PDA

View Full Version : 3D printing

dfarms11
01-06-2022, 05:01 PM
Just wondering what all you guys have made 3D printing? I'm wondering How difficult it would be to make a solid fit case to hold tools, toys, electronics, etc? Also how much it would cost for materials for such a project?

Ken07AOVette
01-06-2022, 05:47 PM
I have 4 printers, have been doing it a few years. Size is the biggest issue, most do not have a huge build plate. My biggest is 12x12x18".

I design as well, simple things without complex curves.

Do you have a size in mind?

Filament is not super expensive, most people just do it for a hobby but some have big print farms with lots of gear.

dfarms11
01-06-2022, 10:54 PM
I'd have to measure to be exact but I'd guess just a bit bigger than that. Most likely 12*14 but would need to have a border around it as well. Basically want to enclose an impact gun in a case. I know I could just go buy one too but would just be neat to be able to make one yourself

Ken07AOVette
01-06-2022, 11:17 PM
I'd have to measure to be exact but I'd guess just a bit bigger than that. Most likely 12*14 but would need to have a border around it as well. Basically want to enclose an impact gun in a case. I know I could just go buy one too but would just be neat to be able to make one yourself

I think I have an idea what you are doing. Something that big gets expensive. Not including design, I charge the cheapest I have heard of at $4 per hour. I have printed little 2 piece cabinets for my boat at 8X8X8" roughly, that took about 40 hours per. For big prints it's not cheap.

wallz
01-07-2022, 09:39 AM
Not to take away from the OP question,

Ken, have you ever printed coloured AR style hand grips?

Grizzly Adams1
01-07-2022, 09:43 AM
General consensus I get from a machinist group I belong to is, just another toy and you'd better learn Auto Cad in three dimensions. Slow if nothing else, but good for one offs. Son just ordered one. I'm waiting to see :D They also make 3 D metal printers, but that's a totally different ball game and price point.

Grizz

Stubb
01-07-2022, 10:47 AM
They are great for one off’s. Very slow as said.
$4 per hour is very reasonable.
This took 24 hours on mine.

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2022, 12:34 PM
Not to take away from the OP question,

Ken, have you ever printed coloured AR style hand grips?

I haven't but have seen them

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2022, 12:42 PM
I do have the experimental extruder for my expensive printer, which will knock 75% of the time off but it doesn't come with instructions and settings. When I get it working well it will be much quicker.