PDA

View Full Version : 410 reloading

Slicktrick
12-30-2021, 08:22 PM
Unaware there was a shortage of 410 ammunition on the shelf I went out and purchased a used 410 for chicken hunting. As I have not been able to find anything for factory ammunition in my area I thought I’d inquire here to see what guys are using to load their own 410. All I have found through a few google searches is the mec 600 jr but unavailable anywhere that has them listed. I was hoping I could convert over my old lee load all but from what I read that’s out of the question. Any tips or leads as to where a guy could purchase a new or used press would be greatly appreciated even an old lee loader kit
Thank you in advance

elkhunter11
12-30-2021, 08:31 PM
Try Hummason, I bought my 410 and 28 gauge MEC presses from them, and they usually have some in stock. Be prepared for a shock though, prices have really gone up. I would look long and hard for loaded ammunition , before paying for a press, just for hunting grouse.

Pioneer2
12-31-2021, 05:54 AM
If you buy a used one don't get the older model with the red wad guide fingers as parts are largely unavailable.Get the MKV with black wad guide fingers. H110 is the powder.Win AA hulls are the best followed by Win AA HS .They will take different wads.Federal is crap.

elkhunter11
12-31-2021, 07:41 AM
If you buy a used one don't get the older model with the red wad guide fingers as parts are largely unavailable.Get the MKV with black wad guide fingers. H110 is the powder.Win AA hulls are the best followed by Win AA HS .They will take different wads.Federal is crap.

These days, it is as easy to find loaded ammunition, as it is to find quality hulls, most people that have any, are loading them. And if anyone is selling once fired, they usually want a premium price.

jungleboy
12-31-2021, 09:18 AM
These guys show they have a mec jr for 410 .

https://bilozir.net/mec-600-jr-mark-v-all-gauges-canada-/

mrcrossbow
12-31-2021, 10:42 AM
get brass hulls, a socket the bass fits into, small wood dowel, thick paper to cut as over shot card, cotten balls for wads, some lead shoot, some bp or pyrodex, oh primers , a nail to punch out old primers, a dime to put in bottom of socket to tap new primer in place,and your set oh remember to take dime out after you set primer and put the hot hull back in socket so primer is over the hole and no chance it can go off as you load up the charge, little hot glue over the card board and everythingstays in place, can reload the brass for ever, i load my 12 gauge brass like that and am over 50 reloads per hull and no sign i need to replace them. can also reload round ball into the hulls for fun. can also fire form 303 brit into 410 hulls,

Dean2
12-31-2021, 10:53 AM
Unaware there was a shortage of 410 ammunition on the shelf I went out and purchased a used 410 for chicken hunting. As I have not been able to find anything for factory ammunition in my area I thought I’d inquire here to see what guys are using to load their own 410. All I have found through a few google searches is the mec 600 jr but unavailable anywhere that has them listed. I was hoping I could convert over my old lee load all but from what I read that’s out of the question. Any tips or leads as to where a guy could purchase a new or used press would be greatly appreciated even an old lee loader kit
Thank you in advance

Delete

Slicktrick
12-31-2021, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the responses I’ll search a few more stores when I’m traveling on the road for work after the holidays.

Bushmaster
12-31-2021, 12:50 PM
Not sure if you ever get anywhere near Provost in your travels but I could about guarantee Sam would have .410 shells. Bought some there not too long ago.

Pioneer2
12-31-2021, 01:34 PM
These days, it is as easy to find loaded ammunition, as it is to find quality hulls, most people that have any, are loading them. And if anyone is selling once fired, they usually want a premium price.

Bought a flat of Win AA loaded.............hulls aren't a concern.Primed Cheddite .410 are available and I picked up a roll crimper used in a drill. I can load them all 3" or 2.5"

elkhunter11
12-31-2021, 01:53 PM
Bought a flat of Win AA loaded.............hulls aren't a concern.Primed Cheddite .410 are available and I picked up a roll crimper used in a drill. I can load them all 3" or 2.5"

That is how I got my AA hulls, I bought AA loads on sale, and got the Winchester $2 per box rebate. I have accumulated 3000 AA HS hulls over the last few years, but after 4-5 firings, they are likely only good for another couple. I actually have a few flats of once fired Estate and Fiocchi, but I haven't bothered with them or Cheddite either yet. The Estate and Cheddite metal seems super thin, and I don't trust the basewads to stay put.

brass410
12-31-2021, 03:54 PM
switch to all brass right at the start, they seem to last forever, 444 marlin cases make good 2.5 shells and 9.3x74R make good 3" shells, a sharp 7/16 hollow punch and a felt insole will make a lot of cushion wads and the cardboard from litre milk container contains overshot cards.many different pistol powders work ie 296 unique Herco is a fav. 303 brit make good cases as well but sometimes the head is too thick and you will have to thin it down. I've shot these for years now and would not go back to the plastic hulls.

Tundrasquatch
12-31-2021, 06:18 PM
I have a Lee loader for 410 that my uncle cle gave me about 40 years ago. I no longer have a 410, so it should go to someone that can use it. I don't ghimk it has ever been used. I just have to find it.PM me and I will send it out to you.

Happy new year.

Dean2
12-31-2021, 06:25 PM
switch to all brass right at the start, they seem to last forever, 444 marlin cases make good 2.5 shells and 9.3x74R make good 3" shells, a sharp 7/16 hollow punch and a felt insole will make a lot of cushion wads and the cardboard from litre milk container contains overshot cards.many different pistol powders work ie 296 unique Herco is a fav. 303 brit make good cases as well but sometimes the head is too thick and you will have to thin it down. I've shot these for years now and would not go back to the plastic hulls.

This is excellent advice. My hunting partner shot 2.5 inch 410s out of his 444 for years. Was a great grouse round to about 10 yards. I loaded shot rounds in my 45 60 brass for my marlin. Because there was not shot cup it actually patterned way better than the factory 410s out of the 444. The rifling spun the shot collar and created an empty centre. With the 45 70 and over powder felt and a card board over shot was I got much better patterns to over 20 yards.

444 brass makes great 410s. We started using them for his to get better patterns out of the rifled barrel.

Slicktrick
12-31-2021, 07:16 PM
Not sure if you ever get anywhere near Provost in your travels but I could about guarantee Sam would have .410 shells. Bought some there not too long ago.

Thank you for the recommendation I actually end up in Provost a few times a year and was unaware there was gun store in town.

Slicktrick
12-31-2021, 07:20 PM
Thank you all for the helpful responses and Happy New Year

Bushmaster
12-31-2021, 07:23 PM
It's not a gun store....its a hardware store about 1/2 down the block on the east side of main. He is usually very well stocked.

Pioneer2
12-31-2021, 10:01 PM
Makes a wad called "stretch" that makes the .410 a 30 yard grouse gun.Claybuster makes generic wads for both WW and WW -HS hulls .

Tundrasquatch
01-01-2022, 12:10 PM
Slicktrick. Can you PM me again with you contact info. My reply to your PM do not appear to be going through.

catnthehat
01-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Makes a wad called "stretch" that makes the .410 a 30 yard grouse gun.Claybuster makes generic wads for both WW and WW -HS hulls .

I have loaded with the stretch, they are good wads, for sure.
Cat

densa44
01-01-2022, 12:31 PM
I shoot a .410 for pheasants exclusively and I have copied Cat's roll crimp, it works great and I can get in a few more #4 lead shot. BTW I don't think that a .410 would be the right gun for me if I didn't have her majesty (Sienna the PP) to shoot over.