PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my bush gun

Smoky buck
01-05-2022, 05:35 PM
I have really taken a liking to my Marlin 336 30-30 as a bush gun especially out of the tree stand

So I decided to show it a little love in the off season. Went with a bigger loop for a better fit when wearing gloves. A synthetic stock because I am prone to putting deep scratches in wood. Also had it creakoted in burnt bronze to protect it as well

Had the work done at custom gunworxs. He did a good job and was a nice guy to deal with

Now I just need to decide on what I am going to upgrade my optics too

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220106/8e37edf83d839991736b462d5e098fc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolftrapper
01-05-2022, 05:41 PM
Very nice. I like it.

shooter55
01-05-2022, 05:47 PM
Nice! always like a good lever. The 336 has a great action

graham1
01-05-2022, 05:47 PM
That. Looks. Cool!!

Where did you get the large lever loop?
I’ve been wanting one for my 336 as well

JohnB
01-05-2022, 05:48 PM
Very nice. I like it.

X2

Smoky buck
01-05-2022, 05:52 PM
That. Looks. Cool!!

Where did you get the large lever loop?
I’ve been wanting one for my 336 as well

Profit river

graham1
01-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Profit river

Thanks

marky_mark
01-05-2022, 05:57 PM
Looks fantastic

catnthehat
01-05-2022, 06:00 PM
Looks great ! Yeah, Bob does VERY nice work!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

Tronneroi
01-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Very cool.

I have a post '64 model 94 that I'd like to do something similar to. I'm afraid to dis-assemble that sucker though!

kw12
01-05-2022, 06:05 PM
Nice looking weapon! I’d put a skinner sight on that for sure!
I have a marlin 45/70 and will be chucking a skinner sight on it shortly. I believe you can even get a bronze model as well!

6MT
01-05-2022, 06:19 PM
Nice! If you’re going to keep open sights, you should look into the Skinner peep.

Natek
01-05-2022, 06:22 PM
love the burnt bronze. looks great

Smoky buck
01-05-2022, 06:32 PM
Likely I will go with a scope or maybe a red dot still not sure

fordtruckin
01-05-2022, 06:40 PM
Where did you get the synthetic stock?

obsessed1
01-05-2022, 06:43 PM
Personally I'd put a skinner sight with rail combo skinner blank in the rear sight and Williams firesight in front. You can then add whatever red dot or scope you want but still have fantastic open sights for when you just want it light and sleek. Personally I don't love a scope on a lever as it tends to mess with the balance, but a small red dot works great. I shot three critters this year with my marlin dark 45-70 and tr25 red dot. I do find I prefer open sights in poor weather though.
Another option for sights is a marbles bullseye rear sight. Really fantastic sight for bush ranges...I'd still pair it with a fiberoptic front sight...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
01-05-2022, 06:49 PM

They are a royal pain to find because they are not being made presently.

Dick284 found a place in Ontario that had some old stock still available. I would have to look receipt to find the name of the place

Trochu
01-05-2022, 07:01 PM
Looks good Smokey. I like the black and bronze combo.

Outbound
01-05-2022, 08:07 PM
I hear alot of people recommending Skinner sights for the 1895. What's the difference betwen them and the XS Ghost Rings and which is better for fast target acquisition?

roper1
01-05-2022, 09:03 PM
Looks good Smokey. I like the black and bronze combo.

^^^^^Agreed^^^^^

EZM
01-05-2022, 09:15 PM
Looks great - nothing like it out there - the bronze cerakote was a good call.

obsessed1
01-05-2022, 09:57 PM
I hear alot of people recommending Skinner sights for the 1895. What's the difference betwen them and the XS Ghost Rings and which is better for fast target acquisition?Skinners std peep comes threaded with an insert you can use the peep or the ghost ring.. the std XS ghost ring is not threaded so accuracy past about 70yds gets tough. Peeps can be extremely accurate ghost rings not as much. Skinner gives you best of both worlds.

I have a tap coming so I can thread my xs to fit a common insert from skinner or lymans. That's the goal anyways

58thecat
01-06-2022, 06:26 AM
Hmmmm I kinda liked the ol’shootin’iron but hey ya gotta play a bit and make it yours:)

teledogs
01-06-2022, 06:34 AM
Beauty! Nice choice of color!

Smoky buck
01-06-2022, 07:52 AM
Hmmmm I kinda liked the ol’shootin’iron but hey ya gotta play a bit and make it yours:)

Always one in the crowd lol ( just busting your balls )

All things were done for a purpose beyond cosmetic except for the choice in creakote color. If you have seen what has happened to my past wood stocks you would understand why it had to go. My hand without gloves doesn’t fit too well in a standard lever. With gloves I cycle the action with my thumb. After I add a paracord wrap to the big loop lever it will be a perfect fit and comfortable. Since it was coming a part anyway I figured I might as well protect the metal with creakote

How it turned out cosmetically is just a product of the changes for function and durability. I am way to cheap to invest into a rifle for cosmetics only. This was done because I like the rifle and want it to withstand what I will put it through along with improving comfort of use

kw12
01-06-2022, 08:34 AM
Likely I will go with a scope or maybe a red dot still not sure

A red dot will look slick as well never thought of that!

Outbound
01-06-2022, 08:39 AM
Skinners std peep comes threaded with an insert you can use the peep or the ghost ring.. the std XS ghost ring is not threaded so accuracy past about 70yds gets tough. Peeps can be extremely accurate ghost rings not as much. Skinner gives you best of both worlds.

I have a tap coming so I can thread my xs to fit a common insert from skinner or lymans. That's the goal anyways

I might have to look into a set. I have the 1895 SBL with the LeverRail and XS Ghost ring sight. It's mainly a bear defence/camp/close range hunting gun for me, sub-100 yards most of the time. Being able to push out a little further wouldn't hurt though.

Smoky buck
01-06-2022, 08:42 AM
A red dot will look slick as well never thought of that!

My brother has one on his Henry and really likes it but unfortunately I didn’t get to try it when he was here hunting

I like the idea of how fast it is but I am hesitant because I have not used one to judge if it would effect my accuracy

Puma
01-06-2022, 09:27 AM

I did up a JM 336 RC in .35 Rem. :sHa_shakeshout:

I got my stock set from Natchez Shooters Supplies.

Ackleyman
01-06-2022, 09:45 AM
That rifle is a beauty . The big loop compliments it. :happy0180:

obsessed1
01-06-2022, 09:49 AM
My brother has one on his Henry and really likes it but unfortunately I didn’t get to try it when he was here hunting

I like the idea of how fast it is but I am hesitant because I have not used one to judge if it would effect my accuracyRed dots are very intuitive I generally have no issue hitting steel plates to two hundred yards once hold over is figured out. I do notice my cheaper ones ( tr25) produce too much intensity even at lowest power for first/ last light in dark timber. You get a lot of red haze which makes target identification really hard..in good light they are fantastic. My tr25 holds great zero and can be removed and replaced with no zero change. I have starburst astigmatism so for me a red dot is not a circle but rather a irregular star shaped blob which makes real fine precision very tough but I have no issue hitting a 8" plate out to 200yds with my 336 or 1895 and the red dot.

58thecat
01-06-2022, 10:51 AM
Always one in the crowd lol ( just busting your balls )

All things were done for a purpose beyond cosmetic except for the choice in creakote color. If you have seen what has happened to my past wood stocks you would understand why it had to go. My hand without gloves doesn’t fit too well in a standard lever. With gloves I cycle the action with my thumb. After I add a paracord wrap to the big loop lever it will be a perfect fit and comfortable. Since it was coming a part anyway I figured I might as well protect the metal with creakote

How it turned out cosmetically is just a product of the changes for function and durability. I am way to cheap to invest into a rifle for cosmetics only. This was done because I like the rifle and want it to withstand what I will put it through along with improving comfort of use

I hear ya as I got two JM stamped pre cross bolt safety marlins and that is the only reason I have not modified them.
Big loop is a bonus and additional protection keeps them purdy longer and like I said it is yours to hunt with and hunt with it you will.
I would go with peep sights or something similar if your hard on items a scope might be too soft for your style!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonical
01-06-2022, 01:29 PM
On any rifle you can't beat a low power variable, 1-5x, 1.5-6x, 2.5-8x etc...

In the timber I carry a Marlin M1895 XLR .45-70 and I've got a Leupy Vari-X3 2.5-8x.

Smoky buck
01-06-2022, 01:38 PM
I was running a 2x7 Bushnell but it doesn’t have the best eye relief which was an annoyance when shooting in awkward positions

So it’s either a red dot or find a scope with better eye relief

Wisebuck
01-06-2022, 02:55 PM
You, sir have done that rifle justice!! I'm a traditional wood stock guy but that with the ceracote is a thing of beauty...... williams makes a great peep sight that mounts to rear top scope mount. I have one on my rifle, also a blade hammer extention made by Ranger Point available through Wolverine Supplies canada. The best of the best :sHa_shakeshout: .https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/images/items/Fullsize/RPPBIN71A.jpg?t=637430999619711888 They come for all versions of lever guns just shop around a bit.