PDA

View Full Version : Be careful of scammers on AO

Positrac
01-02-2022, 09:07 AM
Just a little warning for my AO friends. It goes without saying but scammers are on AO waiting for some unsuspecting person so they can take your hard-earned money.

I posted a WTB ad a couple days ago in the gun section of the BST. I was contacted my a member, Phill259, who said he had exactly what I was looking for. He requested we continue our conversation over email (Philldaniel259@gmail.com). Before getting too far into it I checked out Phil’s profile on here but I couldn’t see anything. No profile, no posts, etc…. I contacted a mod and they couldn’t see anything other than he had just joined up the day before. So, I was pretty sure at this point he was a scammer but I figured what the heck and sent him a email. Phil sent some pics of a rifle in a store being held by what I’m assuming was a sales associate. It was a Browning but that was about it and it was pretty obvious Phil didn’t know his firearms. Wrong model, caliber, etc…. I played along and asked Phil for a copy of his PAL so we could finish the deal but Phil must be working or something because he isn't responding anymore.

I’ve contacted the same mod again so I’m thinking Phil’s days are numbered.

shooter55
01-02-2022, 09:17 AM
:fighting0007:Just a little warning for my AO friends. It goes without saying but scammers are on AO waiting for some unsuspecting person so they can take your hard-earned money.

I posted a WTB ad a couple days ago in the gun section of the BST. I was contacted my a member, Phill259, who said he had exactly what I was looking for. He requested we continue our conversation over email (Philldaniel259@gmail.com). Before getting too far into it I checked out Phil’s profile on here but I couldn’t see anything. No profile, no posts, etc…. I contacted a mod and they couldn’t see anything other than he had just joined up the day before. So, I was pretty sure at this point he was a scammer but I figured what the heck and sent him a email. Phil sent some pics of a rifle in a store being held by what I’m assuming was a sales associate. It was a Browning but that was about it and it was pretty obvious Phil didn’t know his firearms. Wrong model, caliber, etc…. I played along and asked Phil for a copy of his PAL so we could finish the deal but Phil must be working or something because he isn't responding anymore.

I’ve contacted the same mod again so I’m thinking Phil’s days are numbered.

Mb-MBR
01-02-2022, 09:19 AM
I could be wrong but I think most scammers prey in the WTB section of sites. Thats why I never post in there on any site. But they do operate in various forms as well.

Thanks for the heads up....

Zip
01-02-2022, 09:20 AM
If they only put as much effort into a real job..then scammers would be awesome employees..but it seems it’s so easy to take other people’s money instead!
Dredges of society is where these people rose up from!
Zip:)

CaberTosser
01-02-2022, 09:20 AM
While I hate all thieves, I think the ones who are too cowardly to put themselves at personal risk are even worse than the ones who break into your house. I mean there should at least be some element of danger for them! Online scammers are the low end of the thief hierarchy, even worse than crackheads stealing bikes from back yards.

freeride
01-02-2022, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the reminder.

WTB ads are easier for scammers as the scammer is dealing 1 on 1 with someone.

WTS ad has a lot of eyes on it to see its a fake.

Phil McCracken
01-02-2022, 09:55 AM
Thanx for the Head's Up...:)

esher
01-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Had a guy try same thing with me, sent me a Google search picture of a rifle that sold a few years ago half way around the world.

Tronneroi
01-02-2022, 10:43 AM
Always do a reverse image search on photos sent by sellers/buyers.

sns2
01-02-2022, 01:31 PM
On any deal, ask for a picture of the item with a piece of paper clearly saying something you told the seller to write, along with the time it was written, and it best be within a minute or so of you asking.

Ken07AOVette
01-02-2022, 02:36 PM
Ask for a phone #.
When they give excuses you know what's up.

esher
01-02-2022, 04:07 PM
Ask for a phone #.
When they give excuses you know what's up.

Mine was dumb enough to give me a number.

Artist
01-02-2022, 04:21 PM
I recently posted a WTB add in the classifieds looking for a .410 SxS. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted via text by someone claiming to have exactly what I was looking for (and maybe he did). I asked for photos - he sent photos of a nice little SxS lying on an American flag :thinking-006:

That American flag was my first RED flag. I then did a reverse search on the area-code of his number - it came back to Mississippi. When questioned, he acknowledged his location as being in Mississippi, but tried to assure me that shipping into Canada wouldn't be a problem, because "he knew who to contact". :thinking-017:

Whether it was an clear-cut scam or not, I don't know - probably - but yes, the key is to ask specific questions. If a seller isn't upfront with the truth, then walk away.