PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas wont transfer between stores

RACKER
12-31-2021, 10:59 AM
I have been searching to find an otter pro lodge hub and i was checking all stores across Canada to see if they have any stock and was suprised to hear that they wont supply/transfer items from one store to the next.I understand if I ordered online but i thought if Calgary had one in stock they could ship it to Edmonton.Is this standard business these days or does anyone else find this interesting.I would have to pay shipping to get it delivered.

huntwat
12-31-2021, 11:01 AM
I’ve given up on cabelas. Very poor customer service and lack of product.
Shop elsewhere.

Sledhead71
12-31-2021, 11:06 AM
Not sure I understand your frustration. It is more than fair for the consumer to pay the shipping for a special order store to store transfer. Just my opinion of course.

Ken07AOVette
12-31-2021, 11:13 AM
Ask on the board if someone local would mind getting it for you. Meet/AO pony express or mail afterwards.

Dean2
12-31-2021, 11:13 AM
I just order online for pickup at the closest store. No shipping charges. Also, shipping on anything over 150 bucks is free to your home. That said I try very hard to buy ANYWHERE except Cabela's. Did you call the fishing hole. They often have stuff that isn't on their website.

RACKER
12-31-2021, 12:02 PM
Not sure I understand your frustration. It is more than fair for the consumer to pay the shipping for a special order store to store transfer. Just my opinion of course.

This is not a special order item. It’s an in stock item and i just assumed they did in store exchanges. Also you have to pick it up yourself as they will not even let you buy it and pay for shipping. I’ve tried everywhere online and all Cabelas are out of stock. The only reason I’m going thru Cabelas is I received a tent forXmas from there and I wanted to return it and pay extra for the model I wanted. Now I have found a place in Saskatchewan that has one in stock for 150 bucks more plus shipping on top. No sense in paying that so I guess I will wait to see if more stock comes in.

freeride
12-31-2021, 12:15 PM
I just order online for pickup at the closest store. No shipping charges. Also, shipping on anything over 150 bucks is free to your home. That said I try very hard to buy ANYWHERE except Cabela's. Did you call the fishing hole. They often have stuff that isn't on their website.

This is what I do as well. Although sometimes their closeouts will show available in store, but not online... then your just out of luck.

tirebob
12-31-2021, 12:25 PM
Getting quite common that stores for big box places do not do store to store transfers anymore. Not just Cabelas. Logistically it just doesn't make sense anymore with central warehouse able to set up and ship all the time. Stores really only have to worry about receiving now and it makes things cheaper for the entire company.

This is not a comment of whether or not that is crappy or not. Just one of the way of the world these days. Corps always looking for ways to save a nickel. The lost sales do not outweigh the added costs to logistics overall after everything is considered, service be damned.

Smokinyotes
12-31-2021, 02:43 PM
I’m done with Cabela’s. They never have what I’m looking for. And the sales staff are basically useless. If I can’t get it at Neerlandia co-op, Prophet River, or P&D I probably don’t need it.

fishnguy
12-31-2021, 02:49 PM
Cabela’s never transferred merchandise from one store to another. It was always disappointing seeing an item you need that has been discontinued and is not available anywhere (as in no retail outlet in Canada) but Cabela’s at Barrie, ON or Nanaimo, BC and at 50% off to boot, lol. But that’s the way it has always been.

gunluvr
12-31-2021, 03:10 PM
I was looking for an RCBS Chargemaster Lite about a month ago. Checked stock in Cabelas Edmonton stores and both had it, so I ordered it.
Had it shipped Canada Post and they gave me tracking info whenever it was moving. Got a notice a few days after I placed the order that it would be shipped out of Calgary as soon as it was available.???
A few days later it was shipped from Calgary to Edmonton postal center, then arrived at my local post office next day. All in all, took 10 days.
I could have gone to Edmonton by dog sled and picked it up there faster. (I'm kinda between Calgary and Edmonton).
* I should note that I ordered it through Edmonton store south.

JohninAB
12-31-2021, 03:21 PM
For Otter gear try CMX Powersports out of Swift Current. Very fast shipping and excellent customer service. May even get free shipping.

www.cmxpowersports.com

As for Cabelas, I ordered some protective cases for my Bushnell trail cams about 4 years ago. None in stock online so they had the Saskatoon store ship them to me as they were the only store with any stock. I was impressed and disappointed to hear they no longer do that.

fishnguy
12-31-2021, 03:23 PM
I once ordered a yellow tail from a whitetail (fly tying) and received it 2 years later, lol. True story. They emailed me gazillion times asking if I want to cancel the order, but I just wanted to see what happens. It was part of a larger order initially and was $5 or something like that at the time, I believe.

gunluvr
12-31-2021, 03:33 PM
I’m done with Cabela’s. They never have what I’m looking for. And the sales staff are basically useless. If I can’t get it at Neerlandia co-op, Prophet River, or P&D I probably don’t need it.

Prophet River may be the best place in Alberta to order online from or just to buy stuff from. Great owner, great staff.

JohninAB
12-31-2021, 03:55 PM
I may have misunderstood what the OP stated. My situation with the camera boxes I stilled paid shipping. Think he wants the hub shipped from Calgary to Edmonton store then he goes in and picks it up so no shipping fees. Sorry.

sns2
12-31-2021, 04:00 PM
To the best of my recollection they have never done in store transfers. If you remember, at one time Winnipeg was home base for them, and Edmonton was their second location. I tried to get something transferred from the Winnipeg store - not the warehouse - and it was a no go.

Tirebob explained it well. No shipping training and protocol required.

lannie
12-31-2021, 08:57 PM
The comments on this thread are very similar to many Wholesale Sports threads from the past.

RandyBoBandy
12-31-2021, 08:59 PM
The comments on this thread are very similar to many Wholesale Sports threads from the past.

Dayuum, you beat me to it !!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

SakoAlberta
01-03-2022, 09:48 PM
Prophet River may be the best place in Alberta to order online from or just to buy stuff from. Great owner, great staff.

We are in the middle of a move right now , so, please be a bit patient with us for a few days ;)

Mr Flyguy
01-03-2022, 10:03 PM
Canadian Tire is the same way.

Cigarguy
01-03-2022, 10:20 PM
Lots of stores will not do inter store transfer. Everyone will always default to recommending you go to their online store. Some will even offer to call another store and get them to hold it until I drive to the next store.

Makes economic sense if you think about it. Sometimes we expect too much and are our own worst enemy. We vote with our wallet and buy from the big box stores and enrich the likes of Amazon and China which starves out the locals but expect local service.

marky_mark
01-04-2022, 08:34 AM
I was looking for an RCBS Chargemaster Lite about a month ago. Checked stock in Cabelas Edmonton stores and both had it, so I ordered it.
Had it shipped Canada Post and they gave me tracking info whenever it was moving. Got a notice a few days after I placed the order that it would be shipped out of Calgary as soon as it was available.???
A few days later it was shipped from Calgary to Edmonton postal center, then arrived at my local post office next day. All in all, took 10 days.
I could have gone to Edmonton by dog sled and picked it up there faster. (I'm kinda between Calgary and Edmonton).

It might have not actually been in stock and their inventory on the website was wrong

urban rednek
01-04-2022, 12:17 PM

When you order something from Cabela's online, it doesn't ship from a local store, it ships from their distribution centre in NE Calgary. The distribution centre moved from Winnipeg to Calgary in early 2015.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=247487
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/cabela-s-moves-distribution-centre-from-winnipeg-to-calgary-1.2897866

Plenty of people in Alberta, and this forum, should be happy about how Cabela's pricing and customer service have vastly improved since Wholesale Sports closed its doors. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cigarguy
01-04-2022, 12:46 PM
Plenty of people in Alberta, and this forum, should be happy about how Cabela's pricing and customer service have vastly improved since Wholesale Sports closed its doors. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Yeah I hear you. I also missed Russel Sports and a few other mom and pops tackle shops. Having more options to shop at a Canadian company or better yet local was always nice.

At Cabelas I consider it a major win if the guys in the "fishing" area can tell me if an item listed on their website is actually in stock like it says in on the website. Most of the time I always get the same sad story that the website inventory is not accurate without even making an attempt to physically check for me. At least they are better than Basspro who's do not even have a functioning Canadian website. They couldn't care less.

saskbooknut
01-04-2022, 01:30 PM
Cabela's is not perfect, but they do have a huge inventory in Canada. Unfortunately, Cabela's is not improved by Bass Pro ownership.
Cabela's competition forced Wholesale to up their game, but then UFA found ways to drive Wholesale towards bankruptcy.
I like the people who work at Cabela's in Saskatoon.
One store can't be a things, to all people.
We are fortunate to have some smaller, and more specialized retailers in the mix.
I think that some people have unrealistic expectations of a business. Their real purpose has always been to make money for shareholders, after all.

Ken3134
01-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Getting quite common that stores for big box places do not do store to store transfers anymore. Not just Cabelas. Logistically it just doesn't make sense anymore with central warehouse able to set up and ship all the time. Stores really only have to worry about receiving now and it makes things cheaper for the entire company.

This is not a comment of whether or not that is crappy or not. Just one of the way of the world these days. Corps always looking for ways to save a nickel. The lost sales do not outweigh the added costs to logistics overall after everything is considered, service be damned.

Bang on. For the Business this would be Logistic nightmare sucking profitability away in inefficiency , while most likely not meeting the expectations of the customer in a timely manner, that would bring plenty of criticism and negative attention to their customers reviews.

MyAlberta
01-04-2022, 07:45 PM
Bang on. For the Business this would be Logistic nightmare sucking profitability away in inefficiency , while most likely not meeting the expectations of the customer in a timely manner, that would bring plenty of criticism and negative attention to their customers reviews.

As well, because online is out of distribution, inventoried stores service walk ins. Drawing inventory away from those local customers may not be the best plan.

riden
01-05-2022, 11:55 AM
Canadian Tire is the same way.

I do like Canadian Tire online as it ships from the store and if your local store doesn't have it in stock, you can order from another store that does have it in stock.