PDA

View Full Version : Need Help picking a photo for fun contest

freeride
12-30-2021, 11:55 PM
So I am entering into a fun photo contest, but need help deciding which one to put in...

https://i.imgur.com/wyCihSi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u9aeEKe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LR1qUoj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ODEf63l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/r0vxmHg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/REwkxw0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T3DYg0R.jpg

Hunt4Ever
12-31-2021, 12:02 AM
Very nice, number 1 for me.

ttankster
12-31-2021, 07:50 AM
Photo #7 is my choice.

Savage Bacon
12-31-2021, 07:52 AM
I like #7 looks like they're waiting for a treat

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

stubby99ca
12-31-2021, 07:53 AM
#4 for me

spurly
12-31-2021, 07:58 AM
Pic 6 for me

teledogs
12-31-2021, 08:16 AM
I vote 5.

owlhoot
12-31-2021, 08:44 AM
I like #6

Dean2
12-31-2021, 08:47 AM
4. Has scene, good depth of field so you can see the far background scene, great focus, and an interesting subject that isn't that easy to photograph. Nice set of pictures. Let us know what you enter and how you make out.

58thecat
12-31-2021, 08:58 AM
Voted for pic4.

Don’t need to go into depth why as somethings just make you say wow:)

K44
12-31-2021, 09:05 AM

Mr Conservation
12-31-2021, 09:18 AM
All are great photos, but I went with pic 4.

Mr Conservation

Phil McCracken
12-31-2021, 09:34 AM
Voted #5...:)

Ken07AOVette
12-31-2021, 09:54 AM
It was tough between 1 and 4, but 4 looked like a 1970 Banff calendar. All great shots though, good luck!

Ackleyman
12-31-2021, 10:34 AM

Tronneroi
12-31-2021, 10:38 AM
I picked number four. Dean summed it up perfectly. All are great photos though.

ol whitey
12-31-2021, 10:42 AM
Yes I like #5 as well.

The Cook
12-31-2021, 10:44 AM
#4 first choice
#5 second choice

sage 13
12-31-2021, 10:47 AM
kind of need to know what the contest is for to decide.

freeride
12-31-2021, 10:54 AM
kind of need to know what the contest is for to decide.

It's for the photo contest at the sheep show, category is live sheep.

I love taking photos and spending time up the mountains with these guys so I figured hey why not just send in a photo this year.

Not planning on winning, just sharing a picture with others who can make it online or in person.

My issue is each picture has a story behind it, and memories of the climb, getting close to the sheep, and the sights of the day that makes me enjoy it even further and I can't decide what to send in.

tirebob
12-31-2021, 10:58 AM
You say "fun" photo contest... Is it fun because it is themed or fun because it is not of any large prestige and just just for fun kinda thing?

I like number one as a fun photo because it looks like the one got interrupted in the middle of eating and looking back to deliver a one liner or something.. haha! You you meme the tar out of that one...

Pic 4 looks like an advertising calendar shot. It is very nice and looks like you would expect a shot like that to look like.

Pic 6 is IMHO the most artistically pleasing. It has direction, great colour balance and composition. It has plenty of focal interest outside of the animals themselves and draws your eye around the piece more looking for details. I like the way the big fellow is looking off in a way that suggest protection and ownership of the relationship. Very majestic in the realness. Not that any of these are staged of course, but that one feel so incredibly genuine.

If you put these all up on a wall in a gallery and filmed people looking at them, that is the one that I think you would find most be stop and ponder the longest, even if they are doing it subconsciously.

If I was to try and paint a scene from one of these photos that is the one I would choose hands down.

Edit - I love the colours in this piece a lot! The rusted iron colour in the horns against the the same colours in the rock is amazing! Just displays the camouflaging ability so well. I love this photo a lot!

altex
12-31-2021, 11:00 AM
I pick 4 . But they are all awesome picture.

HyperMOA
12-31-2021, 11:21 AM
#6 followed by7

freeride
12-31-2021, 11:31 AM
Tirebob it's a fun contest because I am entering it for fun, no expectations of anything in the contest.

I enjoy taking them, but have never entered into anything before. Quite frankly they are not up to par with what I see out there, so I am just tossing one in for fun.

For those who win the contest I think it's a pair of binos and the wildsheep foundation gets to use your photo.

freeride
12-31-2021, 11:36 AM
#6, #7 that ram was 1 of 6 that were chasing the ewe all over for over an hour. Up and down the mountain. She finally cliffed herself out so they couldn't get to her. One small ram tried, slipped off the cliff and broke his front leg on landing from the fall. I heard the Crack from where I was. He just went and laid up the rest of the day. The break wasn't a compound, but he wasn't putting weight on it. I have to go back and check up to see if he is still around when the weather warms a bit. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounded.

This ram won against the rest and was staring down at the other 5 rams below.

tirebob
12-31-2021, 11:40 AM
Tirebob it's a fun contest because I am entering it for fun, no expectations of anything in the contest.

I enjoy taking them, but have never entered into anything before. Quite frankly they are not up to par with what I see out there, so I am just tossing one in for fun.

For those who win the contest I think it's a pair of binos and the wildsheep foundation gets to use your photo.Kind of the toughest part of anything where the judging is subjective is choosing what will satisfy them.

If the judges are accomplished photographers themselves they will look at technical aspects as well as other things that a judge who was selected, say because he was a local celeb, would not look at. If they plan on publishing the winning photo, how that photo will be used may be a determining factor. Lots of things to consider.

In the end, you are at the mercy of the likes and dislikes of the judges and it will never be the same one day to the next so if you are not being super serious then go with the one you like the best. If you are trying to take it a bit more seriously and see where it can go, you can ponder a few things that may help you decide on one over the other.

Fish along
12-31-2021, 12:05 PM
Number 4 shows nice depth of field.

raised by wolves
12-31-2021, 12:35 PM
#4 has amazing clarity up close and as well in the backdrop. The backdrop looks familiar as well so it draws me in.

#7 as my second choice.

Greatwest
12-31-2021, 03:51 PM
#4 is great but #6 would also be a great choice! Good luck in the contest.

ram crazy
12-31-2021, 04:11 PM
Pic #4

flyrodfisher
12-31-2021, 05:04 PM
Nice photos.

Some comments that may help understand my choice;

Good interaction image, the out of focus grass is OK as it does not intrude upon the heads of the subjects, could use a touch of sharpening overall though
Again good interaction image, rear ends are cut off and the top terrain is bland.
A closer crop of this one would work better
front sheep is cut off...this one is a definite no go
probably the best of the bunch so far...good habitat image, great background...the one knock is that the image is too tight on the left frame edge...wish there was more there...
If you had just included the right side ram...the image would be perfect!
great background, good light. As is...both rams are cut off.
Crisp, clean, good habitat, nice splash of color with the blue sky
Out of focus

My choice is #6...but if you had just included the whole right side ram only on #5, it would be a clear winner

Good luck!

freeride
12-31-2021, 05:35 PM
really appreciate the feedback flyrodfisher.

I actually have the whole ram side on number 5 on my computer. I was trying to shrink/crop, and upload these on here last night, because its so easy to do on this forum (sarcasm)... and I guess I cropped his right side out without realizing! Good catch.

I actually have one not quite as zoomed in with 3 rams on the one side and him staring towards me on the right. He is mid chew of his cud though so he has a really weird face.

RandyBoBandy
12-31-2021, 07:24 PM
They are so AWESOME !! :sHa_shakeshout: Pic #4 and Pic #1 :)

KC1
12-31-2021, 10:15 PM
They are so AWESOME !! :sHa_shakeshout: Pic #4 and Pic #1 :)

X2

Burrowing Owl
01-01-2022, 12:23 AM
Guaranteed #4. It looks professional enough to be a poster.

But I also like #1, but it may be to aggressive for many in these times. :thinking-017: