PDA

View Full Version : Norton 360 Now Comes With a Cryptominer

Cross Eyed Cowboy
01-06-2022, 04:10 PM
All the Norton Anti Virus fans may want to check out the following article about Norton's recent escapades.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/01/norton-360-now-comes-with-a-cryptominer/

Stinky Buffalo
01-07-2022, 05:54 PM
Well well well... That's the final nail in the coffin for that suite for me now.

I begrudgingly put up with the forced subscription prompts (unsubscribing right after installing), but more and more it's behaving like AdWare. Ugh.

flyrodfisher
01-07-2022, 06:14 PM
Well well well... That's the final nail in the coffin for that suite for me now.

I begrudgingly put up with the forced subscription prompts (unsubscribing right after installing), but more and more it's behaving like AdWare. Ugh.

You have to want the miner to be installed...it asks you....
If you don't want it...don't install it...simple

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/7/22869528/norton-crypto-miner-security-software-reaction

Also after installing the program...go and delete your billing info...that way there will be no automatic billing to worry about in the future.

Iron Brew
01-08-2022, 12:45 AM
I ran a crap cleaner on my laptop. Getting rid of Norton was worse than a virus.

calgarygringo
01-08-2022, 05:21 AM
Just another waist and resources sucker by Norton. Save your money, these guys are just a fear mongering cash grab.

sewerrat
01-08-2022, 07:39 AM
I have Norton, costs me $135.00 a year, and they keep asking for my new credit card number. My subscription is up on January 22, but they extended it for another month as they don’t want to lose me as a customer.

I had started a thread about this a month ago.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=405955&highlight=Antivirus

32-40win
01-08-2022, 02:41 PM
Had Norton on the computer when I bought it 12 yrs ago, only took me a week or so to determine it was something I didn't want on it. It is perfidious though, have to clean every corner to get it out of there.

ssyd
01-09-2022, 12:05 AM
People still trust Norton? Past experiences trying to remove it should have scared people away years ago. Anything pretending to "protect" the user shouldn't make itself so difficult to remove.

Go to Avast. Unless you're a hacker drawing attention to yourself any free AV suite is sufficient....

muirsy
01-09-2022, 01:00 AM
I've been using a mac since 2007 and haven't seen a virus since - I can't believe PC's still haven't figured that feature out, it's mind-blowing.

CptnBlues63
01-09-2022, 08:21 AM
Norton originally made a decent product but after the company sold, it went downhill. To be totally honest, and keep in mind I've been working in IT for over 25 yr's now, MS's Defender is a decent product if you're looking just for antivirus. I've been using it for years and it doesn't cost me a dime, doesn't hog resources and doesn't bother me with subscription requests.

As for cryptomining, IMHO you're wasting your time. Unless you have the $$$ to build a crypto mining computer system, you're not going to realize any money from paying for that ad-on with the latest Norton suite running on your home PC.

huntsfurfish
01-09-2022, 11:47 AM
People still trust Norton? Past experiences trying to remove it should have scared people away years ago. Anything pretending to "protect" the user shouldn't make itself so difficult to remove.

Go to Avast. Unless you're a hacker drawing attention to yourself any free AV suite is sufficient....

Easy to remove protection isnt really protection. Hackers and bad actor programs can remove and replace your easy to remove protection with a look alike that they have control over.

Removing Norton is easy you just have to install the Norton removal tool from their site.

Cross Eyed Cowboy
01-09-2022, 03:47 PM
I've been using a mac since 2007 and haven't seen a virus since - I can't believe PC's still haven't figured that feature out, it's mind-blowing.

So your of the opinion or you have been led to beleive that Mac's are not prone or less prone to malware/viruses?

I've been using Windows since it's introduction to market decades ago and I've never had issues with Malware/Viruses etc, so what does my statement mean?...nothing!

Your just regurgitating a myth started by Apple which is absolutely nonesense.

A good article from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dwightsilverman/2021/05/27/apple-says-malware-is-a-problem-on-macs-so-bad-is-it/

muirsy
01-09-2022, 08:13 PM
So your of the opinion or you have been led to beleive that Mac's are not prone or less prone to malware/viruses?

I've been using Windows since it's introduction to market decades ago and I've never had issues with Malware/Viruses etc, so what does my statement mean?...nothing!

Your just regurgitating a myth started by Apple which is absolutely nonesense.

A good article from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dwightsilverman/2021/05/27/apple-says-malware-is-a-problem-on-macs-so-bad-is-it/

Oh I'm sure it happens. I'm just saying that nobody I've ever met who's owned a mac has never had a virus.

You're the first person I've ever heard say that you've been trouble-free with a PC. Anecdotally, you're in the minority for sure.

Trochu
01-09-2022, 08:21 PM
I'm just saying that nobody I've ever met who's owned a mac has never had a virus.

The main reason I stick with PC! :sHa_shakeshout:

muirsy
01-09-2022, 08:23 PM
The main reason I stick with PC! :sHa_shakeshout:

Lol darn auto-correct

Fish along
01-10-2022, 11:32 AM

Im a computer idiot and i was advised to get Avast or Malware Bytes, so i chose the later and it seems ok.:)