PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to get a 20lb propane tank filled in South Calgary?

Sundancefisher
01-04-2022, 07:24 PM
Normally I just go to Co-op. But are they the cheapest or best?

I found the exchange a bottle program anywhere’s to be costly so I have my own.

I bought a new bottle cheapest place I found at Costco.

Anyone get refills at Costco? Do you need to wait in the stupidly long lines? Is there cheaper propane at the Tsuut'ina stations?

big zeke
01-04-2022, 07:31 PM
Go to Costco, IIRC they sell by the pound and are very cheap. Most other have a minimum and that often means you have to be below half (or so) to not overpay. They have the cheapest tanks as well when in stock

icecold
01-04-2022, 07:31 PM
Costco was something like $0.78/lb last time I looked. Co-op was around $1.10. Definitely worth it if filling multiple tanks and plus side its not at the gas bar you fill but by the tire center.

C&C Outdoors
01-04-2022, 07:36 PM
Costco will probably be your best bet and be able to fill a 20lb bottle for just under $10.

Line ups have never been an issue for me in sherwood park or st Albert.

I find the gas pumps is where you find the line ups at times, but usually move along pretty good.

urban rednek
01-04-2022, 07:49 PM
I fill up at Costco Easthills, it is considerably cheaper than service station refills. When service stations were charging average $25.00 / fill, it was averaging $7.50 at Costco. Last fill was $16.06, but I didn't keep the record of the cost per liter or the amount filled. They charge by the liter, so the price fluctuates.
Process:
Show your membership, get the tank filled, take the receipt from the pump attendant, go inside and get your groceries, when paying for the groceries REMEMBER to give the propane receipt to the cashier so it can be included as a line item on your receipt, pay for groceries and propane, take both receipts back to the pump attendant, grab your filled tank, leave.

Notice the all caps? If you forget the propane receipt, you end up going back through the cashier lineup again. It's especially aggravating on a busy day when you are in a hurry. :angry3:
Also, write the last 5 digits of your membership number on the top of the tank with a fat sharpie. That is how they know which tank is yours when they are busy and have several tanks waiting to be picked up.

ETA- the line up for propane is on foot at the propane tank. At the Easthills location, it is right outside the Tire Bays.
Not sure what they have at the SW location?

Sundancefisher
01-04-2022, 08:13 PM
I fill up at Costco Easthills, it is considerably cheaper than service station refills. When service stations were charging average $25.00 / fill, it was averaging $7.50 at Costco. Last fill was $16.06, but I didn't keep the record of the cost per liter or the amount filled. They charge by the liter, so the price fluctuates.
Process:
Show your membership, get the tank filled, take the receipt from the pump attendant, go inside and get your groceries, when paying for the groceries REMEMBER to give the propane receipt to the cashier so it can be included as a line item on your receipt, pay for groceries and propane, take both receipts back to the pump attendant, grab your filled tank, leave.

Notice the all caps? If you forget the propane receipt, you end up going back through the cashier lineup again. It's especially aggravating on a busy day when you are in a hurry. :angry3:
Also, write the last 5 digits of your membership number on the top of the tank with a fat sharpie. That is how they know which tank is yours when they are busy and have several tanks waiting to be picked up.

So does one line up in the gasoline line or go to a different place?:argue2:

CNP
01-04-2022, 08:17 PM

Different place from my experience. Ask at the return desk to be sure but in Lethbridge the tire shop provides the person for refilling tanks.

calgarygringo
01-04-2022, 08:49 PM
Costco without a doubt. Pay in the tire shop if not doing groceries etc.

Au revoir, Gopher
01-04-2022, 09:26 PM

When I got a refill at Buffalo Run, there is a buzzer at the big propane tank, someone from the tire centre comes out and fills your tank. Take the receipt inside and pay for.

ARG

Springerman
01-04-2022, 09:43 PM

The Propane fill station at Costco East Hills (Calgary) is in the parking lot on the west side of the entrance about two ailes to the north.

walker1
01-05-2022, 09:37 AM
Costco! I take my 3 20 pounders in at a time and have never paid 30 bucks!!!
Take to attendant, ring bell if not there, get paper copy of bill , go shop and pay at the cashier. Probably about 8-9 to fill a 20.

I would never go in their line for fuel but I drive a diesel anyway!!!

cocktail
01-05-2022, 12:49 PM
Costco without a doubt but the line up to pay can be a little discouraging. But you got to be a member though.

nd4spd
01-05-2022, 12:59 PM
Normally I just go to Co-op. But are they the cheapest or best?

I found the exchange a bottle program anywhere’s to be costly so I have my own.

I bought a new bottle cheapest place I found at Costco.

Anyone get refills at Costco? Do you need to wait in the stupidly long lines? Is there cheaper propane at the Tsuut'ina stations?

I always go to United Rentals on 114Ave across from Princess Auto.
Tuesdays its about $11 for a 20LBS and Thursdays is $21 for a 30lbs (or something like that - don't quote me on those exact prices)

Never a line-up either.

gordfishing
01-05-2022, 01:45 PM
Most Calgary Co-op's

JBE
01-05-2022, 04:42 PM
Most Calgary Co-op's

Coop charges close to $25

colvert
01-05-2022, 05:47 PM
Coop charges close to $25

Rip off at COOP unless it's next to your home...

Sundancefisher
01-07-2022, 12:16 PM
When I got a refill at Buffalo Run, there is a buzzer at the big propane tank, someone from the tire centre comes out and fills your tank. Take the receipt inside and pay for.

ARG

Yup. Propane is right in front of the tire centre. Drove over to report on price and fill a bottle.

It was out of service lol.

Wasted propane trip.

urban rednek
01-13-2022, 11:44 AM
Filled a 20 lb. tank at the Costco Easthills location this morning. $12.64 at $0.79 /l

kevinhits
01-13-2022, 04:19 PM
During the cold snap, Costco propane was closed so went to coop and filled a 30lb tank for $40.

Went to Costco yesterday and filled 2- 30lb and 1-20lb tanks for $40.:sHa_sarcasticlol: