PDA

View Full Version : Pellet fireplace reviews?

summit151
12-30-2021, 04:54 PM
Wondering if anyone has a pellet stove? Currently bought a new house and have a natural gas fireplace insert upstairs but I am looking to add a fireplace downstairs now,

I grew up running and maintaining a wood stove and definitely miss the warm cozy heat they throw off, I am wondering if the pellet stove heat is a little more cozy and warming then the natural gas inserts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jungleboy
12-30-2021, 05:06 PM
Had a pellet stove for years in the basement and they are a nice heat although they do have a fan that makes a bit of noise. Pellets can be a challenge. The best way to buy them is by the pallet and unless you have a forklift it requires lots of handling of the bags . If you run the stove steady you will burn a bag a day give or take .

1hogfarmer
12-31-2021, 08:27 AM
Depending on your area, supply and price fluctuations may be a factor for you. By the pallet is definitely the way to go.

Neighbour put one in a few years back, but with the above issues I mentioned, he went back to just burning wood.

Big Grey Wolf
12-31-2021, 09:59 AM
Pellet stove always more expensive than wood blocks. A new pellet plant by Evansburg may be a good source for lower cost pellets by the pallet.
Pellets also have advantage of being able to load stove and get through the night.

Immigrant
12-31-2021, 01:30 PM
I have one in the basement. It gives off very nice heat, but the fan is loud. Currently paying $6.10 a bag that lasts 18 hours. It keeps the “back” part of the house at 20C with the furnace fan running. I only run it when it goes below -30C because of the noise and to take the “edge” of the cold.
Pellets are a hit or miss. The batch I have no makes a lot of ash. If I could have a “do over” I would install a proper wood stove. You are not relying on electricity or supply chain issues.
I got a whole pallet once, but the pellets eventually turned to sawdust after prolonged storage

kodiakken
12-31-2021, 04:18 PM
Have one in the basement and it keeps the majority of the house warm with out the furnace cutting in 1500 Sq Ft house till about -20 after that the furnace has to cut in to help it out.
Good pellets a bag a day $6.10/ bag bad pellets 2 bags a day they really are hit and miss on the pellets.
Burn 30 bags this year and only enough ash to fill a 3 gallon coal pail. You pack a bag of pellets down to the stove and get a day out of it you can't pack enough wood for a day in one arm full.
I go to town buy two pallets good for the winter. Put them in the garage by the house and have the grand kids pack them down stairs.
For me the pellets are just easier and cleaner and a lot less work.
Good Luck.

JohnB
12-31-2021, 04:35 PM
I will be putting one in my basement this year once I finish the basement. More for backup heat when power goes out. Will just have to run a cord from generator to it. We lost natural gas to our place once for a few days in winter.

npauls
12-31-2021, 07:26 PM
I currently have one in my garage and am thinking about changing my natural gas one in the house to a pellet stove. The heat from wood burning is just a more comfortable heat.

pa_of_6
01-01-2022, 10:26 AM
Have one

Feeble heat at most
And hungry and expensive

That sucker will gobble up 2 bags of pellets in 24 hrs

At 7-9$ a bag

And yes
Hardwood pellets have more heat than softwood but u pay more

Vanderwell pellets are softwood and a fair bit of bark... crappy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk