PDA

View Full Version : Heated/electric gloves.

trigger7mm
01-04-2022, 11:14 AM
Can anybody recommend a good pair of electric gloves? At my age, my hands get cold easier. Especially when I’m doing stuff like moving snow with my quad. Thanks for the advice.

Dean2
01-04-2022, 11:30 AM
I tried a couple of different electric gloves for riding the quad, I found them bulky and often too warm. Biggest issue was the bulk. I almost went to heated grips and thump heater but found mitts work much better than gloves when it is real cold on the quad and I didn't need to install the heated grips.

Be interested to hear if anyone found non-bulky electric that work good.

urban rednek
01-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Lots of great reviews for the Power In Motion heated gear. Their gloves are liners, they go inside a glove or mitt. Likely last longer that way.
https://powerinmotion.ca/Products/Heated-Wear

traderal
01-04-2022, 11:53 AM
I have tried 3 pairs of heated gloves (off Amazon), and find they are too stiff and bulky. They also heat the top of the fingers as the filaments might deteriorate if the inside of the fingers were heated. In really cold weather they were warm only about 10 minutes longer than any non heated gloves I use. So far my best combination are cut down merino wool socks inside leather mitts with sheepskin lining. I have ordered merino wool liners. I am also hoping wifey will buy me either beaver or coyote fur mitts for my soon birthday. You just have to look at what guys in Siberia use.

justsomeguy
01-04-2022, 12:46 PM
I bought the Costco ones for blowing the kids rink. Work great for 90 minutes or so but then battery died and I realized the reason they worked so well was they were pretty thin insulated and hands got cold quickly. Also noticed the leather was pretty delicate.

I think I’ll stick to hot pockets when they die.

JohninAB
01-04-2022, 12:56 PM
See a bunch of the snowmobile riders on YouTube are sporting the new 509 heated gloves but severe sticker shock at $340 or so.

Dean2
01-04-2022, 01:17 PM
Traderal

Went back to what I used when I worked in the arctic. Moose hide mitts with a knitted wool inner Mitt. You could take them out to dry and put a fresh set in and the moose hide was very durable. The

NCC
01-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Talk to Coy Coyote. He'll get some warm mittens built for you.

waldedw
01-04-2022, 06:12 PM
https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-t-max-heat-glove-liner-230760.html?rrec=true#230760%5Bcolor%5D=BLACK&230760%5Bsize%5D=S%2FM

These are not heated gloves as such but rather retain the heat from you hands and keep it in, I wear these inside my big mitts as a liner, they work great, I use them mostly when I out running the snow blower, this morning I spend over 1 1 /2 hrs out blowing my driveway and 2 of my neighbors driveways, my hands were toasty warm, before I used to have trouble going 1/2 hr hanging onto the handles before my hands were cold.
They also work great on those frosty mornings out in the goose blind, thin and easy to shoot with or load the shotgun with :)

huntinstuff
01-04-2022, 07:45 PM
I plow with my quad

Kimpex heated handles on the quad. Installed myself. Easy

And Watson mitts

thumper
01-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Lots of great reviews for the Power In Motion heated gear. Their gloves are liners, they go inside a glove or mitt. Likely last longer that way.
https://powerinmotion.ca/Products/Heated-Wear

I use a pair of these Power in Motion heated liners, inside of a pair of gauntlet-style gloves that I bought from Coy Coyote on this site. Works well for me!

ChrisGrohms
01-04-2022, 10:24 PM
I just got a pair of leather gloves from GIV-R. So far I am very impressed with them. They are not heated but are very good quality gloves. My next gloves I buy will be their mitts.
When I got them I thought they were way too small but after following their oven method break in procedure, they fit perfectly.
Time will tell how they hold up.
If you are using them for plowing then I would look at heated grips or even handle bar guards to keep the wind off. Also a windshield helps alot to keep the warmth in.

urban rednek
01-04-2022, 10:59 PM
I bought the Costco ones for blowing the kids rink. Work great for 90 minutes or so but then battery died and I realized the reason they worked so well was they were pretty thin insulated and hands got cold quickly. Also noticed the leather was pretty delicate.
Was that the Karbon brand heated gloves? I looked at them, wasn't overly impressed with the construction/leather/insulation level. I read there is also the little issue of having to disconnect the batteries when not in use; they slowly drain to dead while plugged in.

Lots of quality glove ideas on this thread for people looking for a better solution. Unfortunately, people with severe arthritis or Raynaud's Phenomenon need an external heat source such as chemical or electrical in order to function in the cold.

acumark
01-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Was that the Karbon brand heated gloves? I looked at them, wasn't overly impressed with the construction/leather/insulation level. I read there is also the little issue of having to disconnect the batteries when not in use; they slowly drain to dead while plugged in.

Lots of quality glove ideas on this thread for people looking for a better solution. Unfortunately, people with severe arthritis or Raynaud's Phenomenon need an external heat source such as chemical or electrical in order to function in the cold.

I have Raynaud's Phenomenon in my left hand only at this point and hoping it does not progress, realistically almost and weather below 17c and wear a thin golf like glove keep it warm. Anyway I am in the process of ordering from the in motion guys in Calgary so would like reviews as well thanks

JamesB
01-05-2022, 04:17 PM
I ordered a set of Day Wolf glove liners on line. They were shipped from China (although the site implied they came from the US). They were about $140 delivered. I bought a pair of much larger leather work gloves to wear over them at Mark's WW. In the really bitter cold they have kept my hands comfortably warm while I shoveled the driveway, even better than the large leather/wool mittens I used to use.
The jury is still out on whether they last, but so far I have one bad month (weather wise) under my belt.

thumper
01-06-2022, 12:37 AM
I like my Power-in-Motion heated glove liners, inside oversized leather gauntlet gloves - especially while hunting. I can easily slip off the outer gauntlets, and the heated liners are tight enough to handle the rifle and shoot with them on.

When walking the dog or doing outdoor photography when I'm not constantly 'working' with my hands, just the liners are warm enough - unless the temperature dips below -10C or so.

fordtruckin
01-06-2022, 08:20 AM
Look at a snowmobile shop. Both 509 and Klim offer heated gloves that aren’t super bulky as they’re geared towards sledding. As one already mentioned though they are a bit $$$. Of course depending on how serious the issue is with your hands getting cold it may be well worth it to you. I know I’ve frost but my hands multiple times and At 37 I’m just about ready to say screw it and buy some. Cold fingers suck!

justsomeguy
01-06-2022, 10:32 AM

These were the Mike Holmes branded yellow ones. It was a classic Costco “hey I could use those” decision.