PDA

View Full Version : Socks

Hilgy
01-01-2022, 04:20 PM
Well after 5 years of sitting on the fence I have finally got myself a good pair of hiking boots.

I have struggled the last couple years with hot spots and foot fatigue so I'm hoping this helps. I'm getting old and out of shape but I find if my feet are in good shape it makes a big difference in extending the hike.

So my next step is to add some quality socks to the equation. Anybody have a good suggestions for late summer early fall type hunting/hiking socks. I have the standard thick merino winter stuff and a pair of 1000g Elk Trackers I'm going to run for cold weather but I'm wondering what guys are wearing for early season stuff.

Hilgy

Jerry D
01-01-2022, 04:25 PM
Find some merino wool in lighter weights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainTi
01-01-2022, 04:28 PM
I just wear the merino blend socks from Costco. Actually i wear them for everything.

fishpro
01-01-2022, 04:56 PM
I use heavy merino socks year round as I appreciate the cushioning they provide.

waldedw
01-01-2022, 05:24 PM
I like wrangler mid calf boot socks, 80% cotton, cushion foot and arch support, very good and don't ever work their way down, I have about 8 pairs and wear the almost every day except in the summer when I wear my shorty socks

Sheepcrazyguy
01-01-2022, 05:39 PM
Smart wool socks were always great for me. You want something with loft. It helps cushion your feet and lessens any shocks. Loft is the most important
Merino wool is great I have it for long underwear just make sure it’s thick.

teledogs
01-01-2022, 05:45 PM
My favorite hiking socks have always been Wig-Wam Lite Hikers with a pair of gobi liners

bucksnbears
01-01-2022, 05:50 PM
Gotta admit, I've never found any socks that really matter?

fordtruckin
01-01-2022, 05:57 PM
As most who have spent time in the military will tell you, military gear is generally not of the “best” quality. Lowest bidder and all that. One thing we did was wear a thin pair of calf length dress type socks underneath your wool socks. Kind of a pain to have extra pairs but much better then blisters!

Hilgy
01-01-2022, 06:18 PM
Smart wool socks were always great for me. You want something with loft. It helps cushion your feet and lessens any shocks. Loft is the most important
Merino wool is great I have it for long underwear just make sure it’s thick.
I've heard lots of good things about Smart Wool socks but I've also recently read a couple reviews talking about the latest stuff not holding up like it used to. Apparently the newer production runs with the Smart Wool name embossed down the length of the sock do not last like they used to? I'm not sure that I do enough miles to wear out too many pairs so that might be a moot point.

My favorite hiking socks have always been Wig-Wam Lite Hikers with a pair of gobi liners
Liners are something that I'm going to try. I have read plenty of stuff about them being a game changer. I have owned so heavy weight Wig-Wam socks and loved them. To be honest I didnt know they made light weight stuff. I've never heard of Gobi so I'm going to look into that

As most who have spent time in the military will tell you, military gear is generally not of the “best” quality. Lowest bidder and all that. One thing we did was wear a thin pair of calf length dress type socks underneath your wool socks. Kind of a pain to have extra pairs but much better then blisters!
Funny, I had a friend who was in the Marines who told me the same thing. He said the one thing he always looked forward to getting sent to him was fresh socks because the ones he was issued sucked. LOL

Thanks for all the info so far. Keep it coming.

ÜberFly
01-01-2022, 06:25 PM
Have you tried rigid footbeds (Superfeet or Sole) along with socks?

For socks, best to combat blisters (other than getting boots sized correctly) is the liner plus merino combo. Try out a bunch different combinations!

Hilgy
01-01-2022, 06:45 PM

For socks, best to combat blisters (other than getting boots sized correctly) is the liner plus merino combo. Try out a bunch different combinations!

You bet. I recently put a set of the heat molded Sole foot beds in my Elk Trackers and it made a big difference

calgarychef
01-01-2022, 07:03 PM
I just wear the merino blend socks from Costco. Actually i wear them for everything.

Me too but the merino content has dropped to 74% … they aren’t the good socks they used to be

MountainTi
01-01-2022, 07:11 PM
Me too but the merino content has dropped to 74% … they aren’t the good socks they used to be

I noticed there was something different about them. Seem thinner

marky_mark
01-01-2022, 07:20 PM
Smart wool are great
Even the kuiu ones fit well and help

WV911
01-01-2022, 07:32 PM
Smart Wool are good and I have had great luck with the Costco Merino socks, haven't bought any recently to see if the quality has dropped.
I have read great things about Darn Tough socks but haven't tried yet myself.

EZM
01-01-2022, 07:48 PM
Thorlos socks - not wool - but I don't like wool and find the cushion sole ones very comfortable.

Homesteader
01-01-2022, 08:10 PM
Vermont Tough as Nails. They are pricey, but man I’ve been impressed with them.

Got em at Cabelas, the ones I got were mostly merino, but they make many styles, so just watch what’s in them. Extremely well made socks.

Vantage Point
01-01-2022, 08:31 PM
I picked up a few pairs of Kenetrek socks from Timber and Tines when they were open in Blairmore a few years back and have been very happy with them. Merino wool blended and very well wearing and durable.

FCLightning
01-01-2022, 09:25 PM

This is the ticket. Haven't had a blister or hot spot in 40 years of hiking.

Hilgy
01-02-2022, 12:41 AM

I've noticed while looking at the different brands mentioned in this thread that every brand has a different blend %. What % of merino should a guy be looking for to be considered good?

HunterDave
01-02-2022, 01:10 AM
Vermont Tough as Nails. They are pricey, but man I’ve been impressed with them.

Got em at Cabelas, the ones I got were mostly merino, but they make many styles, so just watch what’s in them. Extremely well made socks.

I think what you are referring to are “Darned Tough Socks” made in Vermont and cost about $35/pair with a lifetime exchange policy if they wear out. Cabelas sells them but I got a slightly better deal delivered to my home from Amazon.

As a +60 Trapper I need warm footwear and I don’t mind paying a little extra to make sure that i’m Comfortable. Cabelas forever merino wool socks were my go to until I they stopped their trade in for a new pair. I tried a couple of different styles of Darned Tough Socks and I found them thinner and not as woolly but a lot warmer for whatever reason. :confused:

Boot cut, full cushion was the style that I went with. Pretty sure the ones that I bought had the highest merino percentage.

mac1983
01-02-2022, 05:50 AM
https://www.amazon.ca/Merino-Hiking-Trekking-Socks-9-5-12-5/dp/B07D8W7BWL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=GD8SUGWDEWDA&keywords=danish+socks+men&qid=1641127548&sprefix=danish+socks%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-7

All their products are first rate.

owlhoot
01-02-2022, 08:48 AM
""I think what you are referring to are “Darned Tough Socks” made in Vermont and cost about $35/pair with a lifetime exchange policy if they wear out. Cabelas sells them but I got a slightly better deal delivered to my home from Amazon.""

I started using the Midweight Darn Tough socks, they're Great. they are a tighter weave somehow, good cushioning and are warm, 61% Merino wool and a blend of nylon and spandex

Cottus
01-02-2022, 09:04 AM

^^^The standard right here.^^^ Thin synthetic liner sock (polypropylene or like) wicks the sweat away from the skin. Medium weight hiker for some cushion, merino “Darn Tough” brand or equivalent. Between the two they eliminate or reduce rubbing on the skin.

If it’s too warm just take some time through the day to take the boots off and dry things out and/or bring changes of socks that you rotate through during the day.

calgarychef
01-02-2022, 11:06 AM
I've noticed while looking at the different brands mentioned in this thread that every brand has a different blend %. What % of merino should a guy be looking for to be considered good?

Costco used to be the same as smart wool socks I “think” they were 98% merino.
I loved them, nice and cushy and good in the kitchen standing all day, or in my hiking boots. I’d buy them 50 at a time and toss them in a drawer and pull a pair out every morning. Strange, my newer socks get holes in them and I toss them out but those years old first generation ones are still holding out and they’re far better socks than they have now.

Frank Grimes
01-02-2022, 11:48 AM
Anyone know where to get some 100% wool socks?
Not merino, but something like a thick rag wool sock. I had a few pairs but they are getting worn. No idea what brand they are, but I can wear them almost all hunting season from September to mid November and usually comfortable.

KGB
01-02-2022, 07:36 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/Merino-Hiking-Trekking-Socks-9-5-12-5/dp/B07D8W7BWL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=GD8SUGWDEWDA&keywords=danish+socks+men&qid=1641127548&sprefix=danish+socks%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-7

All their products are first rate.

They are only 33% merino wool. Reviews aren’t that great either….

mac1983
01-02-2022, 08:50 PM
They are only 33% merino wool. Reviews aren’t that great either….

Thought I'd try them out, now it's all I wear.

Used to wear two layers, 1 thin sock and a wool outer, for years.

One of these Danish socks and a set of Peavy Mart Muck boots.

That's all I've been wearing outdoors all winter.

Just my review that's all.

KGB
01-02-2022, 11:01 PM
Thought I'd try them out, now it's all I wear.

Used to wear two layers, 1 thin sock and a wool outer, for years.

One of these Danish socks and a set of Peavy Mart Muck boots.

That's all I've been wearing outdoors all winter.

Just my review that's all.

Fair enough. It’s all about our personal experience.
I bought a few pairs from Wholesale Sport when they were closing down and having a great sale on all different kind- Merino, Smartwool, Icebreaker etc. so I’m fully stocked/socked. Lol! These days, the good merino wool socks will cost you $25-35 pair!

Homesteader
01-03-2022, 03:46 AM
I think what you are referring to are “Darned Tough Socks” made in Vermont and cost about $35/pair with a lifetime exchange policy if they wear out. Cabelas sells them but I got a slightly better deal delivered to my home from Amazon.

As a +60 Trapper I need warm footwear and I don’t mind paying a little extra to make sure that i’m Comfortable. Cabelas forever merino wool socks were my go to until I they stopped their trade in for a new pair. I tried a couple of different styles of Darned Tough Socks and I found them thinner and not as woolly but a lot warmer for whatever reason. :confused:

Boot cut, full cushion was the style that I went with. Pretty sure the ones that I bought had the highest merino percentage.

You are correct, my bad. And yes they don’t look as bulky as some other socks but have been really warm with cushioning that belies their thickness.

ÜberFly
01-03-2022, 09:31 AM
So one thing to consider...

You can fart around with footbed and sock combos all you want, but at the end of the day your boots may not be the right fit for your foot.

So try a few combos (but don't lose your mind over it or waste anymore of your money), but you might just have to throw in the towel at some point and buy another pair of boots that fit your foot better...

Hilgy
01-03-2022, 11:25 AM
So one thing to consider...

You can fart around with footbed and sock combos all you want, but at the end of the day your boots may not be the right fit for your foot.

So try a few combos (but don't lose your mind over it or waste anymore of your money), but you might just have to throw in the towel at some point and buy another pair of boots that fit your foot better...

This is exactly where I’m at. I finally bit the bullet and got into a set of Crispi Nevada’s. I’ve been wearing Elk Trackers for the last 20+ years either in 400g or 1000g.
So far in the little amount of time that I’ve had the new boots I’m very impressed. Mind you, I’ve only been wearing them around the house and to walk the dog every day but so far so good.
My recent interest in socks was sparked by the realization that I’ve invested this much in boots so no point in cheaping out on socks.
I appreciate all the input and have a bunch of stuff on order to try out.

Thanks
Hilgy

hilt134
01-03-2022, 06:18 PM
If you do merino do icebreaker. You get atleast one exchange per pair for rips.

oilngas
01-03-2022, 06:28 PM
My smart wool merino's would shrink quite a bit during routine washing, so internet / you tube genius said try; wash in cold water, spin dry (no heat), soak in warm water with hair conditioner and move em around etc. til your tired of that, rinse in cool water, wring em out, stretch em out (the conditioner will have relaxed the wool fibers) , hang to dry.

Works for me!

Also i think folks are correct the smart wools that I bought recently do not seem to be as robust as older smart wool socks.

270person
01-03-2022, 08:26 PM
My smart wool merino's would shrink quite a bit during routine washing, so internet / you tube genius said try; wash in cold water, spin dry (no heat), soak in warm water with hair conditioner and move em around etc. til your tired of that, rinse in cool water, wring em out, stretch em out (the conditioner will have relaxed the wool fibers) , hang to dry.

Works for me!

Also i think folks are correct the smart wools that I bought recently do not seem to be as robust as older smart wool socks.

Smart wool recommends turning their socks inside out to wash in cold water. No tumble dry just lay flat on towel or hand. Don't roll them in a ball to store. Hair conditioner is like fabric softener and coats the threads but doesnt relax them.

Great socks. Ice Breakers may be a bit higher quality and they cost a bit more. I like them both more than the Darn Toughs.

ChrisGrohms
01-04-2022, 08:22 AM
There was an older fellow that used to sell socks at the Spruceview market. They were made from mohair from goats he raised. They were the most comfortable socks I have ever worn.They lasted me 2 years and then my dog ate one of them. My feet sweat pretty good and in wool socks they end up cold in a few hours. I never had issues with these socks though.

Found a link.
https://albertaopenfarmdays.ca/farm/white-treasure-farm-3/

MK2750
01-04-2022, 09:21 AM
I wear the Cabelas wool mid and light weight all year except for deer season when I switch to Smart Wool.

It is a real stretch to call the Cabelas ones wool as they are just a blend but they wick away moisture well and are extremely durable. I am very hard on hiking socks and these just don't wear out.

My Smart Wool are a couple of years old and are excellent for warmth and wear although they do not get the abuse of the others. I am not sure if they changed over the last couple of years as mentioned.

I am going to try the Red Head Ultimate wool socks next time I need any for hiking. They claim to be over 80% and get decent reviews. Very inexpensive if they are what they claim to be.

1hogfarmer
01-04-2022, 09:31 AM
Whatever ones have the most sparkles on them. Works for our fearless leader.