PDA

View Full Version : Grohman Kitchen and Butcher Knives

ganderblaster
01-01-2022, 03:13 PM
With all the support for Grohman hunting knives on the other thread I was wondering if anyone has tried their kitchen or butchering knives. I see Victorinox butcher and kitchen knives getting lots of good reviews on here and these seem to be the same price from a small Canadian shop.

owlhoot
01-02-2022, 09:01 AM
I bought a couple Grohmann kitchen knives, A Chef and a Utility, Good quality knives, I got seconds on sale, they have a small S stamped into the blade but I don't see any real defects

DLab
01-02-2022, 09:38 AM
I bought this one for the girlfriend for Xmas a few years ago
https://grohmannknives.com/index.php/products/kitchen/forged-heavy/7-santoku-knife-detail
After a year of honest use I bought another for my Sister for her 50th. Birthday, had both knives engraved.
They handle very nice and the edge holds up extremely well with a regular touch up on a steel.
Also bought my Nephew the Standard Skinner 101 and it's been USED it also is holding up edge wise and the larger handle makes it really nice for grip.
So yeah, I recommend them.
The 101 was a second, had to look closely to find the defect, a teeny little crack at the leading edge of the handle in front of the cross pin.

Albertacoyotecaller
01-02-2022, 11:26 AM
I am about to buy to Grohman knives for the kids for hunting. I have a stainless bird and trout for 25 years. I think I will get them the carbon blades. I find mine hard to sharpen.

Trying to decide also between the original, the number 3 or something larger for big game hunting.

catnthehat
01-02-2022, 05:50 PM
I am about to buy to Grohman knives for the kids for hunting. I have a stainless bird and trout for 25 years. I think I will get them the carbon blades. I find mine hard to sharpen.

Trying to decide also between the original, the number 3 or something larger for big game hunting.

My son and I have found the original is the perfect size for deer and bigger game.
Cat

tranq78
01-02-2022, 06:07 PM

My youngest and I use the #3 Army with overlap sheath. If you don't find the #1's grip ergonomic the #3 has a more traditional handle (I'm left handed, my son is right). The #3 is also really comfortable in the hand plus the overlap sheath means we don't lose anything in the bush when hunting (we've lost gloves, etc. pushing bush).

My oldest has a #4 survival knife which is can skin larger game, baton wood and be used for general duty. If you have big hands this is a nice knife to get. It looks bulky but is actually really comfortable to use.

Edit: for lefties the #3 is a good choice as the #1 handle is for righties. The #3 handle is symmetrical. Plus the blade works really well for skinning and general utility.

MK2750
01-02-2022, 08:06 PM

The original has an distinctly Canadian history and will be around for generations if looked after.