PDA

View Full Version : Bmw X3

omega50
01-07-2022, 01:17 PM
Was behind a late model X3 yesterday on glare ice in a Timmies drive thru.
Bizarre how bad it was on ice. Everytime he hit the brakes the fronts stopped turning, but the drivers side rear wheel kept turning and moving him sideways
Brake lights on and rear wheel never stopped turning

WTH could be going on?
Does X-Drive stand for X-asperating

Thought I was going to have to push him to get going

Jayhad
01-07-2022, 07:16 PM
the problem is right in your title. BMW X3, my wife's best friend had one, nothing but problems but the final straw was when this 5' 120lb women braked so hard she broke the brake pedal arm off of its pivot point.

lmtada
01-07-2022, 08:10 PM
Stay away from used German vehicles. Cost big bucks to fix. Most likely electrical issues.

EZM
01-07-2022, 08:35 PM
My experience with BMWxi models has been different ...

We have owned (2 cars and 2 SUV's). They were all far superior to other AWD vehicles we had including a Subaru outback, AWD GMC Acadia, Honda Pilot AWD and any truck I have owned. Trucks, of course, are probably the worst vehicles on ice.

I always thought these vehicles were extremely responsive and the active AWD system was pretty amazing. Even my M3 (car) with winter tires/wheels was like a rally car and used to have fun blasting around in the industrial park where I used to work. We would time each other around the loop and bet lunch or whatever on it. It was all fun and games until one of the warehouse kids (Brand new Subaru WRX) broke loose on the corner, went through the snow bank and slammed his wheel sideways on the curb ..... ouch .... that was an expensive game. We didn't make him buy lunch. We told him he would have smashed the record if he made the last corner ....lol

The one drawback is I see people driving these vehicles with the low profile summer tires - which is simply ridiculous. Doesn't matter what AWD system you have if you are riding on low profile sport tires.

People spend premium money on a nice vehicle but are too darn cheap to buy winter tires and wheels.

But yes, these cars can be expensive to fix. I never owned one long enough (or off warranty) but I've heard some first hand horror stories.

sako1
01-07-2022, 09:38 PM
Was behind a late model X3 yesterday on glare ice in a Timmies drive thru.
Bizarre how bad it was on ice. Everytime he hit the brakes the fronts stopped turning, but the drivers side rear wheel kept turning and moving him sideways
Brake lights on and rear wheel never stopped turning

WTH could be going on?
Does X-Drive stand for X-asperating

Thought I was going to have to push him to get going
It was probably having a hard time with traction from all of oil it was leaking out

amosfella
01-07-2022, 10:09 PM
Stay away from used German vehicles. Cost big bucks to fix. Most likely electrical issues.

The 04 mercedes 4matic wagon has been almost dead reliable. It got me through storms that I watched many other people with SUvs and trucks spinning into the ditches. And I was on worn winter tires. I stopped counting between callgary to vulcan at 75. Still passed many more vehicles in the ditches, including an ambulance (which I did stop and try to help) and a snowplow.

EZM
01-08-2022, 07:28 PM
I did a little reading on this the other day .... arguably the best AWD systems in the world are German - Audi quatro, BMW x drive, Mercedes 4matic and VW 4motion are all based on a similar (or same) technology as these were co developed by these makers.

I do not realize these auto makers shared research and technology here and that, in fact, porsche, audi, VW are identical and the BMW and Mercedes systems are almost the same with some very minor (almost insignificant) changes - pretty much the same type of system.

Based on what I read - All of these systems are IDEAL for ice and road conditions for passenger vehicles travelling on icy roadways and were developed specifically for icy pavement and city/highway travel primarily.

The Subaru system seems to be unique (as it's asymmetrical) but, again, similar but distinct in this regard. This system is excellent for conditions on both roadways and on loose/soft surfaces as well.

Interesting to watch you tubes and comparisons on this stuff and see the difference in certain scenarios - pretty cool.

It's also of interest to note that the best system on soft snow or gravel (where Subaru excels) is not the best on the hard surfaces or ice (where German technology seems to be very strong). I guess it makes sense if you think about it - totally different conditions.

mooseknuckle
01-08-2022, 08:54 PM
I always wondered, are signal lights an option on bmw's? Swear more than half the ones I encounter never seem to use them.

EZM
01-08-2022, 09:03 PM
I always wondered, are signal lights an option on bmw's? Swear more than half the ones I encounter never seem to use them.

YUP, lol .... seems this happens on two spectrums of the social ladder - the high priced elite champion crowd and the lifted RAM TOUGH metal mulisha mirrors fully deployed "look at me" guy.

One of these groups parks where they want, when they want, cut in front of you in any line, because they are more important than you and the other is convinced they are racing everyone at every green light and comparing the size of their "tires" with everyone around them.

I an equally annoyed and entertained by them both some days.

WV911
01-08-2022, 10:35 PM
Do you know the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

On a porcupine the pr**ks are on the outside

270person
01-08-2022, 10:40 PM
YUP, lol .... seems this happens on two spectrums of the social ladder - the high priced elite champion crowd and the lifted RAM TOUGH metal mulisha mirrors fully deployed "look at me" guy.

One of these groups parks where they want, when they want, cut in front of you in any line, because they are more important than you and the other is convinced they are racing everyone at every green light and comparing the size of their "tires" with everyone around them.

I an equally annoyed and entertained by them both some days.

You nailed it. Wish I still had my Beemer. Best go cart out there and you owned my favorite in the M3.

Shame some of the stuck in Detroit crap forever guys never had the opportunity to drive one. Probably change tunes pretty quick.

Worst drivers out there are behind the wheels of 1/2 and 3/4 tons.

WV911
01-08-2022, 11:04 PM
You nailed it. Wish I still had my Beemer. Best go cart out there and you owned my favorite in the M3.

Shame some of the stuck in Detroit crap forever guys never had the opportunity to drive one. Probably change tunes pretty quick.

Disclaimer: I drive a Ram
but, you are right. Every time I am passed or see a pass ahead of me on a really stupid part of the highway, usually on 22 between Cochrane and Sundre, its a lifted truck, usually a Ram. But maybe thats because no one up here drives a BMW/Mercedes/Audi

ssyd
01-08-2022, 11:59 PM

100% agree except for the (not very) small caveat that nothing has the off-road capability of a 4WD truck with locking diffs. However on icy city roads 4 months out of the year Jeep Wranglers, most half-tons and all crossovers are a joke compared to a proper rally-inspired AWD system.

Dean2
01-09-2022, 07:17 AM
I am not a fan of German cars because they are so damn expensive to fix, but I agree with a couple of the others, their AWD systems for on pavement use are miles ahead of pretty much anything else made.

Op, what you saw with the rear wheels still pushing forward when you have the brakes on happens on most other 4x4s and rear wheel drive vehicles of any type too and has for years. Unless you have the brakes on real hard the rear wheels will want to push. Almost all braking systems are front biased, if you want to stop as fast as possible in 4x4 and RWD vehicles, pop it into neutral to take the drive off the rear wheels. It is something that is taught in advanced driving control lessons for emergency braking on ice without skidding. If you want to try this out yourself, go to an empty parking lot that is really slippery and have someone watch your vehicle as you apply the brakes lightly to stop, then progressively harder each time. Then try the feel of stopping after popping the vehicle into neutral. If you can find a spot with a downhill to it the effect is even more pronounced. You will be surprised how much quicker you stop and how much less skidding there is.

Positrac
01-09-2022, 07:40 AM
We have a 2012 BMW X1 AWD. BMW calls it a wagon. It’s basically a small 4 door 4-cyl hatchback. There are things I don’t like about it but so far I’m very impressed with the AWD system in snow/ice. It’s low to the ground so clearance on un-paved roads is an issue but it handles great on ice or packed snow, both surfaces where other 4wd vehicles can have issues.

pittman
01-09-2022, 01:50 PM
My wife just picked up an A4 all-road. The quality and attention to detail is leaps and bounds above anything made in North America.

The ground clearance is decent and with winter tires it's pretty hard to keep up with on snow or ice. I suspect the tires on the X3 were the problem, not the vehicle.

6.6L/100km a few weeks ago going down to Lethbridge - both ways.