and 6.5's.
Lapua now makes .284 brass, easy button.

marky_mark
01-02-2022, 11:50 AM
I think new bullets designs are helping. So does better quality brass that’s easily found and already formed really close to the final shape.