PDA

View Full Version : Fuel stabilizers for 2 stroke engine question

Sundancefisher
01-01-2022, 11:12 AM
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer-236-ml-0380907p.html#srp

I was thinking of adding this to my snow blower to help remove any build ups from over the past 10 years before I got it.

Any thoughts or concerns I should have?

spurly
01-01-2022, 11:15 AM
Have you tried Seafoam fuel treatment. It’s pretty good stuff

7magtime
01-01-2022, 11:17 AM
X2 on Seafoam, it’s all I use for stabilizing fuel and minimizing deposits in all of my seasonal engines. Haven’t had any issues using it and premium fuel together….

Sundancefisher
01-01-2022, 11:51 AM
Have you tried Seafoam fuel treatment. It’s pretty good stuff

Does one buy the liquid and pour a little into the tank or is there a set amount?

elkhunter11
01-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Use Sea Foam and then purchase only premium non ethanol fuel.
You can even purchase the pre mixed fuel, as it already contains stabilizers, and you won't use a lot in a year.

Which snowblower did you buy that uses a 2 stroke engine, the vast majority are 4 strokes. Or are you talking about a leaf blower?

Pathfinder76
01-01-2022, 12:02 PM
Buy premixed fuel.

Dean2
01-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Sundance - the blower you bought is not a two stroke, oil is not mixed with the gas. It has a 4 stroke motor. The Seafoam and premium gas will work perfect. Mix instructions are right on the bottle. I put mine into the 5 gallon Gerry I use to fill the Quad, blower etc. I use Stabil as well and it works good as a Stabilizer but Seafoam is a better dual use for stabilization and cleaning.

nimrod
01-01-2022, 12:05 PM
I have used the premium fuel bought from from small engine places, when I had a whiper sniper that did not start in the spring took it to the small engine guys, carberator needs replacement, i was not happy about this as the new carberator cost more than I paid for the unit, thats when they told me about the the premium fuel, now everything starts first or second pull using the premium fuel even when sitting for 6 months , im a believer now, this is just my life story when dealing with units sitting for 6 months

elkhunter11
01-01-2022, 12:16 PM
I have used the premium fuel bought from from small engine places, when I had a whiper sniper that did not start in the spring took it to the small engine guys, carberator needs replacement, i was not happy about this as the new carberator cost more than I paid for the unit, thats when they told me about the the premium fuel, now everything starts first or second pull using the premium fuel even when sitting for 6 months , im a believer now, this is just my life story when dealing with units sitting for 6 months

Beware that some premium fuels still contain ethanol, and they still degrade much faster than the non ethanol premiums. being in Camrose, Safeway sells non ethanol premium.

barbless
01-01-2022, 12:25 PM
Do fuel stations that sell premium fuel like Esso, Coop, Shell have Ethanol in their mix? Usually don't say at the pump that I have noticed

Savage Bacon
01-01-2022, 12:28 PM
Do fuel stations that sell premium fuel like Esso, Coop, Shell have Ethanol in their mix? Usually don't say at the pump that I have noticedCoop regular has ethanol. I'm sure the others do too by now. But I'm not sure about premium, for some reason I don't think premium has ethanol.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Pathfinder76
01-01-2022, 12:41 PM
You can also buy treated non ethanol fuel in a can for 4 stroke engines as well.

Dean2
01-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Shell premium does not have ethanol, anywhere in Alberta. In Edm, Costco premium doesn't have ethanol either. The rest you have to check the pumps. They must be marked if ethanol is present but some are not real clear about regular vs premium. Most Essos, and thus Mobil, the premium is ethanol free, all Husky and Petro Cans has ethanol in every grade.

elkhunter11
01-01-2022, 12:53 PM
Do fuel stations that sell premium fuel like Esso, Coop, Shell have Ethanol in their mix? Usually don't say at the pump that I have noticed

Some do state right on the pumps, Shell and my local Safeway state 10% on regular, 5% on mid grade, and no ethanol on premium. The Shell refinery has no ethanol in premium fuel. Petro Canada, Husky/Mohawk have ethanol in all grades. As for the other vendors, it depends which refinery they buy from.

But that if for the present, legislation is proposed to ban all non ethanol gasoline this year.

https://cherylgallant.com/blog/2021/07/16/report-from-parliament-new-canadian-fuel-regulations-coming/

barbless
01-01-2022, 01:02 PM
Some do state right on the pumps, Shell and my local Safeway state 10% on regular, 5% on mid grade, and no ethanol on premium. The Shell refinery has no ethanol in premium fuel. Petro Canada, Husky, and Mohawk have ethanol in all grades. As for the other vendors, it depends which refinery they buy from.

I have heard Shell Premium has no ethanol and that's the reason I go to Shell and fill up my boat. 150 Yammy 2 Stroke. Ethanol is a killer especially for boat engines, so I have read and been told.

elkhunter11
01-01-2022, 01:04 PM
I have heard Shell Premium has no ethanol and that's the reason I go to Shell and fill up my boat. 150 Yammy 2 Stroke. Ethanol is a killer especially for boat engines, so I have read and been told.

And our government doesn't care, they plan on banning all non ethanol gasoline this year.

https://cherylgallant.com/blog/2021/07/16/report-from-parliament-new-canadian-fuel-regulations-coming/

Dick284
01-01-2022, 01:09 PM
Seafoam and “tech” fuel!

Nuff said!

sako1
01-01-2022, 01:44 PM
Avgas

MountainTi
01-01-2022, 01:50 PM
Stihl 2 stroke oil has fuel stabilizer in it. If you don't use much just buy premixed in the can. I go thru so much 2 stroke gas I don't even bother using premium. If it's going to sit for more than a year though, use premium...or when you're done with the tool for the year drain tank and run it out of fuel.

If you believe you have a varnish build up you want cleaned out, seafoam will do nothing but cost you money. Nothing magical abut it at all. Hand sanitzer (ISO)and white gas. Take carb apart and clean it.

amosfella
01-01-2022, 02:33 PM
Shell premium does not have ethanol, anywhere in Alberta. In Edm, Costco premium doesn't have ethanol either. The rest you have to check the pumps. They must be marked if ethanol is present but some are not real clear about regular vs premium. Most Essos, and thus Mobil, the premium is ethanol free, all Husky and Petro Cans has ethanol in every grade.

Not true. The Shell at the Flying J on Barlow has ethanol in their premium. Says that right on the pump.

amosfella
01-01-2022, 02:38 PM
I use non ethanol Shell premium. I mix in a 1/4 can of seafoam, and Amsoil fuel stabilizer. I have had 2 stroke equipment with gas in it for 2 years that still starts up just fine. I've also got a can of mixed 2 stroke gas that's almost 2 years since I mixed it that in november ran a chainsaw just fine.

Sundancefisher
01-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Sundance - the blower you bought is not a two stroke, oil is not mixed with the gas. It has a 4 stroke motor. The Seafoam and premium gas will work perfect. Mix instructions are right on the bottle. I put mine into the 5 gallon Gerry I use to fill the Quad, blower etc. I use Stabil as well and it works good as a Stabilizer but Seafoam is a better dual use for stabilization and cleaning.

Right. My mistake. I had my mind on my Stihl blower which I think could also use some carb cleaning. It’s blowing a little more exhaust colour these days.

Thanks for the tips. Haven’t heard anything bad about seafoam.

Dean2
01-01-2022, 02:51 PM
I use non ethanol Shell premium. I mix in a 1/4 can of seafoam, and Amsoil fuel stabilizer. I have had 2 stroke equipment with gas in it for 2 years that still starts up just fine. I've also got a can of mixed 2 stroke gas that's almost 2 years since I mixed it that in november ran a chainsaw just fine.

You may not realise, I didn't until I bought a new case of seafoam a couple or so years ago, Seafoam is also a stabilizer. Says it much clearer on the can now. No need for the Amsoil if you use Seafoam too.

Ebrand
01-01-2022, 03:18 PM
Or Costco premium.

Only thing that goes in my small engines. I have Lots of small engines. Some are used daily.

My gas hedge trimmers get used once a year. They start perfectly every year. And have been for 10 years.

Have not had a carburetor apart since I start the no ethanol premium thing.

Jims83cj5
01-01-2022, 04:35 PM
Canadian tire in Shawnessy premium is ethanol free

sourdough doug
01-01-2022, 06:00 PM
Premium, plutonium... I have a 2500 W generator at my cabin on the trapline. It's been there, going on 20 years, runs when I'm there, summer and winter...and has never seen anything other than regular fuel, from day one, purchased from our local Fas Gas....It might get possibly a shot of seafoam every 100 - 200 liters of fuel...I have this same fuel, that may sit for months before I can get back to the cabin..Max. 3 pulls and I have power.....
So tell me again, what additives I should be using so I can stock up..:thinking-006:
I guess, I should mention that I am talking - 4 stroke....regardless

amosfella
01-01-2022, 06:17 PM
You may not realise, I didn't until I bought a new case of seafoam a couple or so years ago, Seafoam is also a stabilizer. Says it much clearer on the can now. No need for the Amsoil if you use Seafoam too.

I do realize that. Just found longer results with the Amsoil in the mix.

mxz1997
01-01-2022, 06:51 PM
Premium, plutonium... I have a 2500 W generator at my cabin on the trapline. It's been there, going on 20 years, runs when I'm there, summer and winter...and has never seen anything other than regular fuel, from day one, purchased from our local Fas Gas....It might get possibly a shot of seafoam every 100 - 200 liters of fuel...I have this same fuel, that may sit for months before I can get back to the cabin..Max. 3 pulls and I have power.....
So tell me again, what additives I should be using so I can stock up..:thinking-006:
I guess, I should mention that I am talking - 4 stroke....regardless

If you are running it every couple months then you won’t have problems. Anything that sits for 6+ months with ethanol fuel will start having problems. Ethanol attracts moisture from the air, and will eventually phase separate and then your engine won’t run anymore. Beside this, ethanol also causes a greenish sludge in carbs that plugs up the jets.

does it ALL outdoors
01-01-2022, 06:53 PM
Buy premixed fuel.

At $10 a Liter and up, that's a hard pass for me.

I can but top shelf ultra premium gas (from AFD) and top of the line synthetic oil for about 1/4 the cost of premix.

WV911
01-01-2022, 07:38 PM
I have run a lot of Stihl equipment and since I started using only premium gas and Stihl oil I have never had a carb problem or hard start. That wasn't the case before.
Stihl Premix is expensive to use as everyday fuel but in the fall when I put everything away, I dump out the gas and add 1/4 tank of the premix and run it a few minutes. Every spring is a 1 or 2 pull start and no carb gunk.

amosfella
01-01-2022, 08:38 PM
I don't like the smell that comes off the Stihl 2 stroke premix. The Amsoil stuff seems just as good and is the same price from Peavey Mart. And it doesn't have the smell.

Reeves1
01-02-2022, 07:03 AM
If you are not using much fuel (gas) per year , look into the non-ethanol fuels from AFD.
Pricy , but has a much longer shelf life. Add a good fuel stabilizer & it will good (in a sealed container) for up to two years.

Phil McCracken
01-02-2022, 08:03 AM
If you are running it every couple months then you won’t have problems. Anything that sits for 6+ months with ethanol fuel will start having problems. Ethanol attracts moisture from the air, and will eventually phase separate and then your engine won’t run anymore. Beside this, ethanol also causes a greenish sludge in carbs that plugs up the jets.

We have an 11 year old 6500 Champion generator at hunting camp.

Runs 2 weeks in September, and 2 weeks in November. Stays there for the rest of the year.

Seafoam added a few times, and it still purrs, and will start now once the start button is pushed. No issues during cold weather either.

Yea...I like Seafoam also.

Home Hardware often has sales on them at $9.49/can I believe...:)

mac1983
01-02-2022, 08:55 AM
Cheap rancher/farmer here.

I burn Purple Gas/Diesel from UFA in everything.

I fill a 45 gal. drum with gas and pretreat with seafoam.

Have multiple 2 stroke Stihl tools all use Stihl oil and the pretreated purple.

When they go into offseason fill tank and add splash of seafoam.

They all fire up easy and run smooth.

Same goes for all the 4 strokes in the yard as well.

Fuel lines and carbs all golden.

Haven't had any fuel issues at all since I started pretreating with seafoam.

edit: The manager says they use Shell fuel...

Dean2
01-02-2022, 03:01 PM
Not true. The Shell at the Flying J on Barlow has ethanol in their premium. Says that right on the pump.

So this is the sticker that is on my nearest local Shell station. It is the same as what I have seen on pretty much every Shell pump in the province. I am suprised that Shell would add Ethanol to the Premium for a Single Flying J in Calgary, but stranger things have happened. Would love to see a picture of the sticker on their pump.

https://i.imgur.com/pBP84Af.jpg

Co-op in Edmonton and Calgary has no Ethanol in their Premium gas, same is true for the Edmonton and area Costcos. I haven't checked an Esso lately but their premium used to be ethanol free. Costco premium is about 30 cents a litre cheaper than anywhere else. Petro Canada, Mohawk and Husky have ethanol in all grades. The single benefit to ethanol is you don't have to use Gasline antifreeze (methyl Hydrate) any more. Other than that, it doesn't store well, gets worse gas mileage and takes a lot of energy to produce, not to mention wasting a pile of corn.

Co-op gas pump today

https://i.imgur.com/VzIUfrQ.jpg?1

Petro Can

https://i.imgur.com/O6HUfc6.jpg

204ruger
01-02-2022, 03:21 PM
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer-236-ml-0380907p.html#srp

I was thinking of adding this to my snow blower to help remove any build ups from over the past 10 years before I got it.

Any thoughts or concerns I should have?

I know on here everyone is a salesman for seafoam. However if that snowblower has had 10 years of service amd is pretty trouble free it is most likely still due for a maintenance carb cleaning. Where the carburetor is actually taken off and blown out with some cleaner. Then when that is done just run premium that doesn’t contain ethanol and you’ll continue to have years of service.

Just because there isn’t a problem doesn’t mean a carb cleaning can’t be done it’s recommended as maintenance. Seafoam or the like is not for cleaning hard deposits that have built up over time, they are at best a stabilizer. Clean carb and run premiums down with a good 2 stroke oil it’ll stay clean for many more years.

If you have a neighbour you don’t like his large trees encroaching on your yard drill a few holes in the root system and dump some seafoam down there. Works better for that than a cleaner.

Big Grey Wolf
01-03-2022, 11:02 AM
All my chain saws, quads , sleds, SxS's lawn tractor, etc sit All winter or summer with best ethanol fuel on the market (Regular Grade) Annual maintenance top up tank with more ethanol fuel , pull starter and go to work.

Savage Bacon
01-03-2022, 11:16 AM
I bought my old lawnmower used off of kijiji 17 years ago. That POS starts right up every spring with no issues at all.

I've rebuilt plenty of carbs that were varnished and crusty.

Ethanol absorbs water. Gas evaporates.

You can have something that runs forever with no issues at all. But my bikes and heavy chevy, always get fuel stabilizer in the fall. And top up with fuel if possible to prevent condensation.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Unregistered user
01-03-2022, 09:27 PM
Any engine that sits half a year would benefit from Stabil green in the tank. It is also a very good idea to drain the carburetor at season's end-most small engine carbs are set-up for this.

aardvaark
01-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Hands down the best prevention of carb problems on a seasonal engine is to block the fuel inlet to the carb and then run it till it quits. And in the case of an engine that has a gravity feed fuel system drain the tank and then run it till it quits. Some engines have a drain plug at the bottom of the carb which is the best and easiest way to do this. And make sure the air cleaner is installed properly so no dust n bugs can get in. The carb is empty and nothing can leave a deposit. No fuel treatment required, no other fussing of any kind. And it works on every carbureted engine two stroke or Four. Every time and forever. No matter what additive you put into your gas, the liquid that’s in your carb WILL dry out and leave a deposit of some kind. Doesn’t matter if it’s premium or regular ethanol or non ethanol, including avgas. And that’s a fact, can’t get around that.

Here’s why it happens: the idle circuits in a carb are very small in diameter. And it doesn’t take much sediment to block them. Some carbs do it every year, some only every ten or twelve years, some never. Long story short, there’s a whole bunch of variables involved. Just empty your carbs and you’re set fellas and fellets. And you’ll never have a carb problem with seasonal engines again. Ever.