PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Toyota Camry question

Fish along
01-04-2022, 12:50 PM
If my battery is dying would it cause something to whine? My car started a whining sound while driving so i came home and parked in the garage and this morning it wouldnt start,battery was dead i boosted it and it started,i just put in a temporary battery ,it works and the whine seems to be gone.Im going to get a new battery but wondering if the alternator might be acting up,any ideas what might be the problem, thanks.

Savage Bacon
01-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Check the alternator belt

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

urban rednek
01-04-2022, 01:51 PM
X2 A loose belt could be the source of the noise.

A simple battery and alternator test with a DMM (digital multi-meter) set on the 20VDC or Auto DC setting:
1. Ignition off, no key in the vehicle, check the battery voltage, write it down. If the ignition is in any position other than OFF, it can affect the reading.
2. Start the engine, check the battery voltage again, write it down.
3. Compare the 2 numbers.

If the alternator is working OK, the voltage reading should be 1-2 volts higher when the vehicle is running. That is the alternator charging/running the system.
ie. Off reading is 12.75 volts, engine running might read 14.0 volts.
If the voltage reading is the same, or lower, when the engine is running, there is a problem with the charging system.
If the battery voltage fluctuates wildly during either test, the battery is likely toast.

Note that it is better to recharge a battery with a proper charger than to do it with the alternator. Many vehicle alternators are not made for handling that much sustained load.

Fish along
01-04-2022, 02:03 PM

A simple battery and alternator test with a DMM (digital multi-meter) set on the 20VDC or Auto DC setting:
1. Ignition off, no key in the vehicle, check the battery voltage, write it down. If the ignition is in any position other than OFF, it can affect the reading.

If the alternator is working OK, the voltage reading should be 1-2 volts higher when the vehicle is running. That is the alternator charging/running the system.
If the voltage reading is the same, or lower, when the engine is running, there is a problem with the charging system.
If the battery voltage fluctuates wildly during either test, the battery is likely toast.

Note that it is better to recharge a battery with a proper charger than to do it with the alternator. Many vehicle alternators are not made for handling that much sustained load.
Thank you for replying,I'll try this and see what happens and report back.

Fish along
01-04-2022, 02:04 PM

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying I'll check it out.

Dean2
01-04-2022, 03:10 PM
Parked in -35 for a few hours, lots of stuff whines that doesn't when pulling out of a warmer garage, me included.:) Good battery and Alternator advice, also Parts Source will do a battery load test and Alternator output test for free, or at least they did for me 2 years ago.

Fish along
01-04-2022, 03:49 PM

I did as you instructed and it shows a few volts higher when running, thanks so alternator must be ok?

Fish along
01-04-2022, 03:55 PM
Parked in -35 for a few hours, lots of stuff whines that doesn't when pulling out of a warmer garage, me included.:) Good battery and Alternator advice, also Parts Source will do a battery load test and Alternator output test for free, or at least they did for me 2 years ago.

Thank you for replying.

omega50
01-04-2022, 05:15 PM
Not sure about Toyota, but my wife's Honda Fit wil whine and squeal with just about any fan belt but Honda's

amosfella
01-04-2022, 05:21 PM
An alternator can whine when it's trying to charge an almost dead battery.

EZM
01-04-2022, 05:25 PM
It been brutally cold for weeks now - not uncommon to have your vehicle whine at you upon start up if it's out there too long.

Having the battery tested is the next logical step. Seems like that may be the issue (even if it seems to rebound after it warms up outside) -a good battery should still have enough juice even when it's cold out there.

Bushrat
01-04-2022, 06:00 PM
An alternator can whine when it's trying to charge an almost dead battery.

Especially when it's -40 and the life has been sucked out of the battery getting it started.

KegRiver
01-04-2022, 06:05 PM
If my battery is dying would it cause something to whine? My car started a whining sound while driving so i came home and parked in the garage and this morning it wouldnt start,battery was dead i boosted it and it started,i just put in a temporary battery ,it works and the whine seems to be gone.Im going to get a new battery but wondering if the alternator might be acting up,any ideas what might be the problem, thanks.

It's possible. If the battery was pulling a hard charge due to an internal short, that would cause some whine.

It's also possible that the battery died because the alternator is failing and the whine is caused by worn out brushes.

You'll know soon enough. If it's the alternator the replacement battery will soon go dead.

Cement Bench
01-04-2022, 06:17 PM
It been brutally cold for weeks now - not uncommon to have your vehicle whine at you upon start up if it's out there too long.

Having the battery tested is the next logical step. Seems like that may be the issue (even if it seems to rebound after it warms up outside) -a good battery should still have enough juice even when it's cold out there.

Correct

2020 Toyota Highlander left outside at minus 40 while eating supper at neighbors

4 hours later it whined the whole way home for 8 miles

it happens at that temperature